Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:20:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689633
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: White Russian Forces (cossack cavalry update 02.12.08)  (Read 19683 times)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
White Russian Forces (cossack cavalry update 02.12.08)
« on: September 03, 2008, 01:50:06 PM »
After over a year of having some white russians I finally sat down to paintthem. Read through my osprey guide and picked on the composite rifle regiment figure for some basic troops.

I did struggle with the colour for the main uniform but have found that foundry moss is a good match.

I will post some photos soonish, but just wondered what colours anybody else has used for that uniform?

Thanks

Dodge

« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 08:33:39 PM by dodge »

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
Re: White Russian Composite Rifle regiment
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2008, 09:10:11 PM »
For russian khaki I use VMC Green Brown. Darkened with black or brown and mixed up with ocre/sand/ivory for the highlights.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: White Russian Composite Rifle regiment
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 09:07:47 AM »
For russian khaki I use VMC Green Brown. Darkened with black or brown and mixed up with ocre/sand/ivory for the highlights.

Thanks Hazel I'll look at that. Mixing would be quite new to me but hey we should always try new things  :D

Dodge

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: White Russian Composite Rifle regiment (with some pictures)
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 09:26:48 AM »
I've finished the first 10 plus an officer, not sure I'm 100% happy now I've photographed them I need much more care in the faces and eyes than I'm currently giving, I do have trouble focusing on that area though when painting.

So for what its worth here they are it was alittle gloomy last night:

The colour I used for the uniform was Foundry moss which worked quite well I think.

Also I have done some Ironclad men in black but painted them to use in a pulp/ bob setting

Hope you like them, some ragged whites to follow in a couple of weeks I expect.

Dodge

Offline Regulator

• Mad Scientist
These look nice. Please more pictures (but maybe brighter).

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius

Thanks Regulator

I'll have another go later. Got the lighting all wrong. Photoshop isn't helping either.

Dodge

Offline Regulator

• Mad Scientist

Thanks Regulator

I'll have another go later. Got the lighting all wrong. Photoshop isn't helping either.

Dodge

I am looking forward to see the guys in brighter pictures.

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
They look good!! The uniform colour works well  :D

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
I am looking forward to see the guys in brighter pictures.

I will have a go but it will be tomorrow night so posts on friday? would that be ok. ;)

Thanks for the comments Hazel I thought the colour went well but I will be having a go at using your colour idea too on the next batch. 8)

Does anyone know what colour I should paint the great coats of my ragged whites. I sort of think grey should be it but if anyone knows it should be different please let me know.
 :-I

Dodge

Offline Regulator

• Mad Scientist
That would be ok, dodge  :)
I don't exactly know something about white russian army, but I think grey or deep brown should work well with the
ragged style. (And it will look like a bunch of poor soldiers).

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
That would be ok, dodge  :)
I don't exactly know something about white russian army, but I think grey or deep brown should work well with the
ragged style. (And it will look like a bunch of poor soldiers).

I think you are right grey or brown. they need to be ragged  :D

dodge

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
Nice minis, I've been contemplating getting a few myself. Wish there was a bit more support for the reds(not that they'd be too different modeling-wise I guess) though. Been wanting to make a tribute to the Motherland through miniatures myself.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Nice minis, I've been contemplating getting a few myself. Wish there was a bit more support for the reds(not that they'd be too different modeling-wise I guess) though. Been wanting to make a tribute to the Motherland through miniatures myself.

Thank you, have you looked at copplestone castings, brigade for the reds they have a good selection.

I have found the white poses a little one dimensional and so was thinking of buyiny copplestone reds to file off bits of the uniform to make whites to have some different poses.

dodge

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
Buy some reds, they are looking more "veteran". Cut off the stars and add some shoulder boards, that´s the main difference between whites and reds.
The greatcoats for the common soldier were off very cheap grey-brown cloth, the officers had coats of better material in grey.

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Buy some reds, they are looking more "veteran". Cut off the stars and add some shoulder boards, that´s the main difference between whites and reds.
The greatcoats for the common soldier were off very cheap grey-brown cloth, the officers had coats of better material in grey.

Thanks Hazel that's useful.

As my whites expand I will d that.

I think grey with devlan mud wash could do the trick

dodge