Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:04:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690603
  • Total Topics: 118339
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A package arrived yesterday and I am confused about why...  (Read 8319 times)

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
A package arrived yesterday and I am confused about why...
« on: March 17, 2014, 01:27:30 AM »
I received a package from a Harrogate address (keeping that address offline for the sake of someone's privacy) in the UK correctly addressed to me but...    ???

I don't recognize the item, I don't remember ordering anything like it, and a google search on the address doesn't give me anything distinctive to clue me in.  I have racked my brain for 24 hours (+/-) trying to determine why it came to me.   o_o

I am concerned because:

1) Do I have something meant for someone else?  Are they wondering, "Why don't I have it?" Are they thinking bad thoughts about a seller who may simply have made an honest blunder?

2) Alzheimer's run on the paternal side of the family and dementia on the maternal side (and now I am just a bit [more than normal] paranoid.)

3) I do have those normal "senior moments" many of us of a certain age can suffer on some days - my wife seems to think it is selective but I assure her it is not, especially not intentionally...  if I ordered it it, what project was it meant for??

Awesome as the item is I don't want to keep it if it belongs to someone else, because while it may be legal by USPS regulations ('unsolicited gift') as a friend pointed out it would certainly be unethical and immoral to not try and clarify why I have this item and, IMO,  that regulation was almost certainly not meant to address this situation.  And if I should know why I have this it will reassure me to know I 'just forgot' it was coming.

If you are the sender would you please PM me or e-mail me at ZorroGames@att.net?  I would be embarrassed if I ordered this and forgot but it beats worrying if this belongs to someone else who paid for it...

Gracias,

Glenn

Who sometimes resembles the absent-minded professor more than I like to admit.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A package arrived yesterday and I am confused about why...
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 03:53:22 AM »
Did you get involved with one of the swapping programs some of the site have you get something and then you send someone something?
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline carlos13th

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 04:56:31 AM »
Do you mind sharing what the item was?

It's not a very late secret Santa or something is it?

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 10:36:07 AM »
Did you get involved with one of the swapping programs some of the site have you get something and then you send someone something?

Not sure I understand swapping programs but, no, I am trying to get rid of miniatures outside my core interests.  That would almost certainly increase my "awesome figures I am never going to use" list.   :)

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 10:39:38 AM »
Do you mind sharing what the item was?

It's not a very late secret Santa or something is it?

I would rather not share - other than it i SF oriented - at this time just incase it was supposed to be for someone's birthday or some other surprise.  I would do that if necessary.

LOL, don't do Secret Santa (or as at my Wife's Jewish employers firm - Secret Snowflake.)

But that would be a fun gift for another war gamer.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 10:43:49 AM »
Cant u just check your pms for details of someone you've traded with?

No return label? UPS tracking number that can be followed up?
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 12:52:16 PM »
I received a package from a Harrogate address (keeping that address offline for the sake of someone's privacy) in the UK correctly addressed to me but...    ???

If you've got the address why not just write to them?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 02:14:54 PM »
I'm going with the Alzheimers.

>:D

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 02:20:11 PM »
Cant u just check your pms for details of someone you've traded with?

Checked PMs earlier and nothing there.

There is an address (no company or personal name which means it would need to be addressed to "Resident" at that address in the UK [I am in USA.])

Someone (or some company, in theory,) paid good money to send this to me.  I just wish I knew who/why...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 02:20:49 PM »
I'm going with the Alzheimers.

>:D

Seriously that concerns me...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 02:22:05 PM »
If you've got the address why not just write to them?

There is an address (no company or personal name which means it would need to be addressed to "Resident" (or the UK equivalent) at that address in the UK [I am in USA.])

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 02:23:27 PM »
<snip>

Came via Royal Mail...  I didn't see any tracking number but I will look again tonight.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 02:27:21 PM »

I don't recognize the item, I don't remember ordering anything like it, and a google search on the address doesn't give me anything distinctive to clue me in.  I have racked my brain for 24 hours (+/-) trying to determine why it came to me.   o_o

I am concerned because:

1) Do I have something meant for someone else?  Are they wondering, "Why don't I have it?" Are they thinking bad thoughts about a seller who may simply have made an honest blunder?

2) Alzheimer's run on the paternal side of the family and dementia on the maternal side (and now I am just a bit [more than normal] paranoid.)

3) I do have those normal "senior moments" many of us of a certain age can suffer on some days - my wife seems to think it is selective but I assure her it is not, especially not intentionally...  if I ordered it it, what project was it meant for??

Awesome as the item is I don't want to keep it if it belongs to someone else, because while it may be legal by USPS regulations ('unsolicited gift') as a friend pointed out it would certainly be unethical and immoral to not try and clarify why I have this item and, IMO,  that regulation was almost certainly not meant to address this situation.  And if I should know why I have this it will reassure me to know I 'just forgot' it was coming.

If you are the sender would you please PM me or e-mail me at ZorroGames@att.net?  I would be embarrassed if I ordered this and forgot but it beats worrying if this belongs to someone else who paid for it...

Gracias,

Glenn

Who sometimes resembles the absent-minded professor more than I like to admit.

Perhaps if you disclose what the item is, as long as it's not a conical rubber shaped item lol, and that may help jog the sender's mind...if they're a LAF'er.  I saw your concern about a recipient seeing it, but I really dont think that's a significant fear since the recipient would have to know both the sender, you and the 'gift' meant for them.  But f you'd rather not say, that's fine too.  I imagine someone would rather receive a spoiled surprise than no surprise at all...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:29:58 PM by Too Bo Coo »
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 02:36:48 PM »

There is an address (no company or personal name which means it would need to be addressed to "Resident" (or the UK equivalent) at that address in the UK [I am in USA.])

Gracias,

Glenn

then post it back to the residence? Sorry but I have to be missing something here.  Maybe just overthinking it bud tbh.  :?

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 02:37:22 PM »
Perhaps if you disclose what the item is, as long as it's not a conical rubber shaped item lol, and that may help jog the sender's mind...if they're a LAF'er.

Since it came via Royal Mail I started with LAF (not sure I want to try TMP and poke John the OFM with a stick) and if no one responds (it is a SF item) soon I will state what it is (maybe even picture) and risk ruining what may be a surprise gift for someone else.  Because it might be a gift intended for a third party I did not mention specifically what it was other than SF.

It is quite nice and I really would have a use for it now that I see it but it isn't really anything in my core interests. *

Gracias,

Glenn

* defined as

1700s - early 1800s Spanish New Spain

Air Combat (World War 1 to 1970s)

Fantasy mass battle (with Der Kriegspieler and early 1970's Ral Partha Dwarf/Goblin figures.)

Victorian Science Fiction battles and skirmishes

Science Fiction battles versus "Bugs"

Selected Black Powder era(s) battles and skirmishes