Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:01:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690963
  • Total Topics: 118359
  • Online Today: 705
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Rules  (Read 48549 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - Rules
« Reply #75 on: February 24, 2014, 06:13:12 PM »
Prof. a quick question: would the LAM Landsknechte fit for the first bonus round "The Realms of Fantasy"

Not really. They are actually quite historically correct. Maybe sometimes a bit caricatural but not really a "Realm of Fantasy"

Offline Za Zjurman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #76 on: February 24, 2014, 08:07:29 PM »
fair enough, there is more other stuff in the lead pile  lol

Cheers,
Za

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #77 on: March 06, 2014, 12:10:20 AM »
I wonder, Professor (or Overlord or Captain Bloo if this is in your jurisdiction), if you can offer some clarification on this question.

4. Teams

A "team" consists of 5 or more fully-painted miniatures.

A "new team" is a set of painted figures photos of which have NOT previously been published ANYWHERE on the Internet (this only applies to the painted state, of course)...

By '... the painted state' do you mean '... the fully painted state', or do you mean '... any partly painted state', or do you mean something in-between? The implication to me is that 'the painted state' would mean 'the finished state in which you submitted them to the competition' but I've fallen foul of this before. I often post WIP shots on my blog and apparently this has been enough in the past to disqualify a team from counting as 'new'. Is a team that has been shown before in partly-painted state 'painted'? Is a team that has been undercoated 'painted'?

Honestly, I'm not trying to pull a fast one. I'm just looking for clarification on what the rules are intended to mean, because in the past what I have assumed they mean has turned out to be wide of the mark.

Thanks in advance.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #78 on: March 06, 2014, 06:38:52 AM »
I wonder, Professor (or Overlord or Captain Bloo if this is in your jurisdiction), if you can offer some clarification on this question.

By '... the painted state' do you mean '... the fully painted state', or do you mean '... any partly painted state', or do you mean something in-between? The implication to me is that 'the painted state' would mean 'the finished state in which you submitted them to the competition' but I've fallen foul of this before. I often post WIP shots on my blog and apparently this has been enough in the past to disqualify a team from counting as 'new'. Is a team that has been shown before in partly-painted state 'painted'? Is a team that has been undercoated 'painted'?

Honestly, I'm not trying to pull a fast one. I'm just looking for clarification on what the rules are intended to mean, because in the past what I have assumed they mean has turned out to be wide of the mark.

Thanks in advance.

WIP photos on your blog are fine as long as we're talking about real WIP photos (painted state of let's say about 0-50%). Posting of full- or almost-painted figures with only unfinished bases and some unpainted straps or similar would logically count as "previously published". As usual, if unsure, common sense and your friendly LPL moderator will help for sure.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #79 on: March 06, 2014, 10:53:49 AM »
WIP photos on your blog are fine as long as we're talking about real WIP photos (painted state of let's say about 0-50%). Posting of full- or almost-painted figures with only unfinished bases and some unpainted straps or similar would logically count as "previously published". As usual, if unsure, common sense and your friendly LPL moderator will help for sure.

OK, so if I had put something up saying 'here are the guys in their undercoat' that would be OK, but if I put up something where there really was only a small amount to do, that wouldn't be. That's pretty clear. I'll take the principle of percentage coverage in the final version* as being my guide and for anything I'm not sure of, I'll ask for specific guidance.

*obviously, undercoat is supposed to cover 100% of the mini. But if I understand you correctly, if I then paint over it, the photo of the undercoated minis wouldn't really count as being 'painted'.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2014, 11:08:59 AM »
*obviously, undercoat is supposed to cover 100% of the mini. But if I understand you correctly, if I then paint over it, the photo of the undercoated minis wouldn't really count as being 'painted'.

Yes, correct, an undercoated mini wouldn't count as being painted.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #81 on: March 07, 2014, 03:30:38 AM »
Good idea, Red Orc! I've been wondering how to put at least some photos on my blog without it going totally "dark" until that entry's round is over. I might snap a quickie WIP shot in the very early stages to show folks what I'm working on.

The idea comes too late, of course, for the 3 teams that are essentially done. But the next team sitting on my desk has all of one color on it, so I'm sure that wouldn't break the rules.

Mike Demana

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2014, 07:44:46 PM »
Would a group of different (or even typically opposed armatura) gladiators count as a team, in the sense of coming from the same ludus or gladiatorial familia? I think I can scratch together some spectator types but I'd rather do the gladiators since I have a more immediate use for them :)

I won't be buying any figures for this LPL other than a vehicle I've been wanting anyway for round 10, and the ancients is the only one I'm kind of limited on.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #83 on: March 07, 2014, 08:05:17 PM »
Would a group of different (or even typically opposed armatura) gladiators count as a team, in the sense of coming from the same ludus or gladiatorial familia? I think I can scratch together some spectator types but I'd rather do the gladiators since I have a more immediate use for them :)

I won't be buying any figures for this LPL other than a vehicle I've been wanting anyway for round 10, and the ancients is the only one I'm kind of limited on.

Sure, they would count as team. We've got a lot of gladiators teams in the past.

Offline area23

• Mastermind
    • area23
« Reply #84 on: March 08, 2014, 12:15:20 PM »
Good. I've got some miniatures I showed 7 or 8 years ago on Displaced (those were the days!): blurry pictures of basecoated figures that I'm finally really painting and basing now. That's okay no?
If you don't believe in lead, you're already dead.
+++AREA23 BLOG+++

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #85 on: March 09, 2014, 06:33:02 AM »
That's okay.

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2014, 05:39:54 AM »
This might sound like a dumb question but is it ok to show my entry on my blog once voting for that entry has closed and the next round begins?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2014, 07:54:18 AM »
This might sound like a dumb question but is it ok to show my entry on my blog once voting for that entry has closed and the next round begins?

Yes, it is okay.

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2014, 05:27:00 AM »
•In rounds 4 through 10, any new (i.e. unpublished, cf. 3 above) team will receive 10 points the first time it participates. Older, already published teams may also be submitted to participate, but will not receive this bonus.

So does this mean I can enter "un-new" teams that have previously been shown on the net ie blogs/forums it just means I will miss out on the 10 bonus points? Or is this not allowed?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2014, 07:48:29 AM »
Yes, you can enter older, previously shown teams, but no, you won't get the 10 bonus points for a team which isn't newly painted (or at least previously unshown). The reason being, that the LPL is all about encouraging new painting rather than showing old stuff - hence the bonus points for 'new' teams.
But yes, if you need to enter 'old' work, that's within the rules - just no bonus.