Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:30:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vehicles  (Read 3317 times)

Offline moif

• Scientist
    • JRC-1138
Vehicles
« on: November 12, 2011, 02:38:17 AM »
Having enough tanks and trucks, I decided to trawl e-bay, looking for model cars for my Rocketman games. The lack of any decent vehicles has always been an annoyance when I've planned games in the past. I already had one or two toy cars but these were mostly Matchbox 'Models of Yesteryear' and in my opinion not really in scale for 28mm gaming. Here are those which I have so far repainted and mounted for gaming. I'm posting these images here just in case any one else is looking for the same kind of thing.

This is a Ford Model T, from Lledo's 'Days gone by' range. It is available in a wide range of novelty vans and fuel tankers which suit 28mm scale quite well (see below), but it is more difficult to find as a car, which better suits my purposes. It has a nice 'gangster quality' and I can just see a wise guy standing on the running board with a Thompson in his hand. It cost next to nothing, less than £5 including P&P to Denmark from the UK.

Another Ford, this time a Model A, and also from Lledo's 'Days Gone By' range.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 03:00:51 AM by moif »
Expert in ancient artefacts, occult civilisations and phoney baloney technobabble!

Offline moif

• Scientist
    • JRC-1138
Re: Vehicles
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 02:42:16 AM »

These two are some kind of Rolls Royces from from Lledo's 'Days gone by' range, but I don't know which kind (the roadster is often listed simply as 'yellow Lledo car' on e-bay). As far as I am concerned, they do fine as the type of grandiose automobile a flash civilian or gangster boss might own. Like all the other Lledo cars, they were dirt cheap.

This one is a Matchbox 'Models of Yesteryear'; Bugatti, and I've seen these set for sale on e-bay for as much as £125 (presumably in mint condition). I haven't seen any one bid that much though, and I've also seen them set for as little as £0.99. As a 28mm scale model of a Bugatti, its a tad on the large side, as Bugattis were quite small, but as a generic red racing car, its perfect.

I bought this one by accident, as I thought from the dark photograph and vague description that it was a Lledo Ford Model T. It was only when I opened the box that I realised that it was a '1933 Austin taxi'. I immediately went to e-bay and searched for other variants of this model but alas taxis in a variety of colours were all I found. It was cheap too. Like all the others, it was less than £5 including P&P.

Offline moif

• Scientist
    • JRC-1138
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 02:44:41 AM »

This is an Oxford Diecast 'original' and as far as I can make out, its not meant to be any specific marque of autommobile. I have three of them, and they are cheap quality, but make for decent enough commercial vehicles in 28mm though I prefer the Lledo Model A ford van.

I have a couple of diecast traction engine models, and the others, which are slightly bigger are definately Corgi, in 1/50 scale, and this might be a Corgi too, but I'm not sure. As far as I can make out its just a generic traction engine.

Offline Rabbitz

• Mad Scientist
    • Unit57
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 08:46:41 AM »
Those are  fantastic,   I must get me some steam engines :)
Integrity is non negotiable

My little blog

www.unit57inminiature.blogspot.com.au

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 02:59:33 PM »
Great collection of cars and trucks.
I like your painting.
May I ask the reason you put them on bases?
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 10:09:14 PM »
Gorgeous work. I have a bunch of these Lledo as well, and I am totally stealing some of your painting ideas. For size comparisons, I have a whole bunch of photos of the Lledo models I purchased here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/coreyburger/5752833415/in/photostream

Offline moif

• Scientist
    • JRC-1138
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2011, 02:45:41 AM »
Marine0846
My friends and I use the base as the point of measurement in our rules. The idea being to measure how much cover a vehicle, building or other terrain feature gives. 

Burgundavia
Very helpful images, thanks. May I ask, what brand is the Citroen?

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2011, 05:05:04 AM »
The Traction Avant is a Siku car. 1:55, so nearly perfect scale. I bought two of them, and haven't repainted them because they are such beautiful models.