Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:42:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Any ideas for 1/72 cold-one riders (or similar)? First experiments added!  (Read 3558 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Any ideas for 1/72 cold-one riders (or similar)?
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2022, 03:21:51 PM »
You might find some nice creature types in the Twilight miniatures range.

http://shop.worldoftwilight.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_7

http://shop.worldoftwilight.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_32

Another great call - many thanks!

Here are the fruits of my lunchtime foray. These fellows would work on either 50 x 25 or 50 x 50, but I'll probably go with the latter so that they can occupy the "large cavalry" role in KoW. It also means that they'll be separately based, should I want to use them in skirmish games.

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Any ideas for 1/72 cold-one riders (or similar)? First experiments added!
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2022, 05:58:34 PM »
They look very promising! I especially like the pose with the raptor looking back, it gives the impression that it’s considering taking a snap at the rider (one of the drawbacks of using large carnivores as cavalry mounts).

Offline swiftnick

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2022, 10:00:13 PM »
They are great!

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2022, 10:08:33 PM »
Thanks!

The big challenge now is to work out whether to paint the dragoon-elves in uniform or to take a more 'medieval' approach and have them in individualised costume. I'm leaning towards the latter, but we'll see how a test piece goes tonight!

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2022, 11:39:42 AM »
When I did some goblins on raptors that I already had I painted the goblins as individuals but their "heraldry" colours were drawn from the hide colours on their mounts.
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=134442.msg1718280#msg1718280

'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2022, 12:53:09 PM »
That's a great idea - I may well steal it! I'd completely forgotten about that thread. Which manufacturer are those raptors from? They're very similar to the Tamiya ones, though a lot smaller, so I might well get some to supplement the big ones and allow different sorts of cavalry.

On that note, one thought I had with the Tamiya beasts is that I could base some on 50 x 50 and a couple on 50 x 25 - allowing for them to be fielded as either "large cavalry" or "cavalry" in KoW, etc, merely by changing the central figure (or by having them led by a genuine cold-one rider).

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2022, 04:23:03 PM »
The raptors were bought a long long time ago from the Honourable Lead Boiler Suit Company.  They are still available (I think)
https://www.hlbs-redux.co.uk/28mm-dinosaurs-prehistoric-animals--monsters.html#/

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2022, 04:31:11 PM »
Aha - thanks! That looks a great source of potential saurian steeds!

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2022, 08:59:27 AM »
I think the best you can do is getting STL files for 3d printing and then scale down to 1/72. I just did that with Blood Letters and they turned out great!

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2022, 03:37:17 PM »
I guess you are all set but for others I will second MysteryMachine's suggestion of Battle Valor Scalians. I have some orcians and am using them as 1970s Ral Partha/Minifigs "25mm" scale and I would not have them any larger. For comparison, this pic shows them alongside other 15mm figures (google images source locator failed to find source).

• The scalians also look massive but you might have to do some triangulation viewing pics to get a sense.
  • The humans are more 18mm scale and would not work for 1/72
  • Pics you find online are usually on 40mm bases which you can use in a paint program as a ruler.
  • The orcian wolves might be a tad larger than the scalian mounts but they call for at least a 20x40mm base and look fine on 20mmx50mm.
  • There is also a different Elvian reptilian mount if you prefer that.
  • Be aware the orcian cavalry is cast with the legs on the mount, and I suspect that is done across the board, but you can order most/all mounts separately.
  • The website is down but pics are on FB and their ebay store.

Edit: Scalian "Chameliex" listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/164843617719?hash=item266171fdb7:g:K-8AAOSw-QdgjZuK
Looks like the elvian "sentian" is not in the store but you could ask them.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 05:21:47 PM by Spooktalker »

Offline M.P.

• Mad Scientist
    • Barbaric Frontier
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2022, 03:21:02 PM »
Very interesting idea with the use of dragoons - maybe add redbox elves heads here and there?
My roleplaying/wargaming blog: barbaricfrontier.blogspot.com

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2022, 04:55:34 PM »
Those Deagoon Elves look very promising. Keen to see the end result, here. If you have some leftovers to chop up, it might work out well to do some headswaps. Personally, I’d love something more ancient on them.

Offline MysteryMachine

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2022, 11:57:15 PM »
As ever on LAF, there are some fantastic ideas being shared here!

Hobgoblin, many thanks for the suggestion of the Red Box Osman Sipahi - I can see these making great Dark Elf cavalry with minimal, if any conversion required.

Dadlamassu, the dinosaurs from HLBS look amazing. I think the Deinonychus in particular look like they might be a good match for the raptors from the Dark Alliance Mounted Modern Amazons set, so I have taken a punt on picking some of these up: https://www.hlbs-redux.co.uk/store/p64/Deinonychus_x2_-DI54.html#/

Spooktalker - thanks for the links to the Battle Valor ebay site and the riderless Chameliex models. These look great, but I'm based in the UK, and it would get too expensive with delivery and import costs. A great option for US folks though.

Finally, Hobgoblin, thanks for drawing my attention to the existance of Tumbling Dice and their 1/72 - 25mm lead options. These look like a great way to add some extra variety to plastic sets. It's a pity that the vendor doesn't have pictures on his website, but I found that Paul, of Paul's Bods, has taken the time and trouble to put up a lot of photos and reviews of the Tumbling Dice 1/72 range, which is well worth a look if you want to see what the TD miniatures look like, including in comparison to the various plastic ranges:

https://paulsbods.blogspot.com/search/label/Tumbling%20Dice

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2022, 08:37:08 AM »
Hobgoblin, many thanks for the suggestion of the Red Box Osman Sipahi - I can see these making great Dark Elf cavalry with minimal, if any conversion required.

Yes, I may well pick some up from Hannants or wherever - I went with the Italieri dragoons purely on the basis of instant gratification! But I quite like the idea of a very heavily cavalry-oriented dark-elf force, so may well try building a variety of distinctive-looking units.

Spooktalker - thanks for the links to the Battle Valor ebay site and the riderless Chameliex models. These look great, but I'm based in the UK, and it would get too expensive with delivery and import costs. A great option for US folks though.

Dragonfrog Games has them in the UK - although only in full units with riders. But they're very reasonably priced at under £20 for 16 fairly chunky cavalry figures.

Finally, Hobgoblin, thanks for drawing my attention to the existence of Tumbling Dice and their 1/72 - 25mm lead options. These look like a great way to add some extra variety to plastic sets. It's a pity that the vendor doesn't have pictures on his website, but I found that Paul, of Paul's Bods, has taken the time and trouble to put up a lot of photos and reviews of the Tumbling Dice 1/72 range, which is well worth a look if you want to see what the TD miniatures look like, including in comparison to the various plastic ranges:

https://paulsbods.blogspot.com/search/label/Tumbling%20Dice

Yes, Paul's blog is invaluable for Tumbling Dice. You can see what I mean about the crossbowmen here - I reckon they could be dark-elfed up with an appropriate paintjob. They're a bit stocky, maybe, but the sallets and full helms make them quite sinister-looking, and 1/72 is a forgiving scale!