Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:36:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691048
  • Total Topics: 118366
  • Online Today: 809
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1879 Battle of Charasiab at Colonial Barracks convention - updated Nov 21, 2015  (Read 30536 times)

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
Re: Terrain for 1879 Battle of Charasiab nearly done
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2015, 10:38:10 PM »
Many thanks for the continuing positive comments!

I will certainly post more pics and another link to my blog when the 28mm armies clash atop the same ground, in the not too distant future.

Rules will be The Sword And The Flame, using my own mix of the 20th Anniversary system with command & control/movement and morale taken from the "800 Fighting Englishmen (the Colonel and the Band)" official big battle variant of the rules, same as I used for my 130th anniversary "Maiwand Day" games back in 2010.

Arundel: I was literally just in Pasadena, less than an hour ago, courtesy of my wife and 2 of our 3 kids (the third was indisposed at a high school basketball game) for Father's Day Tea at the Langham Hotel -- a very proper, somewhat Victorian, Anglophile sort of place.  I'm located a little further West of you, past Glendale and Burbank, in Studio City.  When the time comes to "push lead" across the Charasiab table I will get in touch via heliograph (aka: Private Message).

Hmmm... I believe the Legendary Richard of "War in 15mm" fame is also based here in SoCal.  I've seen pics and read about the illustrious "BLAM!" -- British Lead Adventure ForuM" -- mini-cons, but never heard of any similar get-togethers here in our neck of the woods.  Perhaps we could arrange for a "SCAM" (Southern California lead Adventure foruM" or "SLAM" (Southern california Lead Adventure foruM) or "CLAM" (California Lead Adventure foruM) or some such mini-con or Game Day hereabouts?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 10:44:37 PM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 12:23:35 AM »
Guru, just let me know. I am very familiar with TSATF and so wouldn't prove a total newbie (if that makes a difference). Truly, let me know if you'd ever like to have a game and we'll make it happen. You're more than welcome to come out this way also, though I game in 54mm these days. I'll watch, swords ready and horses saddled, for any flashes you send from over the hilltops=heliograph signals=pm's.

Ah yes, the Langham is a very nice place. If you enjoy a proper tea and are ever out this way again, two others to think about are the Rose Tree Cottage (terrible location but very authentic) and the Huntington Gardens. I highly recommend both.

So happy Father's Day to you, Guru. I'm off to spend the rest of MY Day painting up some Sikh irregulars and sipping the single malt my mother-in-law gave me (bless 'er).

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 01:24:52 AM »
Arundel,

Thanks very much for the well-wishes, and if you happen to be a father I return them in kind!

Actually I'm pretty sure we drove right past the "Rose Tree Cottage" en route from the Langham back to the freeway -- difficult to miss and enough of an oddity located where it is that I commented on it to my family.  Between your recommendation and my own Anglophilia we may have to return.  I've been to Huntington Gardens many times, a few of them for tea, which was always quite good.  It's a wonderful place where you can always discover something new in one of the museum buildings, library, gardens or even the book-shop.  A lesser-known but excellent destination here in Greater Los Angeles, with a great collection of Illuminated Manuscripts to boot.

Funny, you and I are literally just "over the hilltops" from each other.  Your blessed mother-in-law is not by any chance named Victoria...?

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2015, 05:35:43 PM »
Outstanding terrain.
Look forward to seeing your battles on it.
I am sure they will be fun.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2015, 08:15:12 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words, gentlemen.

Sterling Moose and Darrell, please feel free to stop by any time you are in the vicinity of Southern California!

I will!! Now where did i put my Icarus wings  ;) :D

Seriously though, it would be a pleasure if it's ever possible  :)

Darrell.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 09:35:24 AM »
Thanks very much, Marine0846, I expect and certainly hope they will be!

Darrell, much stranger things have certainly happened, even sans Icarus wings, and the pleasure would be mutual I'm sure!

UPDATE: last night I finished hot-gluing the last reeds into place on the banks of my 6'x2' Kabul River terrain board, which means all that's left to complete my two rivers and one swamp is fill them with three to four 1/8" layers of liquid resin.  I hope to make serious progress on that front this coming weekend.  Whenever I do you should see the results here soon after...

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 10:18:20 AM »
Beautiful terrain.
 :-* :-*

Don't forget to post pictures of the game in progress.
It will look amazing with figures in place.
 :D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2015, 11:55:44 AM »
Darrell, much stranger things have certainly happened, even sans Icarus wings, and the pleasure would be mutual I'm sure!

Hopefully one day and yes, the pleasure would certainly be mutual :)

UPDATE: last night I finished hot-gluing the last reeds into place on the banks of my 6'x2' Kabul River terrain board, which means all that's left to complete my two rivers and one swamp is fill them with three to four 1/8" layers of liquid resin.  I hope to make serious progress on that front this coming weekend.  Whenever I do you should see the results here soon after...

Very much looking forward to seeing the pics on your blog- which by the way, has served as inspiration to me for a while now.

Darrell.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2015, 01:41:46 PM »
Good luck with the weekend projects, Guru. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress!

Offline verd

• Scientist
    • El Senyor Verd
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2015, 05:23:44 PM »
Lovely work.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2015, 11:03:16 AM »
Thanks very much for the continued positive comments!

Here's a new link to a post I just put up on my blog showing the results of adding the first layer of resin to the three river and swamp terrain boards --

http://maiwandday.blogspot.com/2015/07/its-raining-resin.html

And here's a handful of pics chosen from the forty-odd on my blog:

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2015, 01:10:16 PM »
Cooler than an Eskimos' fridge  :-*
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Earther

• Mastermind
  • Sat at my Mac, lusting after lead…
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2015, 01:24:04 PM »
I've been following your blog for a long time now, and it's amazing to see it reach the final stages. This so looks like it was worth the time invested. Brilliant boards Mad Guru! :D

Can't wait to see pics of it all in action.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2015, 02:19:04 PM »
Yes, Guru, it's all looking quite astonishing. Absolutely incredible work. I'll shamelessly remind you if you are ever looking for an extra player, who lives nearby, please consider getting in touch. Thank you for sharing!

Daryl

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 03:49:35 PM »
Superb and inspirational work!!  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

I really love the river every bit as much as the marsh. Those big pieces of bark for a backdrop of sorts are a great idea too.

What sort of bark are they?

Darrell.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 03:52:34 PM by Atheling »