Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:38:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686549
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My Robotech/Macross Project : Battle Cry (Fighting Fives) - Battle Report Page 6  (Read 53194 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: My Robotech/Macross Project : Battle Cry (Fighting Fives)
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2012, 10:09:51 PM »
Well, I'm heading off to the Triangle Simulation Society's bi-annual convention in a few days.  I've got the models, dice, and other gear down...sadly I had to chop up a bunch of foam-board to make some super expedient buildings for terrain.  I've listed my game as a playtest for 4-6 players, so we'll see if anyone signs up.  If not, I have a handful of buddies attending who will probably give it a game or two.

The first three of nine normal Regult pods are done.  Why three you may ask?  (You'll notice I have a lot of sets of three).  Easy: that's how many mecha cards fit on a single sheet of paper.  It's also an easy number of units to control.  It's easy enough for a single player to control 9-12 units without worry, but at the convention it'll be easier to simple hand each player a sheet (maybe two).  This will eventually bring my battle pod count up to 15 (+2 if you count the officers), which is more than enough for the scale of the game.

The full group (actually I've finished up two more Veritechs in Fighter mode since taking this picture).

Replacing the Gashapon veritechs with Nichimo kits - which are not as snazzy looking, but scale much better.  I received my last two normal Veritechs in battloid mode today (have all the models needed to finish up two units of three Veritechs --- in all configurations, so 18 models for 6 units!).  I also received the start of my two Super Veritechs (I have the guardian mode, battloid on the way, and I'm custom building fighter mode models from Gashapon).

Will hopefully have some shots of the game in progress by the end of next weekend.

Here is a picture of one of the mecha cards - unfortunately I mussed up, as Office Max who was doing the printing and laminating obviously didn't have all of the cool Robotech fonts I was using, so...you can see some weird discrepancies on the sheets...well it's a playtest so they'll work.  Eventually I'll hammer it all out, print the stuff myself and have it laminated.

Crappy picture of the new VF-1A's from Skull Squadron

Two pictures showing the two different squadrons.  The Skull squadron will be finished by a VF-1S in the same livery, while the beige squadron will receive a notRick Hunter VF-1J.  I will be providing special rules for the main characters from the cartoon, if people want to re-enact moments from the show.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2012, 04:49:04 PM »
Looks good.
Is it me or do those VF-1S (I think it's them at least) look scarily like the classic Jetfire of my childhood:

Was on or the other based on the other?
Duncan

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2012, 07:45:22 PM »
Yep, while the cartoon versions of the transformers were not really based on Veritechs/Valkyries --- when toys came out, almost all of the Transformer jet models were simply repackaged Valkyrie/Veritech toys.

It of course helps that Veritechs transform just like transformers. 

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2012, 08:10:10 PM »
Now I'm in the know.
I really love these slightly unusual projects, and yours in a prime example. Thanks for sharing.
Duncan

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2012, 06:43:24 AM »
Weak update (because I'm...an idiot and didn't take pictures)

Ran two games at the convention yesterday and today.  Overall results were outstanding.  Lots of interest, and the players loved it....so much so that a couple played in both games.  Picked up a bunch of things I need to address (luckily no game-breaking stuff, just details).  Will adjust some of the mecha to better work within the game (saw a general issue with most mecha having a bit too many hitpoints, etc.).

Overall, extremely pleased, surprised almost.  Looking forward to actually hosting a legitimate game in January or April-ish (or both). 

Offline necrocannibal

• Mad Scientist
  • Cthulhu for President!!!
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2012, 08:22:24 AM »
Great job...I love Macross!

Looks good.
Is it me or do those VF-1S (I think it's them at least) look scarily like the classic Jetfire of my childhood:
Was on or the other based on the other?
Duncan

Actually, Jetfire was made from Macross molds.

Wiki
Jetfire is created from the same mold as the VF-1S Super Valkyrie from the Macross series (see Toys), including the VF-1S's gunpod, which is described as a laser on Jetfire's technical specifications.
The instruction manual for the toy even included the Gerwalk mode designed for the Macross version of the toy.
The Cult of the Black Goat Cultist No. 11

ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Offline Chuckaroobob

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2012, 03:39:26 PM »
Hi, I didn't play in your games but watched with interest. It looked like everyone had fun and the games ran smoothly.  Good job!  And yes, I've started searching ebay for 1/200 Robotech stuff.  Oh dear, another project.....
 I took a few pictures and posted them on the blogspot "My Little World of Dementia" if anyone would like to see them.  Look in the Southern Front After Action Report.

They call me "Point Cow"

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2012, 07:00:43 PM »
Ahhh, you were the guy on the phone with Scott then?  Small world!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2012, 09:04:57 PM »
REALLY interesting !

If I understand correctly, you're using 1/250 gashapon models ?

Your repaints are really cool. You painting technic fits well both scale and miniature type. Well done. You just reminded me good old days Robotech. I want them now.  :-* ;D

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2012, 11:36:52 PM »
Well, yes and no...of all the completed figures they consist of:

1/200 Nichimo Kits
1/200-ish Gashapon kits from Bandia, and Kaiyoto
3D Printed models
1/200 Nichimo Kits kitbashed with Gashapon pieces
1/200 Bandai model kit
1/720 Imai kit (which is actually closer to 1/350-ish and will be suitable)

So...a lot of ebay-ing, a lot of kitbashing, etc.  I'm actually kitbashing some Super Veritechs in fighter modes etc.

As you can see, no single answer.  lol

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2012, 04:42:12 AM »
Okay...need some help...anyone have any ideas on a model I could kitbash to make this kind of booster pod?

I'm wanting to build one of my remaining officer's pods with this booster...I could possibly try to make a custom one, but if anyone has any idea of a kit that may help me?

Offline Kamandi

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2012, 07:25:41 PM »
You sir have realized an ambition of my going back over 20 years! Good for you.

I have never been able to source more than a few of the Regults and what is a Macross game without a horde of Regult pods? It's a shame the first gashapon regult (bandai?) was not available in bulk - it was a really nice articulated model. 

Thanks for the lead on the models at Shapeways. The Gnerl and Nos-Jaedul Ger are the only 2 models not otherwise available in the 1/200. The only thing left I might want is 1/200 Zentraedi infantry soldier.

"Something had happened in the dim past...! A natural disaster coupled with Radiation! The people in the bunkers lived out their lives and died dreaming of a day of return---The radiation would be gone---and the world would be left waiting---"

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2012, 11:44:56 PM »
^This is definitely the last thing I really need - the Phalanx is also not available, but not really a huge priority...and 1/144 models exist to cover that gap (while not perfect, useful).

I've contacted a guy I know who sculpts to see if he'd be interested in making a single sculpt for me (which I'd buy 5-10 of).  We'll see.  I'm revamping my blog which I'll link to here shortly.  Going to retake photos and such. I've added a bunch of elements to my rules set.

Optional rules now include:

1) Characters from the animated series (stats and special rules)
2) Random pilot tables for each mecha
3) Survival rolls for each mecha
4) Very simple advancement tables for pilots (if people wish to do some mini-campaigns etc.)

Revamped all of the mecha cards (adjust stuff up and down according to last playtests).  The rules PDF is now about 38 pages (15 of which are mecha cards).  Pretty happy with the current version. 

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
  • Crescat Scientia, Vita Excolatur
    • Società di archeologia e cimeli
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2012, 09:58:55 AM »
What a great thread this is as a mecha head myself  :-*

Gashapon's are a belssing for the budding anime gamer, I enter some repainted Gundams (or past edition, Valkyries) in the Lead Painter's League every year, just because I love repainting them and well, mechas are bloody damn cool

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2012, 08:46:14 PM »
Yep, Gashapon are great, but again, unfortunately Regult pods are almost impossible to find!  It's nice to know if I needed to game without Nichimo models, I could get a good majority of the Veritechs I needed without model kits.

I'm going to go put some work into my blog and post it here.  Been revamping it!