Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:24:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690716
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon Rampant in 1:72 (Clan of Cyclopes)  (Read 8433 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Fantasy in 1:72 (Spectral Warhost)
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2022, 04:03:44 PM »
Yes, the paintwork is brilliant! I'd never have thought of using a light grey rather than white for the final highlight, but it seems to have worked much better than white - avoiding the 'ragged' look that white drybrushing sometimes produces.

I'm going to have to get some of those undead at some point for our 1/72 armies - and steal your recipe!

Yeah, Ulthuan Grey works perfect. I first used it over the other ghostly citadel paint, Nighthaunt Gloom, when I did these underworlds models.

I agree that white could contrast too much

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2022, 07:42:36 PM »
blimey - top job on those nighthaunt.  :-*

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2022, 04:19:51 PM »
Awesome paintjobs  :-*.
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
Re: Fantasy in 1:72 (Clan of Cyclopes)
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2022, 07:08:27 PM »

Another wave of Covid has rippled through the house, so figured it was time to jump on that second Dragon Rampant warband. I expected this one to take two days as well, but it took a little under four hours so went ahead and put paint to an Elheim warlock figure as well.

The Cyclopes are a ~$10 box of 1:72 fantasy figures from Ukrainian manufacture Dark Alliance (I think Red Box is the company, but Dark Alliance the fantasy brand). The box came with 12 Cyclopes in four different poses. Mersey Suggests giants as 6pt Elite Foot Single Model Units in the Dragon Rampant rulebook, so four models is a full 24point warband.

Fielding a full DR army for about $10 (and having models to spare) is an amazing deal in these dark modern times. Gamers of another popular fantasy wargame are buying single Giant figures for $200? Will four of those complete an army?

My table gaming time is currently on the Blood Bowl pitch where I’m helping commish a six session league. Once that runs it’s course, I’m prioritizing some games of Dragon Rampant. To whet my appetite, above and below are photos of what my two current warbands would look like in action.

I’ve got a few other 1:72 armies I’m hoping to complete before that BB league wraps, so I’m hoping to have a few options to field.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 07:12:29 PM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
Re: Dragon Rampant in 1:72 (Clan of Cyclopes)
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2022, 01:41:28 PM »
A great addition to your warbands. They are lovely figures - very nicely painted
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2022, 03:46:41 PM »
A great addition to your warbands. They are lovely figures - very nicely painted

Thank you!
I agree, the Dark Alliance line has some great little figures. These might not be tied for a particular setting, but after decades of playing in the specifically stylized Old World/LotR/Age of Sigmar sandboxes, it's nice to just do some generic fantasy.

Offline 102-year-old-man

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2022, 11:46:26 AM »
wow, awesome stuff!

How did you paint the bases of the cyclops? I really like your base painting

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2022, 05:45:16 PM »
wow, awesome stuff!

How did you paint the bases of the cyclops? I really like your base painting

Thank you!

For the bases, I do an old school sand/gravel glued onto the base with white pvc glue, prior to spray priming so the primer helps it stay on the base. Then, while painting I use:
1: base of Rhinox hide
2: wash of Agrax Earthshade
3: drybrush of Ushabti Bone
I then spray seal the model when it's ready and after dry I apply some static grass with pvc glue and add the occasional tuft if the base is big enough to warrant the extra detail.

Offline 102-year-old-man

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2022, 09:34:23 PM »
Ok thank you, i'll try this on my figures next time!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2022, 08:15:49 PM »
Really awesome! I don’t (and won’t) start another scale (already got 10, 15, 28 and 35mil Fantasy), but some of those Red Box models could work pretty well in 15/18mm settings, too.

I’m especially keen on the cyclopses and not-balrogs.

How did the game go? It’s a pretty asymmetric game, but looks awesome!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2022, 03:00:14 PM »
Thanks!
I haven't played a game yet, but just set the models up as a preview. I'm in the process of painting about 2 more warbands and making unit cards. I want to have 4 warbands and cards done before I start playing.

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2022, 03:25:15 PM »
You'd be breaking the rules fielding four identical units I seem to recall.  Can't have more than half your warband the same (or did I imagine that?). 

You could make the one with armour Elite foot, the one with the rock heavy missiles and the other two greater warbeasts.  At least they would be a bit different.  I also think Elite foot is a bad match for a dopey giant and greater warbeast is better as wild charge makes them less controllable.  Offensive heavy foot would also work stats/combat wise.  It can take a lot of punishment and dish out quite a bit but not as much as a fire breathing dragon.

(nice painting by the way - they look great)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2022, 03:49:05 PM »
I think the rule you're thinking of is in Lion Rampant. Dragon Rampant doesn't seem to have a restriction on how many of the same unit you can have, so long as you have a minimum of 4 units. Also, Giants as Elite Foot is an example given multiple times in the book, including in the sample warbands in the back.

However, you are right that they should have some variety and I have created extra unit cards for the giants for just such the occasion...like the giant with the boulder over his head being a Heavy Missile Single Model Unit if wanted. I also like the idea of Offensive Heavy Foot. This exercise though was to see how fast I could do a complete warband, so 4 Elite Foot atm.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2022, 03:51:44 PM »
One other way to add variety would be to have the two unarmored ones as Bellicose Foot with the Shiny Armour upgrade (to represent toughness). That takes them to the same points cost as Elite Foot, but with a bit more speed and less control (Wild Charge!).

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2022, 03:47:15 PM »
Bellicose is also a good idea. I'll add cards of that nature too so that any player running the 'Clan of Cyclopes' can have a few options.

Thanks all!