Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 16, 2024, 02:53:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697744
  • Total Topics: 118855
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: How is Pike and Shot and Zombies?  (Read 40791 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Re: How is Pike and Shot and Zombies?
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2011, 01:51:24 PM »
I quite like the fact that its all scenario play, much more interesting that way imo.

Any skirmish game is better with scenarios - if it hasn't got them, ALWAYS make your own! Or use some from another game  ;)

I wonder if I can get the lads here interested... ;D

If not, leave the Skraelings behind at get your drakkar back to the motherland. I'm game!  lol
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2011, 03:25:40 PM »
I hope you CAN get them interested.
Let us know how the game mechanics is.
"What exactly is a 'Headpiece to the Staff of Ra'?"

RicharDISNEY

Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club

Offline Skrapwelder

• Mastermind
  • Pluviophile
    • What Ho, Cythereans!
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2011, 04:09:41 PM »
I've got them. I'll bring them on Friday if you want to take a looksie.

Offline Cultist #3

• Scientist
  • Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2011, 03:10:17 AM »
Just what I need, ANOTHER zombie game...lol  ;D
Zombies you can outrun - the mistakes of your fellow Heroes you cannot.

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2011, 09:05:38 PM »
Well, got the rules/cards printed off today. I ordered some Mantic Zeds (  >:(  grrrr, brrraaaaiiiinns) and a few Pike and Shotte odds and sodds from Warlord yesterday. Might have a run through some time soon with stand-in models just to give it a play through.

We'll see what happens... ;)

"English is the result of the efforts of Norman men-at-arms to make
dates with Saxon barmaids, and is no more legitimate than any of the
other results." -- H. Beam Piper

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2011, 09:20:21 PM »
DO keep us posted!  :)

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
  • the rat race is over. the rats won.
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2011, 07:24:09 AM »
a bump for keeping us informed.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2011, 10:50:07 PM »
Well, got the rules/cards printed off today. I ordered some Mantic Zeds (  >:(  grrrr, brrraaaaiiiinns) and a few Pike and Shotte odds and sodds from Warlord yesterday. Might have a run through some time soon with stand-in models just to give it a play through.

We'll see what happens... ;)

what are the rules like? are they well produced or homespun? do they sound like they will be worth startiing a new project for? How many figures do you need on either side?

I have never been one for historic wargaming, but I do like zombies, and there are some lovely pike and shot era minis out there.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2011, 11:42:15 PM »
OK, I've managed to have a quick gander at the rules ( I have two under-fives in the house  ;D so I still haven't managed to read them through completely). 

The rules document runs to 60-odd pages and the production quality is quite good with lots of nice colour photos featuring some very nicely painted models from The Assault Group and Mantic (also featuring some lovely terrain pieces of indeterminate manufacture).
 The game generally involves a group of survivors (five or six models) versus a horde of zombies (I reckon a box of thirty from Mantic should well cover most games but, of course, more is better) and can be expanded to scenarios of two or more survivor bands versus each other AND a horde of zombies. The rules are great for multi player play as survivors can be played by one player as a warband or divvied up amongst a group of players for a little more of a roleplay-esque game. 
 Character generation is handled by several D6 charts that randomly determine characteristics and equipment. Its a good system and very flavourful.  Weapons and armour are also generated this way but, you can still simply assign whatever is on the miniature and skip that step entirely. It might actually be best to do this for the first game or two. The system is intended for the mid 17th century but can be adapted very easily to cover earlier periods if you fancy an Elizabethan or medieval setting as all the requisite equipment is there.
 The turn is survivors go-Zeds go with models utilizing action points to perform actions. action points are rolled for each model at the start of the turn and also determine the order of activation (ie: a character with five actions will activate before a character with three). Ranged combat is handled in an interesting way, rather than some manner of ranged combat stat each weapon is instead assigned a pool of dice. The pool is divided between to-hit and damage with the player determines how many dice to roll to-hit and how many to roll to damage the target (ie: a cavalry pistol has 3d6 thus you can either roll 2d6 to hit and 1d6 to damage or, if you're standing next to the bugger, roll 1d6 to hit and 2d6 damage). I haven't gone over melee combat but it seems to work on a similar mechanic.
 There is also an event card mechanic for added suspense and drama but again, I have little idea how it works as of now.  ???
 All in all the rules are well worth your $14.  :D

I recieved my Warlord/Mantic order yesterday. I have half the box of zeds built (only took half and hour!) and all the metal survivor models cleaned off. Hopefully I'll get the rest of the zeds built tonight and perhaps base everything if I'm feeling energetic enough. Lovely models!!!  ;) 

I'll keep you posted.

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2011, 12:41:24 AM »
Thanks for that. I'm getting a bit of a tingly-exsited-new-project-sort-of-feeling....  o_o

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2011, 07:37:16 AM »
I am getting very tempted to use THIS for a Warhammer: Extinction project... (players play a survivor  (or warband) from whatever army they play...

Alternatively, the Mordheim rules might be useable with a few tweaks...

Never the less, I'll probably be getting these rules and start playing them, when I have added some more 'generic' (Mantic) and 'fantasy/medieval' zeds to my collection, but right now I'm aiming for about 100 modern zombies - hopefully before christmas (I have help to paint 30 of them, and I have about 20, but the last 50 is my task for the fall/winter - plus prepping and priming the 30 for my aide....

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2011, 12:37:03 PM »
Had another skim last night and realized I made a mistake: Initiative is not random, it is derived from your stat line.  ;D

Also, The event cards are drawn by the gamemaster at the top of each turn and played by the gm at what he/she feels is the appropriate moment (did I mention the game requires a gm? silly of me...). If not played during the turn it is drawn the card is discarded and a new one drawn for the following turn etc...

There you go.  ;)

Offline richarDISNEY

• Mad Scientist
  • Rescue Drinkin' and Gamin' Club
« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »
Are the Zeds players or the GM run?

Offline Vinlander

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2011, 03:05:58 PM »
The zeds are controlled by the gm.  ;)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2011, 07:47:43 AM »
Well... finally succumbed to the Renaissance Zombie Plague  :(

Downloaded and printed... already trying to get some Warhammer-players at my club to cooperate... (if I can get a couple of Undead-players involved, we can get games on, almost immediately...).

And I stick to the project name: Warhammer: Extinction  >:D