Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:08:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690715
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Guard's Guard's. (Ancient Barbarian on horse back finished)  (Read 15028 times)

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
Re: 'Guard's Guard's' inspired Frostgrave ( sculpting Wip no.10 added 21/02)
« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2021, 11:52:24 AM »
These are wonderful - and as said before, really match the 'feel' of the books.

I'd love to see Agua and the Witches if only because I'm a completist and they are some of my favourite characters. The witches themselves would make an interesting 'magic' faction.
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2021, 12:57:34 PM »
Excellent!

I think if you are doing more than 10 figures then having two themed warbands (each with a Wizard/Apprentice) would make sense. As Hammers suggested at the start of the thread one could be Ridcully/Rincewind supported by the Night Watch (and the Librarian) and the other could be the Witches (Weatherwax/Aching) supported by other Lancre characters.

If you do do the Witches I vote for Nanny Ogg's intelligent, fat, foul smelling and ferociously villainous cat Greebo. If you need any inspiration then it might help to recall that he is described as looking "evil in an interesting kind of way, like a pirate who really understood the words "Jolly Roger."

Greebo would make an excellent "Warhound" in Frostgrave game terms, on the basis that (as noted in Wiches Abroad) "​... it is almost impossible to develop decent swordsmanship when you seem to have run into a foodmixer that is biting your ears off."

Also I have been looking for an interesting cat sculpt that I can paint up in a likeness for our household moggie (even though she is sweet natured and rather nervous, not like Greebo at all!).

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2021, 02:39:03 PM »
Cheers Chaps,
But I wasn't happy with the latest sculpt so it's been tweaked .To something that just feels ,well just more.
As you all seemed disappointed that they weren't being cast I asked the league. Who were more than amused (as they were originally part of their original challenge.) They'd no interest in casting them. But didn't mind if I did get them cast as they see it as a Win, Win situation.
So Chris is going to have cast them cast as a Sally 4th range.
Which initially means sixteen figures to start(four packs of four mins)
 Which sort of throws a spanner in the works. As I'd originally planned on the core four characters of Guard's Guard's. Plus the Librarian . The plug the gaps with characters from other watch stories.
The wizards and apprentice being covered by the two wizards sculpted so far. Then the Foster mother of dragons being an option to swap in or out.
So now I'm still non the wiser on a one off Frostgrave project.
Which has to expand into a range of fantasy figures that have to appeal to more than one rule set.
For now I'm going to ignore that issue and make another wizard or two . Rework the dodgy guard running with a tourch and add three more guards on more moving and two in static 'guard' poses.
Then another character pack of Guard's.
But I think before the guards I'll tackle some witches. As they seem to be popular choices.
As for the Librarian not sure if he should be in a familiar/ sidekick set.
Then a troll or two ;D
But then it depends on Chris and the random last minute stretch goals( these always turn up )
So I suspected this is going to get out of hand .

But for now I'm open to suggestions for figures.Or characters. As it appears I've forgotten more than I remember and Know even less than I thought .( Now that I'm re reading the books.)

A Greebo is on the card's too.As I literally have one. A one eyed black 1/2 Forest cat.
Who is a complete self centered arse of an animal.Last night he removed the chimney stack and roughly a third of the veg patch from the farm tile I'd only recently built. Plus pluck virtually every grass tuft from the castle gate I used as a backdrop in some of the photos. I'd swear on it being because I'd forgotten to given him any kibbles before I went to bed.
Plus he sleeps on top a teddy bear and growls if anyone goes near it.

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2021, 02:49:43 PM »
If you're looking for sidekick suggestions, Igor gets my vote.

Lancre witches definitely, along with some of the locals, eg Nanny Ogg's sons

Oh, and some time monks, if you have a spare five minutes :D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2021, 02:54:51 PM by zemjw »

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2021, 05:00:36 PM »
I think Mark has done an excellent job on these miniatures, and I'm looking forward to adding them to the Sally 4th Miniatures range, expanding the Classic Movie range into Classic Movie & Book range!

As soon as Mark has finished his magic, we'll get a few test casts, get a set painted up and get a Kickstarter running. What we like to do is take suggestions from backers about how to expand the range, and then take a vote from backers to decide which new packs to add as stretch goals.
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 'Guard's Guard's' inspired Frostgrave ( sculpting Wip no.11 added 22/02)
« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2021, 09:40:53 PM »
Not a brilliant picture .
But should give a rough idea until it's finished. As suggested an Igor complete with it's dolly.( not an easy thing to see in the pic but its there non the less at the side of his left shoe.)
To be honest it's fallen out of the clay with very little argument. Still need to do some rivets on its head and the left forearm needs a little attention.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #81 on: February 23, 2021, 09:27:41 AM »

As for the Librarian not sure if he should be in a familiar/ sidekick set.

He'ss probably the  smartest of the staff of UU. I would field his as a captain, barbarian or special character.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #82 on: February 23, 2021, 09:31:09 AM »
As an alternative band, or perhaps as thugs, you could do Foul Ole Ron, Coffin Henry, The Duck Man, Arnold Sideways, Altogether Andrews and Gaspode the  Wonderdog of the Canting Crew. :)

Offline Vanth

• Librarian
    • Warcolours Miniature Painting Studio
« Reply #83 on: February 23, 2021, 10:50:25 AM »
Love the sculpts and wouldn't want to be the one who throws a spanner in the works, but wouldn't there be copyright issues to deal with if this becomes a commercial thing?
Vanth
"...there are more things in Heaven and Earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in thyne philosophy..:"

http://www.warcolours.net
https://www.facebook.com/warcolours
https://www.etsy.com/shop/WarcoloursMiniatures
https://www.instagram.com/warcoloursminiatures/

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #84 on: February 23, 2021, 02:36:53 PM »
I'm assuming that these miniatures are Marks original work inspired by Terry Pratchett rather than being copies of a particular illustration from the book? In which case, no problem at all. When we sell them the characters will of course be renamed to protect the innocent. A bit like our inspired by Casablanca pack where we have 'The American', 'The Lady', 'The Pianist', 'The Inspector' etc.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #85 on: February 23, 2021, 04:46:21 PM »
These are brilliant minis mate. Top sculpting work!

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2021, 01:27:01 PM »
A little better picture.
Vanth,
It's a fair point to raise.  There's several thing's and conversations going on at once in this thread. The initial challenge was to build a Frostgrave Warband inspired by Guard's Guard's. Then there's people's thoughts and musings on what they'd like to see in a Warband.
Then there's the evolution of the sculpting and the transformation of the initial ten figures required into a fantasy kickstarter.
The inspired part is simple it's not directly copying a character. For example Rincewind has specific details such as the star on his hat and the word 'Wizzard' stitched on the front of his hat. None of this detailing is sculpted on to my wizard.
His actions in the books predominantly involve running away from things ' away being important part as the too takes care of it's self' and that paraphrasing is the inspiration for the pose of the Wizard. The actual clothing and appearance is not the same as the description in the book.
It's simply a figure in a pointy hat running. Not actually Rincewind. The fact I was intended on using him as Rincewind .Was reliant on how I painted it. All the detailing on the figure would have been Related to the character I would have painted on .
Because this was originally a personal project. Now the figures I've sculpted are all in a similar vein. None are in the styling of official figures or official illustrations.
Pratchet described Carrot as being called Carrot due to his shape and having short clipped hair.
I haven't followed that discription. The figure I built has curly hair nor does he have a V shaped body. He's just tall.
Now my inspiration for a figure is a combination of the state Carrot,Nobby,and Fred get into after an Bar fight. And the line ' No booldy lizard does that to me'(again paraphrased)
Again any correlation to the character would be through painting not intentionally built into the figure.
looking back you can see I initially made a different figure to represent MY Personal figure once painted  of Nobby .Which I didn't feel was right as what I was making was pointed out gave a Kirby vibe. This is not what I intennd. So the figure was totally remade and the styling was kept to my personal sculpting preference.
I don't make' NOT figures. 'Which was and is a condition of the figures I do for Chris. 
I really don't llike Not figures .A quick look at Chris's Thing inspired figures.The monster is a grotesque and twisted 'Thing' but it is nothing like the one in the movie.
In summary
These figures are not the characters from the book only inspired by single line's or situations . They're not E fits of the descriptions of the characters.
Theres a tall bloke, a fat bloke, a short bloke,and a middle aged bloke in armour. That with my skill set . I will go and paint to represent a set of figures for Frostgrave that will give the feel of the characters They could just as easily be painted as other characters. At which point they'd look like something else.
The uber simple example is you can sculpt a wizard and paint it to look like Gandalf the grey.
But you can sculpt Gandalf the grey and paint it.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 01:30:34 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2021, 02:01:05 PM »
Just to bring some levity back.
I really do have an ass incarnate of a one eyed black cat.
This look is because I dared to sit on the other end of 'his' sofa.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2021, 03:39:16 PM »

........The actual clothing and appearance is not the same as the description in the book.
It's simply a figure in a pointy hat running. Not actually Rincewind.

Maybe not Rincewind, but certainly bears an almost uncanny similarity to:

Limited edition Perf from the licensed "Journey Quest" figure range. (not my image, cropped from a picture on the Reaper forum)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I think I've seen a little of the series on Amazon. I might give a try again. But it wasn't really my cup of tea.
Right I've been a little busy . So I've only just managed some time to take a photo of number 12.
A research Wizard.