Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 28, 2024, 07:11:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - General Discussion  (Read 77629 times)

Offline zorg

• Librarian
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - General Discussion
« Reply #195 on: March 23, 2014, 07:08:45 PM »
This is one of my favorite hobby-related events and yet another reason I enjoy this site. Simply excellent.

Agreed - each year, I do the voting together with my wife :)
understanding is a three-edged sword

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #196 on: March 23, 2014, 09:59:36 PM »
Voting done for round 1. I wish I were a faster painter, so I could find time to paint for this in between my other doings...
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Vonkluge

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
  • Dogs of War and Bengal Club member / Kaiser Bill!
    • Historical Hobbies
My (almost) entry to the LPL8
« Reply #197 on: March 23, 2014, 10:43:29 PM »
"Arrrghhhhh" aw Ma, I coulda been a contender!" :'(

I missed by hours of getting in as I in a drunken stupor from work miss judged the time difference and flubbed it! Prof was kind enough to offer a chance but silly me was sleeping on this side of the world......I'll just enjoy the pressing of the buttons and post my "almost entries" in other categories. lol

Link to my first "almost" entry, enjoy.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=64834.0

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
« Reply #198 on: March 24, 2014, 01:26:54 AM »
Glad it's that time of year again. I did so enjoy voting on today's entries.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #199 on: March 24, 2014, 02:08:39 AM »
Didn't get mine in either. Have 6 teams painted & one more almost done. I just have a problem taking, editing & posting pictures. Well maybe next year.  ::)
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +117

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #200 on: March 24, 2014, 07:56:09 AM »
Didn't get mine in either. Have 6 teams painted & one more almost done. I just have a problem taking, editing & posting pictures. Well maybe next year.  ::)

My guess is that several of us at this point *only* know one thing for certain and that is that we have three entries completed.

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #201 on: March 24, 2014, 09:26:32 AM »
Best of luck to all
I'm already admiring the entries
I'm glad I didn't try and enter last minute as we appear to have sold our house this w/e and have to move in 3 weeks!
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill

Offline Mahwell skel

• Librarian
« Reply #202 on: March 24, 2014, 02:04:46 PM »
It's always a big highlight of the year. It comes round so fast  ??? Very high standard stuff. Maybe if I start now I might enter next year?

I notice the number of votes cast seems up on last year? Its a good sign for the health of the forum.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 02:08:01 PM by Mahwell skel »

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #203 on: March 24, 2014, 02:35:10 PM »
My guess is that several of us at this point *only* know one thing for certain and that is that we have three entries completed.

I'm not even sure what I'm entering for round 4 and after  o_o

I'm limited in choices on Round 10, so I'm sure what I'll be painting for that one.
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #204 on: March 24, 2014, 02:38:23 PM »
It's always a big highlight of the year. It comes round so fast  ??? Very high standard stuff. Maybe if I start now I might enter next year?

I notice the number of votes cast seems up on last year? Its a good sign for the health of the forum.

As a member for almost 2 years, I am embarrassed to say, I was not very aware of the LPL until the last few months.  I had some vague notion about it, but was so lost on the various boards and people's epic stuff, it just didnt get enough of my attention. I plan to enter next year since my dissertation will be done....finally.
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #205 on: March 24, 2014, 07:22:50 PM »
PS I was hard pressed to take a good photo with the constraints of 800 x 800 pixels and a 500k file size limit.... I'm a fair photographer... was I missing something? Just fitting 5 minis in and keeping a level of detail seemed impossible. My pictures were in my opinion very small and lacking in detail. ???
The limit is probably due to bandwith issues. I think it is to be expected that with smaller size, you lose some detail. Depending on your painting style the end result can still look great or be 'meh'. The Kevin Dallimore painting style looks great on small size pictures, but on large detail shots it loses some of its sizzle.

Resized to about the LPL requirements (when you have to fit 5 miniatures in one picture) my style gives the following result:

Detail shot of the same miniature (a bit over-exposed, just a point and shoot picture for a battle report)

Not the greatest brushwork in the world, but still more detail than you'd think from the previous shot (e.g. the nails and ring). I think that high contrast painting styles might look slightly better on the smallish pictures (that are required) than more subdued painting styles.

Still, when I lose a round, I mostly have to agree with the voters  :)

I have mediocre painting skills, subpar photography skills and the tendency to rush things a bit more than that's good for them. I spend 10-15 minutes at most on a picture (including cropping/resizing), and it shows.

I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #206 on: March 24, 2014, 07:51:21 PM »
I think that high contrast painting styles might look slightly better on the smallish pictures (that are required) than more subdued painting styles.

I agree with you here, that's absolutely true. I've gone to higher and higher contrast over the years because of this... and also because of my failing eyesight I think ;)

I saw the detail you put in, and I really, really like your shuggoth/gibbering mouther. Excellent work there and I love the colours. A great entry and I look forward to more!

Thanks
n.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #207 on: March 24, 2014, 08:02:16 PM »
It's always a big highlight of the year. It comes round so fast  ??? Very high standard stuff. Maybe if I start now I might enter next year?

I can't actually paint, but every year it inspires me to think about it, and I might actually have a crack over the next year or two to paint fifty minis. I know that sounds crazy daft but believe me for me it's a big deal the last mini I ever painted was my Avatar the RP Cloud Giant back in the 1990s.

The only thing that puts me off is the fact it might actually mak me cry in shame whn I see the results, but LPL does light a fire in me...

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #208 on: March 24, 2014, 08:04:02 PM »
Glad it's that time of year again.

As I said on one of the threads LP is like a painting Christmas for me, and with The Great Escape on the gogglebox last night it really was like a good old British Christmas!

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #209 on: March 24, 2014, 08:16:30 PM »
I have mediocre painting skills, subpar photography skills and the tendency to rush things a bit more than that's good for them. I spend 10-15 minutes at most on a picture (including cropping/resizing), and it shows.

That's better than 'mediocre' IMO.

We may need to get you some photo training :)