Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:50:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Dijit's ongoing sci-fi project  (Read 5141 times)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Dijit's ongoing sci-fi project
« on: June 28, 2012, 09:40:44 AM »
I've been in the process of building up a sci-fi prject over the past few years and have bits scattered all over the place, so I've decided to consolidate it all here instead. I've been taking whatever I fancy and painting it, whilst keeping a standard basing so I can mix and match them all together, as an aside I've also been working on some generic skirmish rules to go with them.

First up the newest minis finished:
An Infinity Haqqislam starter set. Going to be a tough group for mercenaries looking for hire:

Next up a group of random minis though mainly from Zombiesmith, mainly pirates/rogues/thieves, well you get the idea:

The local governor and crimelord, Zwygal, his right hand man 'Schiphti' and the barman 'Dick Blaine' who knows all the inside info

Lastly for now a band of bountyhunters/guns for hire:

Duncan

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: Dijit's ongoing sci-fi project
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2012, 09:58:29 AM »
 Great selection of ministures and very nice painting too.

Offline Michka

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2012, 10:02:03 AM »
Lots of great miniatures, and you've done them proud. I really like your terrain too.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 07:50:11 PM »
I've been searching for a ruleset that I liked that allowed my to take any of the minis I have and stat them up and use them in my games. Unfortunately I've not really been able to find any, so I set to writing my own - Crimson Dust. Now after almost 4 years, they're close to finished and Toren (Phoenukuz) came over the other evening to give them a shot.

Crimson Dust uses a dice pool mechanic - i.e. you roll a number of D6s according to your model's skill and equipment. Typically those dice that roll 4 or more are passed (though some things like being stunned can affect this) and the total number of passed dice is compared to your opponents dice. Crimson Dust also features a very customiable force list to accomdate the model's you wish to use and you can give them a selection of weaponry and equipment from an extensive armoury. Focusing on small skirmish games of typically between 5 and 15 models is a fast paced game, that's intuitive, nauced and has tactial and strategic depth.

I planned the forces to show a number of the dynamics of the game, but keep some of the more complex rules and pieces of equipment out. Here was the table after setup. Torben played a ragtag band of smugglers, who'd been off loading their ship for wares and then enjoying a well earned drink in the town just off the table. I played a group of bounty hunters/mecenaries out to capture their smugglers shuttle to shut down their operation at the behest of the local Lord. Meanwhile the smugglers are trying to get to it and fly off.

I had an infiltrator in my band (all coloured yellow) who's sneaked forwards to hide behind the smugglers truck. I also had a sniper on a hill covering the centrepart of the table, a gunfighter to my righthand flank and two others covering the left flank, one of which was the leader. Torben set up his forces mainly in two groups. The leader to his right with a heavy rapid repeating (HRF) laser equiped powered armoured model and couple of others. Whilst on his left a heroic model with a few lowlife scum. Two fo which were Durus archetypes which are tough and strong, but rather graceless models. All models are chosen from different archetypes rather than races, representing the evolutionary process involved in getting them to where they are now.

A gunfight starts in the centre of the table between my infiltrator and Torben's righthand group. The infiltrator quickly takes down a smuggler who dared stand in the open, but unfortunately she exposes herself a little too much and then gets shot by Bel'el the smuggler leader.

Here is the infiltrator down and bleeding, with Bel'el in the distanced between the two buildings

The smugglers left flank surges forwards. I'd only got my gunfighter here, the shuttle blocked line of sight for the sniper, whilst Torben could move almost unopposed whilst tried to bring the gunfighter round and keep him as best as possible out of harms way.

Meanwhile my leftflank stalled as the other two on that flank got wounded. The sniper kept performed incradibly well, taking down three smugglers. Forcing Torben to bring his hero into the middle.

Together the hero and leader kept the mercenaries at bay, whilst the HRF laser equipped model started trading shots with the sniper. each unable to really better the other.

Meanwhile on my right flank the gunfighter got attacked by the two Durus. Though better quality than the two Durus, that they outnumbered him and were somewhat tougher and built of melee meant that he got slowly beaten back.

Then suddenly one of the durus pulled an incredible stunt off, with his first action the killed the gunfighter with his second he moved forwards and with his bolt SMG took a shot from the hip at the sniper and killed her too!

Winning Torben and his smugglers the game. I had two models left, each so badly wounded they were now crippled and with only one action each per turn it could only go downhill.

Duncan
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 08:33:56 PM by dijit »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 09:01:59 PM »
Love the BMW Z8 hovercar!  Great choice of car. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 09:09:57 PM »
Really nice project Dijit!  :-*
Beautiful terrain and miniatures.
Enjoyable bat rep as well.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 10:25:37 PM »
I love the report and the figs look great!
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Ironworker

• Mastermind
    • http://ironworkersminiatures.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 11:42:45 PM »
Very cool!  Nice hover car.  Are those beads?  I'm with you on the skirmish game rules.  AE bounty isn't bad but not nearly as flexible as I would like.  No Limits has a set of rules called "boarding action" that I think is skirmish level.  I'm thinking of taking a look at it.  I've been using the battle rules for my home campaign and it's working out real well.  You can stat up pretty much anything including the weapons you want to use. 

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 02:45:22 AM »
Nice project mate!

Love the minis and terrain.

You know there are huge amount of sci fi free rules...

http://www.freewargamesrules.co.uk/sci-fi.html

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 03:58:56 AM »

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 05:31:08 AM »
Brilliant stuff there mate!!! Can I say again how much I love your bulk carrier( :-* :-* :-*)?
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 06:01:55 AM »
What cool figures and what a great game.  Thanks for sharing them with us.  I've been feeling the itch for a sci fi game myself of late.

Cheers

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 07:37:53 AM »
Thanks for the comments. The BMW has had it's wheels replaced with wooden beads that fit perfectly. It's actually a very simple conversion, but makes it look so much more the part.

Regarding rules, I've tied many of the better free sets - FUBAR, FAD4, No Limits, Chainreaction, and tried a few others, AE Bounty as Nathan said came out pretty well, but it just wasn't as flexible as I'd hoped. It got played quite abit when it first came out, then various inssued with weaponry balance and flexibility of the lists came out and it lost is lustre. There's also a part of me wondering whether to dust off Rogue Trader and just use that with a more expanded weapon list.
After having played a few games now with Crimson Dust I'm not convinced by the dice pool mechanic, it works on paper, but on the table top it often seems awkward. So, if nothing else the project has given me alot more respect for games developers! Torben and I talked afterwards about how a D10 system would work and we've thrown a few ideas around, so let's see what comes of that.
Duncan

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 07:42:39 AM »
Wow that table is looking better and better the more sci-fi you add to it.

You'll never find the perfect rules - spend your time on making perfect scenarios instead.  ;D
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 08:10:06 AM »
The table has a very distinct Mos Eisley feel.

Very nice.