Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:28:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dragon Rampant in 1:72 (Clan of Cyclopes)  (Read 8266 times)

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Dragon Rampant in 1:72 (Clan of Cyclopes)
« on: January 02, 2022, 04:40:06 AM »

The tail end of 2021 came to a halt as family tested positive for Covid-19. Thankfully, symptoms were mild and all are fine. The silver lining is that it seems one can get a lot of hobbying done when their house is quarantining…

Midway through 2021, I got the itch to get back into some fantasy gaming and went back and forth between 28mm or 20mm (1:72). I eventually decided on 1:72 as I’ll be the one providing the sides so needed models that didn’t require much assembly and were quick, easy to paint. Small storage footprint is also a consideration. 1:72 met all of those requirements. Plus, I was still on a high from having fun with my Roswell '98 project in 1:72 (or is it 20mm? Are these two the same? I still don't totally know.)

Expecting to work on this fantasy project in 2022, the quarantine time seemed the perfect opportunity to go ahead and see what painting a Dragon Rampant force would be like at this scale. Using only two boxes from RedBox’s Dark Alliance 1:72 line (Light Warriors of the Dead and Heavy Warriors of the Dead Cavalry) I was able to quickly paint up a more than complete retinue.

I knew when I was going 1:72 that I would incorporate the zombie dragon from the Castle Ravenloft boardgame. I always thought it was a bit undersized for 28mm. Even for 1:72 it could be a little bigger, but it’s very affordable to find online and is an undead dragon that works for this scale as a Warbeast or Single Model Unit.

The leader of the army is the Undead Knight from Elhiem’s recent 20mm fantasy range. Clearly he’s a nod to Lord Soth from Dragonlance fame. Well, I think he is. He’s the first thing I thought of when I saw the model. Either way, a fallen knight leading a host of spectral warriors to new glories appealed. Perhaps they’re not evil, but out to right a terrible wrong? Of course, there’s also the clear nod to the Army of the Dead from the Lord of the Rings. Being a hero model, I placed the knight on a larger base. I figure him for 3HPs and the three support models being 1HP apiece so they can function as a Reduced Model Unit of 6HPs.

Spectral Undead is not a typical army to start off a fantasy project with, but I was able to paint all this up in about two days and all under about $30. Seeing the whole host on display, there are plenty of options from cavalry, foot, missile and even warbeast units to choose from. I think the next Dragon Rampant army is also going to be another “Finish in a weekend” project. It looks like I can get stuck into some fantasy battles a lot quicker than anticipated.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2022, 01:35:10 AM by Jack Hooligan »

Offline Seal

• Librarian
Re: Dragon Rampant in 1:72 (or 20mm)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2022, 07:30:01 AM »
I am a big fan of Dragon Rampant and your excellent painting skill. Cool looking army.  :o

Offline Cacique Caribe

• Mastermind
  • Gelatinous Legal Alien
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2022, 08:31:20 AM »
Where did you find that round stone “hut”?

Dan

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2022, 01:44:30 PM »
Great looking army - and in only two days  :o
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2022, 10:49:39 PM »
Thanks, all!

Where did you find that round stone “hut”?

I believe it's Beehive Hut 2 from Fogou: https://www.fogoumodels.co.uk/dark-age
These hut are great! They fit the spectral models too as these minis are undead dark age warriors.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
Re: Dragon Rampant in 1:72 (Spectral Warhost)
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2022, 03:27:59 PM »
There is a little flash on some of the figures, but the goal was to do this army in two days or less. See if it could be done. Plus, I’ll just handwave the flash as spectral detritus around them or maybe part of the disfigurement cause by death in battle? Heh, either way it’s more noticeable in the photos, not really seen at all at arms length on the table.

What do y'all think?

Offline Storm Wolf

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 03:40:25 PM »
There is a little flash on some of the figures, but the goal was to do this army in two days or less. See if it could be done. Plus, I’ll just handwave the flash as spectral detritus around them or maybe part of the disfigurement cause by death in battle? Heh, either way it’s more noticeable in the photos, not really seen at all at arms length on the table.

What do y'all think?

Jack, It all sounds bloody good to me, it is of course good old electroplasm, is it not!  ;) :D

Glen
Only the insane have strength enough to prosper. Only those who prosper may truly judge what is sane.

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 02:37:22 PM »
Jack, It all sounds bloody good to me, it is of course good old electroplasm, is it not!  ;) :D

Glen

Ha! That's exactly right. ;)
Another good feature of 1:72...small blemishes are hidden to the eye moreso than 28mm.

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2022, 03:23:26 AM »
I didn't even notice the flash. Great work as usual!

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
Re: Fantasy in 1:72 (Spectral Warhost)
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 04:40:39 PM »
Thanks!
I could also do a unit of light mounted, but this retinue seems plenty big as is. It’s probably a better use of hobby time to start on the next retinue.

Offline 102-year-old-man

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2022, 01:13:13 PM »
wow, Jack, your painting work is awesome! o_o 8)

Which colors did you use for those Spectrals?

The Undead Knight from Elhiem is also impressive!

1/72 is just an awesome scale :D

Offline Mr. White

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2022, 07:13:08 PM »
wow, Jack, your painting work is awesome! o_o 8)

Which colors did you use for those Spectrals?

The Undead Knight from Elhiem is also impressive!

1/72 is just an awesome scale :D

Thanks! I agree with the scale, too. I love it.

The ghosts were a pretty straight forward approach:
1) Prime White
2) Wash with Hexwraith Flame
3) Drybrush with Ulthuan Grey (well maybe a little more paint on the brush than a true dry brush)

That's it!

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2022, 08:18:03 PM »
Thats a nice simple palette to use, but it works well on them.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2022, 10:22:56 AM »
They've turned out superbly.  :-*

Online Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2022, 11:01:39 AM »
Yes, the paintwork is brilliant! I'd never have thought of using a light grey rather than white for the final highlight, but it seems to have worked much better than white - avoiding the 'ragged' look that white drybrushing sometimes produces.

I'm going to have to get some of those undead at some point for our 1/72 armies - and steal your recipe!