Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:46:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689765
  • Total Topics: 118294
  • Online Today: 786
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vladimir's Miscellaneous Fantasy Thread  (Read 54461 times)

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
Re: Vladimir's Miscellaneous Fantasy Thread
« Reply #105 on: November 24, 2020, 04:01:13 PM »
Great miniatures and good output I like those wraiths.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2020, 10:26:50 AM »
Great miniatures and good output I like those wraiths.

Cheers! Despite some fiddly bits, they were fun to paint.

In a moment of fidgety desire to paint something, I had a crack at redoing the miniatures from the Betrayal at Baldur's Gate game.

I'll admit they didn't come up as good as some of the other things I've done, but they're a different scale to what I'm used to and my brushes chose RIGHT NOW to start doing a banana peel impression.

Admittedly, part of my reason for starting this project was because I wanted to straighten up the wizard's staff and the drow's sword with some wire...also, the half-orc's eyes were printed half way up his forehead and his hair was party silver and partly brown due to poor positioning.

Honestly, given the state they were in? I felt like I had no choice. There's a few bits I could have done better, but overall I'm content with how they turned out.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #107 on: January 16, 2021, 08:58:25 AM »

Lookie who came to visit me this Christmas; Jakkob Bugmanssen XIV!

No epic backstory penned by me for this one, he's a Kharadron who wonders the realms giving delicious refreshment to the worthy, as per canon.

Between you and me, the glass part doesn't look nearly as good in person.

Overall, he was a fun little project with a ton of lovely gubbins to dote over. I did consider putting battle damage on his armour, but I figured he'd be the type to keep all his gear as well-presented as possible. Pretty ding dang happy with how he turned out, I am.

Offline BZ

• Mad Scientist
  • https://oathgrave.blogspot.com/
    • Oathgrave
« Reply #108 on: January 16, 2021, 04:34:17 PM »
Nice paintjob!

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #109 on: April 15, 2021, 07:27:15 AM »
Nice paintjob!

Cheers! There is a tiny bit on the helmet that I should probably clean up, but you can't really notice it if you aren't super obsessive about every angle, so it stays there as proof that it's okay to be imperfect...until I get less lazy.

Now to get onto what I've been painting recently: the Nehekara Skull-Crushers! This is going to be a big 'un, so grab a cup of tea or something before you keep scrolling.

Hailing from an oasis near the boarder of Nehekara and the Southlands, this plucky team of lizardmen came across the game by chance. Since then, they've trained relentlessly to prove they're just as good as the other teams (or at least as bloodthirsty!)

Chameleon Skinks' main strategy is to turn into innocent berry bushes to confuse the slower-witted (or just hungrier) teams to grab the ball and leg it while the legging is good, the Skull-Crushers are not only a powerful team, but a clever one when they need to be.

The regular runners are adept and sliding under larger players and passing swiftly, but they're not afraid to get their gloves bloodied when they need to.

Here we have two of the strong saurus blockers, guarding the balls with savage ferocity.

Honestly, I'd just forfeit if I saw these two barrelling towards me.

And that's the whole team! The miniatures are, as you've probably guessed, GW's Blood Bowl Lizardmen Team. Overall, the painting part was pretty fun (aside from a few parts which were made more difficult due to self-sabotage) and I'm not terribly sure why they included slottabases with minis that didn't have slots and I'm still slightly afraid to pick up the chameleon skink with his tongue out in case his ankle breaks AGAIN, but aside from those issues? A pretty good kit. I've also got a number of spare parts and transfers, which I'll hopefully find a use for in the near future.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #110 on: May 12, 2021, 07:38:49 AM »

Who's that, lurking in the woods?

Who's that, hiding behind a hood?

Wasn't he an assassin? Does he now guard the forest?

You can ask him yourself, but I'm not sticking around to find out!

This model is GW's Daughters of Khaine Assassin. I've wanted to paint one up for ages, but my grey mountain was too high to include it until recently. I somewhat regret putting the head on when I constructed the body, but it didn't hurt much. It's a wonderful pose which leaves most of the body easy to reach, but it does have a nasty habit of tipping over if you don't pay attention when you're putting it down.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #111 on: June 24, 2021, 07:37:57 AM »

I'm back, with a new group of lizards!

It's the Starblood Stalkers, the Seraphon's first group for Warhammer Underworlds.

Not sure why my lighting was all over the shop on these photos, but unfortunately I can't control the clouds...yet.

Ha, lizard butts.

Not sure where those little white dots came from, they're not on the minis...just assume it's magic or something.

Three more lads, probably not in the best possible pose.

I painted up the chameleon to make it look like it was dropping its camouflage as it blew into its pipe. Probably could've done with a bit more orange on the cheeks, but it's fine.

Lots of blood on the saurus' weapon, the way it should be.

And that's that! Aside from the picture quality, I'd say they turned out pretty well, overall.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #112 on: July 04, 2021, 08:12:51 AM »

Got to the bottom of my shame pile, so I picked up these two, Danny on the left and Princess Fia on the left.

While Fia is fortunate enough to grow up in the lap of luxury, Danny has to work hard to keep fresh water coming for his family.

While this pair have basically nothing in common, who knows what fate has in store for them...

These two are the Wizkids Deepcut Minis children. I picked them up from Dice Arcade, a little shop that opened recently. There were a few fiddly bits, particularly around Danny's bucket, but overall they weren't too bad to paint up. They were also the last things on my painting pile, so it might be a while until I post something new.

Just gotta hope the paintin' shakes don't compel me to start a new army or something until my order comes in...

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #113 on: September 12, 2021, 07:43:52 AM »

Four little cousins went out one day...

Over the hills and far away...

The oldest one said, 'look out, sneak attack!'

So all the little cousins came right back.

The minis are Hasslefree's medieval children. They're small, very hard to photograph but they come up pretty well. I did try and get another rear-facing shot, but that was the best one I could get.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #114 on: October 10, 2021, 09:56:18 AM »

Who's that behind the shield?

It's Talon, self-proclaimed protector of Cutter's Hollow!

Of course, not much tends to HAPPEN in the sleepy logging community, but her presence is a welcome sight when orcs stop by, or when the ref makes an unpopular decision during a previously friendly game of football.

The model is hasslefree's Veda Ann. Aside from my silly decision to attach the shield arm before painting (it joins just above the elbow) this model was so much fun to paint.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #115 on: November 03, 2021, 06:45:59 AM »

This is Itza'hua. Roughly translated, his name means 'misty one.'

Itza'hua would be content to spread the words of the Slaan that were given to him by the starseers, but humans were approaching and someone had to go check them out.

You can probably guess who was given that task.

After being blessed with a cloak of feathers and some other magical trinkets, Itza'hua set out to examine the encroaching humans. Were they allies? Foes? Chaos worshippers? He didn't know, but he was going to find out.

The model is GW's skink priest with feathered cloak and OH MY GOODNESS I'd forgotten how bad finecast could be. The flash and mould lines weren't super bad, but every feather had this little triangle of extra resin linking it to the next feather below it. I nearly went mad cutting each part off hand by hand, but it was worth it.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #116 on: November 03, 2021, 10:02:06 AM »
nice thread - like your lizardmen in particular.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #117 on: December 13, 2021, 11:01:56 AM »
nice thread - like your lizardmen in particular.

Cheers! I love me some laser dinosaurs, so I guess I put a bit more effort into them subconsciously.

And speaking of effort...

This is Grak'yik. He might not have much smarts as other goblins.

What he does have though, are spiders.

The spiders eat, Grak'yik gets shiny gold. Everybody wins...except for the poor suckers they find.

Grak'yik and his pals come to us courtesy of GW's skuttleboss on gigantic spider. Finecast...hoo boy, it's not great on these bigger models. The fact I couldn't find instructions for sticking the legs in means I likely put some of them in the wrong place. Thanks to a stone wall, I gained a little more real estate to glue the legs to the base. Overall it was pretty fun, despite the challenges I faced. The base gave me an excuse to buy some new grass tufts from a new hobby shop, which was nice.

Offline Vladimir Raukov

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #118 on: April 16, 2022, 02:54:53 AM »
Rise from the grave, thread! Rise!

So um, long time no...update? Lowest room in the house got soaked worse than it's ever been thanks to the recent rains and the mould's basically taken over. Since that's where I normally paint, my usual schedule was interrupted until I managed to get everything out. Surprisingly, none of my books were mouldy, which is nice. Then GW's recent controversies came to light and I just couldn't buy from them directly and I looked into Malifaux for an alternative. I'd post what I've painted from that, but I just can't be bothered making another thread to show them off at the moment.

Anyway, fantasy minis. That's what you're here for, so here's something I went and did.

Like many Namarti, N'kari is desparate for souls so he can live longer.

With only two of the required twelve souls he needs for a full life, N'kari fears every day could be his last.

Day after day, he trains with his bow after finishing his construction work so that he will prove worthy of his share.

Of course, he doesn't push to the front of the line, allowing others to take their share of the souls despite his time running out...

The model is a Namarti Reaver. I know I said I haven't bought from GW directly in a while, but he was a freebie. I added little waves of liquid green stuff to the base to simulate the ocean. Would I put in that much effort for a whole army? Probably not. There's likely a cheaper option out there if I wanted to go that way.

I added some extra lizardmen bits I had in my bits box to pretty up the base. Pretty sure they're from the metal slaan mage priest kit and the temple guard set, but I could be wrong. Overall, not a bad little project.

Offline sir_shvantselot

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #119 on: April 16, 2022, 01:18:24 PM »
Love the animation on your spider and all the lizardmen.