Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 07:08:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691086
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 859
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fifty shades of pike grey- scifi models in 28mm  (Read 23934 times)

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
Re: Fifty shades of pike grey- scifi models in 28mm
« Reply #75 on: July 10, 2023, 10:31:17 PM »
The servitor X101 from the Blackstone Fortress box.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #76 on: July 12, 2023, 10:09:23 PM »
Moon Base Klasius ruins (GW plastic set). A nice one, but to do properly it needs a little bit more painting effort than the average terrain piece.

Offline Scarper

• Scientist
« Reply #77 on: July 12, 2023, 10:27:18 PM »
Man, I've missed a few!

Love the creepy Doom fellas - I can see how their whole machine / flesh melding vibe would be difficult with some more basic sculpts. You've done a bang-up job though. The oils really sell the uncomfortable 'diseased flesh' feel to them.

I like the darker skintone on the servitor - sounds crazy to say, but I think that might be the first non-white servitor I've seen painted? Nice to see some inclusivity in the inhuman Imperial punishments  lol

Lovely rust effects on the GW ruins. They look more utilitarian and widely usable than most GW terrain. There are only so many gothic skull cyber churches you can fit in most game boards! The off-white is a solid colour choice to really show up the corrosion.

Cheers again for posting - your stuff is always inspiring.

Offline jawd500

• Bookworm
« Reply #78 on: July 12, 2023, 11:29:27 PM »
I've just seen this project log and wanted to say that it's truly inspirational! Great paint jobs, neat conversions and a preponderance of infantry - all get ticks from me.

Since you're a fan of Imperial Guard and alternative system mins, have you ever heard of the old Warzone game from the Mutant Chronicles game? They had a bunch of figures from that which'd be ideal for Guard armies. The game system itself is also very fun, with alternating activation and a not crazy model count (about 20-50 models).

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #79 on: July 14, 2023, 08:59:34 PM »
Thank you guys!
Love the creepy Doom fellas - I can see how their whole machine / flesh melding vibe would be difficult with some more basic sculpts. You've done a bang-up job though. The oils really sell the uncomfortable 'diseased flesh' feel to them.
I really like to paint with oil, has a certain brighness acryl lacks and it is easier to mix (on a figure and on a palette too) since it has a much longer drying time. Ideal for these weird mixed unclean colours like Chaos flesh bitz.
I like the darker skintone on the servitor - sounds crazy to say, but I think that might be the first non-white servitor I've seen painted? Nice to see some inclusivity in the inhuman Imperial punishments
I do not want to disappint you, he was not intended to be a servitorized POC, I painted with my standard rotten flesh scheme (Cadian Fleshtone+purple ink+light flesh-light blue mix drybrush), maybe the pic is a bit darked or I overdid the ink.
Lovely rust effects on the GW ruins. They look more utilitarian and widely usable than most GW terrain. There are only so many gothic skull cyber churches you can fit in most game boards! The off-white is a solid colour choice to really show up the corrosion.
Yes, white+corrosion is a good combo (see my Tau on the previous pages), but I usually paint internal spaces white, it is more lifelike (ever been in a room with dark grey walls? :) ) and makes the models stand out better. I usally add a blue line to the lower spaces, but in this case I skipped it, the piece is busy enough without it.

Great paint jobs, neat conversions and a preponderance of infantry - all get ticks from me.
Dunno why, but to me Imperial Guard was always the mass infantry army, not the tank parking lot some people make it into.
Since you're a fan of Imperial Guard and alternative system mins, have you ever heard of the old Warzone game from the Mutant Chronicles game? They had a bunch of figures from that which'd be ideal for Guard armies. The game system itself is also very fun, with alternating activation and a not crazy model count (about 20-50 models).
I know Mutant Chronicles, but I never played it. When I started 40k (end of 3rd ed) it was already a thing of the past, and no one really played it around here. And, to be honest, most of the sculpts are too goofy for my taste. I own some models, these plastics were converted into Guardsmen, and I also have some of the newer resin sculpts from its miscarriaged renaissance 5-10 years ago, for those I am still thinking what to convert them into.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2023, 10:18:47 PM »
A painting WIP, artist oil on white base. Conclusion: never paint dark grey oil on white base.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2023, 09:41:53 PM »
Old (started 15+ years ago) Zoanthrope sculpt of mine, now got some paint, it can be considered as a paint tester as I plan to shake up my nids a little bit. The classic red-yellow colour scheme, but now I did the red with artist oil, I like how bright it turned to be.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2023, 08:26:59 PM »
The previous WIP finished, Mr Cyberhands.

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #83 on: October 10, 2023, 07:13:09 AM »
This stuff is wonderful, I love how old, new, kitbashed etc. all fits together  perfectly.

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2023, 06:12:15 PM »
This stuff is wonderful, I love how old, new, kitbashed etc. all fits together  perfectly.

Looking forward to seeing more of your stuff.
Thank you! I really think that people temd to exaggregate the role of manufacturer styles and exact figure sizes, as long as they are roughly the same size, painting style and proper basing can really bring together figures from a wide array of manufacturers and sculpting styles. (Where it really matters is conversions.)

Don't worry, more to come :)

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #85 on: October 23, 2023, 01:53:49 PM »
A little Chaos- Plague Marines painted mostly with artist oils.

Mostly new figures, but I also have two oldies, I painted these too, together with the new ones.

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
« Reply #86 on: October 25, 2023, 10:42:59 AM »
Those guys look the business, great pj's.

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2023, 12:48:22 PM »

Love the plague marines, those two old school models are nostalgia fuel for sure. Lovely use of seeds (?) for basing too!

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #88 on: October 25, 2023, 08:45:00 PM »
Thank you, guys! Here is another close-up photo from the plasma gun trooper.

those two old school models are nostalgia fuel for sure
When I decided to paint the Plague Marines, I went through my Chaos-themed bitz to look for more- they both were bought second hand, and neither of them had backpacks, I had to add that. Otherwise they mix well with the new editions, uniform painting and basing ties them together really well.

Lovely use of seeds (?) for basing too!
Yes, they are white birch seeds, I collected them when I parked my car under such tree :) Now I purposefully harvest it from the white birch trees around here, this is the perfect time of the year to do it you just have to avoid rainy weather and harvest them when they are dry. They make cool autumn leaves- I like to base my Chaos models for an autumn forest, more specifically for a sickly autumn forest, Felwood area from World of Warcraft gave me the idea.

Offline Freddy

• Mastermind
    • My blog
« Reply #89 on: November 08, 2023, 11:22:13 PM »
Rogue trader crew, some 3d printed figure, I changed her hand for an IG laspistol one.