Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:50:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [solved]Going old school...And cheap ! Help welcome ;)  (Read 2292 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
[solved]Going old school...And cheap ! Help welcome ;)
« on: April 10, 2013, 04:53:13 PM »
Hi,

According to this topic :

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=52394.0

I'm going to create player characters heroes parties based on old school only minis for the new game I bought (Warrior Heroes Legends, immersive/"light rpg" campaign oriented game). I've got a few ral partha minis, metal magic, and I ordered a few more. The scale of these minis is smaller than some other heroic 28mm ranges.

So I'm still searching for cheap fantasy alternatives, with right size. What kind of brands (matching the "true 28mm" scale) should I mix with them ?

I'm currently thinking about Denizen minis : is it a good alternative, or are they too small ?

Any other ideas ?

I'm also searching for cheap town folks : barman, civilians, farm animals, etc... I first thought ordering on Megaminis, but it seems (I emailed them to ask EDIT: confirmed by email, only paypal) that I need a paypal account to order (wich I don't want to). So I need alternatives...

thanks !
« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 10:24:41 AM by sundayhero »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Going old school...And cheap ! Help welcome ;)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2013, 06:54:03 PM »
I found my happiness on mirliton.it, and grenadier figures. For record, they have plenty of civilians, farm animals, and superb grenadier fantasy figures. Most of them for cheap prices.

Online majorsmith

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2013, 08:03:15 PM »
yes mirliton make some lovely stuff!

Offline aiteal

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 08:09:06 PM »
What do you think of Warrior Heroes so far?
I picked up a pdf of it myself a few weeks back for my next project, a blend of Warrior heroes and old school Realm of Chaos warbands. That way I can play a solo narrative campaign with all my old 1980's minis in a world setting I have always loved.

I'm still working on the rules mashup, but I love the NPC reaction and 'possible enemy force' system. Especially as it allows me to 'pre-roll'  enemy encounters in my scenarios and the narrative campaign allows me see if my character reaches deamonhood or ends up as a chaos spawn.
And most importantly allows me to play solo.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2013, 09:51:00 PM »
I share the same thoughts about the game. I'm very enthusiastic about all aspects, even if I still didn't play it for real for now since I want to have a nice material to play it, with full painted monsters, 3D terrain, etc... (you can follow a few topics on LAF about my current projects).

Even if I bought it to play solo classic fantasy campaigns, I'm also interested into cooperative gaming, to play the game as a "light rpg" game with casual player.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 10:05:54 PM by sundayhero »

Offline aiteal

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »
haha, yeah
I feel the same way bout having the figures and terrain done nicely before starting, to date, I have just been 'playing' to learn/test the rules (or at least my own version of them mixed with RoC)
My impression so far, is that the reaction system creates a nice 'claustrophobic' game, one where plenty of good scenery that blocks LOS etc is important.

I do like the system, hopefully, i'll post up some AARs once I get started properly.
I look forward to reading yours too.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 10:06:46 PM »
I've been very happy with Iron Wind Metals as they have some of the old Ral Partha line still in production. 
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 10:08:20 PM »
Yes, the game seems to be interesting in both exterior and dungeon environnement. I first bought it for dungeoning, and after reading, I took back my old heroscape boxes to make a complete exterior 3D terrain set  lol and now these days I'm spending the money I don't have on vintage adventurers minis and scenery material   ;D

edit : considering ironwind, I ordered some figs to ral partha europe directly today... ANd I'll probably order more tommorow  :D

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 10:09:47 PM »
Sunday, you ought to get yourself a paypal account. There's no reason why you shouldn't. It's free of charge and much safer than any credit card payment service.

If nothing else, it's worth getting one just to buy from Mega Minis before they are closing down. I just got a GREAT big honking delivery from them. I paid $7 shipping for a parcel that cost Johnny $48.20 to ship, international airmail to Sweden. You will never, ever find these miniatures so cheaply and well cast again. Especially not with the extremely kind shipping offer and the great service you get from Johnny.

Seriously, get in on it before it's too late!
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 10:58:22 PM »
I know I will miss a great deal, but that's my choice  8)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 11:28:36 PM »
I know I will miss a great deal, but that's my choice  8)

Yes, despite our rhetoric, this stuff is optional to life.

While I am pleased with how Paypal has dealt with disputes (more than Amazon) I know people have political, ethical, personal, etc., reasons for not choosing what "everybody else" is doing.

I do find the hothouse linkage between Ebay and Paypal a bit too "corporate" but I still use both.

Lots of other Old School goodness available for use!

Gracias,

Glenn

Edit:  I too, for other reasons, have chosen to pass on the Megaminiatures deals.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 11:31:25 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 11:34:47 PM »

Indeed, the old Metal Magic figures are still amongst the finest 25/28mm fantasy figures out there, Josef and Michael's work has seldom been bettered. You can pretty much guarantee that they will be picked up by another manufacturer when Johnny sells the rights, but I seriously doubt they will be available at the current prices ever again.

Sadly I think the order I put in this afternoon may be my last before the range goes into hiatus.

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Re: [solved]Going old school...And cheap ! Help welcome ;)
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2013, 12:40:28 PM »
A silly choice but it's your loss. Best of luck!