Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:51:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Sourcing a particular British officer figure  (Read 2518 times)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Sourcing a particular British officer figure
« on: November 15, 2013, 03:40:37 AM »
I tried this on the WWII board, but that was a bad idea, I think, since this is for an interwar/pulp figure anyway. Hopefully I'll avoid annoying everyone TOO much.  ;)

Anyway, I'm looking for a figure in a British officer's outfit suitable for the interwar period (or something that would at least pass for that), only with two key aspects:

1) He needs to be a big fellow, or big for 28mm. Not a giant and I don't have an exact size requirement, but I can't use a 25mm shorty. Who makes larger-scale British officers (30mm "heroic", 32mm etc.)?

2) I would much prefer he have trousers and shoes rather than the usual jodhpurs & boots. This may be a taller order, so I'm willing to concede the point if there are no alternatives.  

Bonus if the head is easily removed, as I will be doing a headswap.

A further bonus would be if the figure is in an active pose rather than a static one, but I suppose I'll take what I can get.

The only thing I really can't compromise on is the size. It's even possible that a non-British officer might do, but I'm not familiar with what uniforms might've been a near match in design (discounting colour) or if such figures are available.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:43:33 AM by FramFramson »

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
Re: Sourcing a particular British officer figure
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2013, 04:08:05 AM »
What about a Renegade WW1 Brit? Renegade are much larger than most, so could work. A bit ... early, maybe; perhaps an eccentric fellow?
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2013, 05:04:37 AM »
That looked like it might have potential for a moment, but Renegade's entire Command group are in full kit, including gas masks and heavy gear. The only fellow who isn't so heavily-laden is still carrying his gas kit like a purse!  lol  :?

EDIT: Wait, the Early War command group might still work. Didn't see they had both early/late at first. I thought they'd look too out of date, but I think they might serve if I can't find anything better. Still hoping to find one with pants, but we'll see. Might even be able to convert the pistol-wielding fellow.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 05:57:41 AM by FramFramson »

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2013, 08:55:03 AM »

EDIT: Wait, the Early War command group might still work. Didn't see they had both early/late at first. I thought they'd look too out of date, but I think they might serve if I can't find anything better. Still hoping to find one with pants, but we'll see. Might even be able to convert the pistol-wielding fellow.

My understanding (I could well be utterly wrong...) is that the British military kept using 1908- or 1914-pattern webbing gear pretty much right through to the late 1930s when the 1937-pattern stuff was issued, so early WW1 figures should pretty much work for much of the post-Great War/Interwar period. Officers also had a reasonable amount of latitude when it came to their field kit, so that could provide an excuse for why your man is equipped the way he is!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 11:05:54 AM »
How about: http://www.matakishi.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1924238   lol

Or more seriously the WW1 Officers from Musketeers WW1 range? http://www.musketeer-miniatures.com/store.php?r=20&rule=Historical&id=50

As Wirelizard says though, the WW1 style uniform went right through to 1939 with field officers and somewhat later with staff officers. The Belgian officer's uniform was very similar too.

Closest match I can come up with is this: http://www.warmacre.com/shop/brigidier-berkeley-and-rachael-knight/
I have no idea of the size of the figure and I can't say I find it particularly fetching either.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 04:07:56 PM »
I'd have said Copplestone's One-Armed Sutton albeit he is in shorts/socks [green stuff in the trousers?]
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 06:43:26 PM »
Aren't Copplestone figs sort of middle-of-the-road for scale? Closer to true 28mm in overall height?

EDIT: Oh, it seems they're a little on the larger end of the scale. Hmmmm...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:14:21 PM by FramFramson »

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2013, 01:10:48 AM »
Okay, I would be most grateful if anyone has any of these figures or figure packs, could they take a real measurement and let me know how high they are to the eyes (ignoring any height added by integral bases)?

The fellow with the pistol and the fellow with the cane here: http://www.renegademiniatures.com/ww1/ww1b04.htm

The fellow on the left with the pistol here: http://www.artizandesigns.com/images/img1415.jpg

The two fellows on the left here (one with pistol, one with book): http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/images/bc18.jpg

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 11:16:45 AM »

The two fellows on the left here (one with pistol, one with book): http://www.copplestonecastings.co.uk/images/bc18.jpg

Hi. I have these. Best i can tell (they're painted/based) from the bottom of their boots to eye-level is 30mm.
KR
James

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 04:48:43 PM »
Thanks!