Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:40:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Factory Shock Troops Boxed set Review  (Read 8196 times)

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
Wargames Factory Shock Troops Boxed set Review
« on: October 04, 2010, 03:02:37 PM »
I've posted a review of the Wargames Factory Shock Troops boxed set today. Here's a little snipit from it...

These are some of the most highly anticipated plastic models to be released in 2010. After a few shipping delays, and then packaging delays they're finally among us. The Wargames Factory Greatcoat Troopers eventually were renamed the Shock Troopers on the packaging, but elsewhere they're still called the Greatcoat Troopers on the very same packaging. So what to call them is a little confusing at first. I'll just refer to them as the Shock Troopers throughout this article.

What separates most of the Wargames Factory stuff from the majority of the competition, is that they use 3D CAD software to create the models, instead of using a traditional physical model sculptor. They also have in place what they call the Liberty and Union League, which is a program where if a person suggests an idea for a sprue, and if 1,000 people promise to pre-order that sprue, then they'll put that sprue into production, and it can become the next project from Wargames Factory. The person who submitted the idea is rewarded with 10x of those sprues, and is given a $100 gift certificate for Wagames Factory products too. Wargames Factory is also based here in the US, right outside of Boston, Massachusetts.

Upon opening the box you'll find six plastic sprues worth of models. Each sprue is identical, and you can make 3 models from each sprue. Therefore this is an 18 model boxed set of Shock Troopers. I also counted 38 pieces per sprue total.

http://wargameguru.weebly.com/review---wargames-factory-shock-troops-models.html

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
Re: Wargames Factory Shock Troops Boxed set Review
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 06:16:35 PM »
These are some of the most highly anticipated plastic models to be released in 2010

seriously? were they?  ;D

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 07:39:57 PM »
seriously? were they?  ;D

Well they were pushed back once due to a shipping delay, and then after that there were delays with the packaging, and many had pre-ordered them to boot. I can't think of any other sci-fi models released this year that were as anticipated as these due to so many variables, not just based on how cool they are. Can you name another, or was the sole purpose of your post to poke fun, and be sarcastic, just because?

The fact remains, while I don't play 40k much anymore, it and Warmachine are probably the most played, and the most in the spotlight war-skirmishgames games out there, and that crowd, especially the Imperial Guard players, have eagerly awaited the release of these models more than anyone else. That's a pretty big crowd too.

I bet Wargames Factory has cashed in nicely on the massive 40k player base with these models.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 08:25:13 PM »
never anything exciting about their plastics... only good for conversion fodder, but then you don't need a box of 20 of the things and single sprue shipping isn't cost effective... besides they've been out for ages... nothing new about the Liberty League thing either - Eureka beat them to that.

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 08:45:21 PM »
never anything exciting about their plastics... only good for conversion fodder, but then you don't need a box of 20 of the things and single sprue shipping isn't cost effective... besides they've been out for ages... nothing new about the Liberty League thing either - Eureka beat them to that.

Yes but Wargames Factory gave Eureka full credit for that too. I you define "ages" as a couple of months, I guess you could say the Shock Troops have been out forever. However I don't feel 2-3 months tops is "ages", and it's still quite a relevant product.

I cover and produce articles based on the order which I receive the products too, and some companies I guess are just slower than others at sending stuff out, as the Mantic Games Stuff and Wargames Factory stuff ended up in my hands not all that long ago, and then I had to go through the other products that arrived ahead of them first to be fair.

I think relevancy is totally a matter of opinion too.

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 09:06:04 PM »
I'm not going down that road again  ::)

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 09:18:09 PM »
The set I was really looking forward to was Greek hoplites - I've been waiting 32 years since I last managed to get hard plastic ancients.
(Rospaks did a small range of hard plastic 25mm Greeks, Macedonians, Persians)
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 09:38:00 PM »
and the majority of todays plastics can't match the detail and quality of those plastics from 32 years ago... yet people go mad over them... a bucket of Army Men has better depth of detail than some plastics...

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 09:45:22 PM »
I bet Wargames Factory has cashed in nicely on the massive 40k player base with these models.
I would agree but also with their British (Praetorian Guard)

You also have to realize for a relatively newer company, it does take a while to iron out the kinks. I see the details increasing with each set and the price point is still very hard to beat.

I only have some of their vikings but they are quite nice.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 10:09:30 PM »

The fact is, however you feel about the qualities of the products, that there is a large crowd of followers of WF products on their forum. I guess some people might buy some of their figures since they keep making them… ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 11:09:47 PM »
The fact is, however you feel about the qualities of the products, that there is a large crowd of followers of WF products on their forum.

You're right there. They have acquired a big following, and I notice that they won the TMP poll for best new figures of the year with their Vikings. Yes, that's right, according to the TMP electorate, WF's vikings are better figures than the Perrys Wars of The Roses and Napoleonic cavalry sets, not to mention all sorts of top quality metal releases.
To me, the WF Vikings are crudely posed, two dimensional and lacking in surface detail. But there's a big group of people out there who clearly think they're the dog's proverbials.
People are strange  ;)  ::)

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 11:14:22 PM »
and the majority of todays plastics can't match the detail and quality of those plastics from 32 years ago... yet people go mad over them... a bucket of Army Men has better depth of detail than some plastics...

Once again, that's a matter of opinion, and I respect that's how you feel. Personally, plastic or metal it doesn't matter to me which I end up with, as long as "I feel" they look nice, and are worth the price.

To compare the Wargames Factory models to plastic soldiers from 32 years ago is a bit extreme, and I think that's exaggerating things quite a bit too. I sense extreme sarcasm in your words.

I also think it's counter productive on these, or via any forums for people to jump in on a thread, covering a topic they clearly don't care about, just to jump in and spread some negativity.

You don't like plastic you've made that clear, you also made it clear that don't like Wargames Factory models. The name of this thread clearly states what it's about, Wargames Factory Shock Troop models, which you've admitted to being in the know about enough to have an opinion on them, so other than to jump in and poke at me, what was the purpose of your post?

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2010, 11:18:49 PM »
I find myself agreeing with WGG here, nobody's forcing anybody to buy or play with particular toys. I would like to think that we are all mature enough to live and let live.

Offline WarGameGuru

• Scientist
    • WarGameGuru
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2010, 11:22:54 PM »
I find myself agreeing with WGG here, nobody's forcing anybody to buy or play with particular toys. I would like to think that we are all mature enough to live and let live.

Thank you sir. That's my point exactly. I don't really like ACW models, but I don't pop into the those parts of any forum to spread my dislike for the genre.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2010, 11:34:49 PM »
To be fair, your review is quite balanced. You point out the shortcomings in sculpting quality vis a vis the fact that they don't cost much. I haven't seen these in the flesh, but from all the pictures I certainly think these look to be a step up from the Vikings. Let's hope they keep improving...