Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:28:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Urban scenery  (Read 31434 times)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Urban scenery
« on: September 18, 2014, 01:57:48 PM »
One of my long(loong)-term projects has been about building a proper urban board. I got some buildings about a couple of years ago, but never really got into it. The absurdly gorgeous Ferrograd has been the final inspiration I was requiring :idea: (of course I won't reach half the awesomeness of Ferrograd, but I must credit Colin for the inspiration) :)

My first building would be this tavern. The set wasn't designed to be played in the inside, so I made some modifications. First of all I added a foamboard floor:

The bar was made with some more foamboard and cardboard:

Then some posters, every local tavern has some dirty posters with concerts, ads or just the menu:

So this is the inside after I placed a couple of tables and seats:

The outside was just grey primed. To do some proper weathering I would need an airbrush (which I do not have nor plan to buy). Buuut I had more primer sprays 8-). They work for me, it was just a matter of making it dirty :D:

The final touch was to add a sign. I opted for a hanging tavern sign. As you can see, a coffe stirrer makes the deal. Now you can see here the Firefly influence on me. I already painted a Blue Sun container, so I went on the same way. According to Google Translator ??? it says 'sparkling pulsar'

This is the final aspect:

You can follow the whole process on the blog:
http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.es/2014/09/the-sparklin-pulsar.html

Hopefully this will be only the first of many (and better) buildings, I'll keep you updated!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:54:17 AM by Suber »

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
Re: Futuristic scenery
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2014, 11:40:53 PM »
Awesome! very nice work.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 06:58:13 AM »
Really cool. Love the inside work. Personally, I love adding such details to your scenery. It's real zen to do and adds a lot of fun and realism to your stuff.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 09:57:07 AM »
Thank you! :) I enjoy building these dollhouses :D to the extent of my skills, of course. I aim to build some dirty slums, I'm not really sure where will this lead... ::)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 11:54:42 AM »
Second building for the project! Same manufacturer, MDF built. As I now have a trader of... extrange and usually forbidden objects ;), I definitely was in need of a place where to trade. With that idea in mind, I set a place with two separate parts, the 'public attendance' and the back room, using a piece of foamboard:

The floor was the same for both parts:

I've finally found a place where to set this old examination table! :) (for years I thought of a diorama about a Mechanicus lab, but I've been too lazy ::))

So I've discovered that my bit box should better be known as 'junk mess of different crap', but hey, it has served me for this purpose :D

If I were a genius like the Star Wars production team (sorry, the link is in Spanish, but I believe the pics are quite self explanatory o_o) I would do quality stuff like that; for the moment this is all I got, but well, looks enough for me:

I wanted it to look shabby and crowded, but as I told before, I must not forget this is a piece of scenery, not a damn dollhouse :P, so it must be somehow playable.
As you can see, nothing complicated for the outside:

As this is a... discrete business, the owner doesn't want any sign. If you are coming here, it's because you know what you are looking for...

As I look at it I realize it needs severe weathering effects. I must dare to try grafitti effects, signs or stuff like that...

http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.com.es/2014/10/a-place-for-obscure-trades-and-sales.html

I have some Sarissa Precision stuff on the way home 8) and I'm beginning to come around some ideas for the board. I'll be posting all that over here...

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 11:56:52 AM »
Love the interior work!  :-*

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
    • Sean's Gaming and Shooting Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 01:46:17 PM »
Very impressive.  I love the way these look and I may steal some of your ideas.
The winning player isn't always the better player.

Offline S44lade

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 02:02:48 PM »
Nice interior work, will add to inspiration for my Traveller stuff

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 08:02:16 PM »
Thank you very much! :) I might add shelves or more weird stuff, hmm, still undecided.

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 11:33:06 PM »
Nice work - interior looks great. :)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2014, 08:09:53 PM »
By now I need a board to house all my stuff, so I've finally commited myself to build something! (but don't expect the wonders I tend to see over this forum... :'()

My idea is to use a few 120x60cm boards I have at home. Using some foam, I've come to these basic shapes for a beginning, this will be my port:

There will be an additional level in the back, but still haven't decided the shapes or height. I just begun the 'first floor' ;)

I intend to use that not only for my RT settings, but also for Fantasy, historical or whatever other scenarios I may come up with, so I needed a generic paving. Some tests led me here:

Well, this is nuts! :?  I might do bigger paving stones on the second floor and in futures boards, but for the moment this is what I got.

http://oldschoolworkshop.blogspot.gr/2014/11/besenval-port-stage-1-of-well-many.html

Well, let's see where this leads me...

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2014, 10:21:45 PM »
A good start :)

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
    • Sean's Gaming and Shooting Blog
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2014, 10:24:15 PM »
Nice work.  I look forward to seeing how your project progresses.

Offline frogimus

• Librarian
  • Enthusiastically Apathetic
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2014, 12:41:25 AM »
I applaud your patien and tenacity for doing all those pavers. I would be cross-eyed.
"Never rub another man's rhubarb!"- The Joker(Jack Nicholson)

Offline Suber

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2014, 09:07:22 PM »
Thanks! More incoming soon (I hope). Now I admire even more those wonders that I often see over here in this forum! o_o