Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:01:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Kings of War in 1/72 (scratch-built, ahem, Archfiend of the Abyss ...)  (Read 17002 times)

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
Re: Kings of War in 1/72 (swarm and cavalry considerations)
« Reply #75 on: August 01, 2022, 11:37:39 PM »
I downscaled Daves Graffam houses to 20mm and they work great. Here you have an example of a village I did for a WWII game:

As Hobgoblin said, they are sold sometimes very cheap. Besides, most houses bring more than one skin so you can get at leat two houses out of one.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #76 on: August 02, 2022, 12:13:07 AM »
Wow! That's a great-looking set-up - and it shows off the Dave Graffam buildings to full effect!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #77 on: August 03, 2022, 11:14:44 PM »
Grabbed a few minutes from work today to advance the trolls a bit - I hope to finish the first 'regiment' tomorrow. I also played around with some KoW army lists this evening. It looks like troll 'hordes' are a good way to get an army quickly to the table: six figures offers a reasonable amount of 'unlocks'.

I also decided to use my DA HOTT orcs primarily as orclings. I have six HOTT hordes of them, which neatly translates into three KoW swarm 'regiments' or a horde and a regiment. That removes the need to paint up more of them to function as allied goblin units, and I think they look the part next to the PA/Mithril full-grown orcs. I note that a horde of orclings seems to be more formidable than a regiment of goblins in the KoW rules. I'll probably add the Caesar goblins as a newer batch of orclings too, but this way, I've got two or three units ready to go - and no fiddling around with bases!

That clears the way for me to use Battle Valor 'orcians' as goblins - allied or independently. I have 15 wolf riders plus mounted characters, enough for a rabble regiment  and a 'biggit' troop, and various wizards. So, with trolls and allied ogres, they should be enough to field an army of sorts. I was swithering between KoW and HOTT for the BV stuff, but in HOTT it would essentially be duplicating stuff we've already got lots of (warbands and beasts).

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #78 on: August 04, 2022, 09:00:10 AM »
They look really good on those bases. :-*

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #79 on: August 04, 2022, 12:33:12 PM »
Thanks, blacksmith! I have six of those horde bases for HOTT, so I've been trying to devise easy ways of using them in Kings of War as well. The orcling approach (2 x 60 x 40mm = 3 x 40 x 40mm) seems the best way, though I'll still probably assemble some 40 x 40 additional elements so that they can be deployed as KoW goblins too.

For the most part, though, I'm now planning to build a goblin army out of Battle Valor 'orcians'. This photo shows how they compare with DA orcs. The BV figures fit very nicely on 20mm bases (these three will be character models).

As I think that the BV orcs are the best figures going for Uruk-hai in 1/72, I'm going to model the goblin army on Saruman's - albeit with optional generic fantasy elements like shamans and lizard riders! I might even throw in a white-robed wizard to lead them (one of the Elheim figures, I suspect). So these goblins will be goblin-soldiers of greater stature with black liveries bearing the white hand and the S-rune. At some point, I'll look to add Dunlendings (I have some 1/72 Gauls ...) and - of course - half-orc axemen, for which I'll probably use either Tumbling Dice Vikings 'converted' with paint or (maybe) DA half-orcs; there are some with axes.

That will keep a nice visual distinction between my Tolkien-esque 'goblins' (broad, stocky, sallow-skinned, black liveries) and my generic fantasy orcs (big, bulky, purply-grey skinned and with red liveries). No doubt the two will be used as allies - and the DA 'orclings' can also serve as an allied or opposed tribe of goblins once I've got some 40 x 40 bases done for them.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Kings of War in 1/72 (Battle Valor scale comparison)
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2022, 04:30:58 PM »
Here's a finished unit: a regiment of trolls for either an orc or goblin army. I plan to put three more of these together.

As with the other units, the bases will get some greenery at some point.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
Re: Kings of War in 1/72 (troll regiment finished)
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2022, 04:38:54 PM »
I think those make for lovely trolls - I use these orcs you used as ogres.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2022, 05:09:03 PM »
Thanks!

Great minds ... these ogres have been used many times in HOTT (although they're not quite finished).

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2022, 06:15:56 PM »
I also used those orcs for conversions into ogres. I like your converted trolls - the goblin heads work great and the blue-ish skin changes their look. For some reason the troll with the red hood appeals to me a lot!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2022, 07:53:35 PM »
Love the painting on those too - cracking job - keep 'em coming...

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2022, 08:50:35 PM »
Thanks, guys!

Looking at the army lists in Uncharted Empires, I've been struck by the thought that I have lots of old metal models that will base up appropriately on KoW 'heavy infantry' bases (25mm squares) and look about right with 1/72 figures.

For example, the fantastic old Trish Carden lizardmen (Karnac's Reptilian Raiders et al) were made to be based on 25mm squares and are to a 1/72 figure roughly what the Mantic salamanders are to a human 28mm figure. And though the Tom Meier lizardmen are smaller, they'll do the job as salamanders too and are still big and brutish next to 1/72 humans.

The same goes for the Citadel, Grenadier and Ral Partha broo, as I mentioned earlier on this thread - and it occurs to me that the Slann might work well as salamanders. I have at least five of the original cold ones with a mix of Slann and lizardmen riders, and this would be a good excuse to get them all painted up. They'd be hulking next to 1/72 figures, but not more so than a Mantic salamander next to (say) a Perry foot knight.

Oddly enough, I have three of the Mantic salamanders based up on 40mm squares as behemoths in 15mm HOTT - so they'll be usable straight away as tyrants (troglodytes/kroxigor, essentially). And they in turn are about the same size as Tom Meier's troglodytes, so could be mixed together. I think a salamander army in which the 'salamanders' are a mix of Slann and lizardmen by various manufacturers could end up looking wonderfully weird and diverse.

I also have it in the back of my mind that this, and the use of Prince August/Mithril and Ral Partha orcs, will leave us with a couple of armies that will look appropriate against our 1/72 forces and against 28mm figures - should we ever want to enter a KoW tournament.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2022, 10:27:37 PM »
Paint jobs on these look fantastic.

Small request though. When photographing models that were not designed for 1/72 as minis for a 1/72 project, can you include a true 1/72 model in the picture so we can get a sense of how they scale together? Thanks!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2022, 11:12:00 PM »
Paint jobs on these look fantastic.

Small request though. When photographing models that were not designed for 1/72 as minis for a 1/72 project, can you include a true 1/72 model in the picture so we can get a sense of how they scale together? Thanks!

Thanks - and sure!

Here's a 1/72 hoplite with the trolls and with an old Citadel lizardman (rebased tonight to illustrate my point above).

Also, I have solved the problem of 1/72 Elohi by dint of these Grenadier winged warriors ...

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
Re: Kings of War in 1/72 (troll regiment finished + scale shots)
« Reply #88 on: August 07, 2022, 11:55:48 PM »
Excellent painting on those "Trolls". I think I'll steal that idea but for Ogres instead  ;)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Kings of War in 1/72 (troll regiment finished + scale shots)
« Reply #89 on: August 08, 2022, 01:59:33 PM »
@Hobgoblin - these shots are perfect. thanks so much for accomodating!