Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:08:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689656
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Founding of Dos Cruces (wip church)  (Read 10380 times)

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
Re: Founding of Dos Cruces
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2013, 09:36:45 PM »
Arnica is the other company that makes a resin version of an adobe church. I forgot who acquired that line. Some one acquired the JR Miniatures line as well but I'm not sure who did that and I don't remember seeing any annoucements.
It's NOT denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept. -- Calvin (Calvin and Hobbes)

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2013, 10:43:43 AM »
Many thanks for the inspiring words and insight good Sirs, much appreciated.

Many good points have been raised regarding the shape, size and looks of the abode church and I have kept those in mind. There are some Spanish mission churches in cross shape with quite nice facades but it is quite true that they are quite big, especially regarding Dos Cruces and its size. Thus I will be rather going for something like in the pic in the link below than something that used to be too grand and posh.

edit: will post pic later, huge link otherwise.

edit:  if you google Calera mission chapel, you get the idea what I have in mind. Won't post pics, as I have no rights to those pics.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 01:43:33 PM by pocoloco »

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 02:51:06 PM »
Sorry for double posting, here's the granary painted on a piece of mdf board that will be its base:

And couple of close-ups, first from the front:

And from the back... yes, it has a backdoor, but openeble only from inside... unless one has a proper skeletonkey in form of shotgun thus Paco has to stay outside for timebeing :D

Now to tackle the adobe church issue...

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
Re: Founding of Dos Cruces (granary finished, sorta)
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2013, 03:09:54 PM »
I really like how the grainary came out, great work! I like the pictures of Calera mission chapel I think that's a good choice to use as an example.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2013, 03:16:13 PM »
That has certainly come out well.
 :-*

Dont forget to pay just as much attention to the base as you did to the building itself... ;)

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2013, 03:20:13 PM »
Thanks Heisler. Although the Calera mission is quite newish, it has still quite proper Old West feeling to it. I think I will add an small sacristy to Dos Cruces church/chapel and prolly give the whole building a flat roof as it seemed to be quite common in older Spanish mission type of churches... and good people of Dos Cruces have been lazy to replace it with a ridge roof.

Thanks Mason. Building will be based... I need to ponder proper look for the ground. Arid and dusty? Arid yet with few patches of bushes or tufts of hay thereabouts? I also will add some flock on the roof of the granary, owner has not been cleaning the roof and moss gathers, even in Dos Cruces :)

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2013, 05:08:26 PM »
And here are two wip pics of the Iglesia de San Lorenzo de Dos Cruces, the hombre posing by the entrances is a Pinkerton detective, just to show some scale. The plastering needs to be sanded on some parts and on the other side of the church (not show) I left deliberately few spots without plastering so that I try to make the abode work showing... we'll see how it goes. Roof will be a flat one, need to finish plastering from the inside as well.

Still pondering if I should make a smallish adjoined sacristy or not... I could make it out of wood, just to give more colour to this terrain piece. Also will make a small cemetary (Camposanto Viejo) with two crosses next to the church.

Hope to finish the plastering and make the wooden doors and door & window frames tomorrow evening after slaving in the office. After that, no other "decorations" except finding a bell and maybe a cross on the backwall.

Anyways, here are the pics for your viewing "pleasure".

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Founding of Dos Cruces (wip church)
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2013, 05:40:49 PM »
That is absolutely spot on to what I used to see in the desert.  Very appropriate.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2013, 06:12:40 PM »
Sounds good. And a good thing is, I don't need to paint the wall surface that much, it looks quite good the way it is already. Had an idea to put floor planking inside instead of having just plain earth ground, how does that sound?

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2013, 06:49:23 PM »
Definitely looking good! I think floor planking is pretty much mandatory for most structures. Places that would still have dirt floors, would be homes and such. Commercial structures in particular want wood floors to protect merchandise and a beautiful wood floor would be mandatory for a church, there is to much pride amongst the population to not have a wood floor.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2013, 06:56:54 PM »
Good point on the local peoples pride, even if the parish would be quite poor there would prolly be some sort of planked floor. Now the big question is would it be wide planks (like the upper part of the granary) or slimmer planks (rest of the granary). If I use big wide planks and carve the sides a little here and there, it might do the trick.

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2013, 08:23:45 PM »
I don't think it matters to much. It should just be neat, they are going to do their best work here.

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2013, 06:37:00 AM »
Maybe the good (and the bad and the ugly) people of Dos Cruces don't have any good carpenters amongst them as the current status of the church floor planking shows ;) Managed to finish the floor to what is seen in the pic below, also one window frame is done. After all frames are done, need to work bit more on the plaster work and then finish the roof. After that some detail work and then it will be finished and gets to wait its turn with the basing work.

Offline Heisler

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2013, 02:09:25 PM »
I think that looks pretty darn good! Perhaps some base boards would help neaten up the appearance. You could get really adventurous and add some nail holes as well.  :D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2013, 02:29:13 PM »
Some very swift progress, Pocoloco.
Very impressive!
 :-*

A couple of quick and dirty pews and an altar should finish that interior off nicely.
 ;)