Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:23:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: magnus's Fallout project - Radioactive Convertibles painted up (Aug 17)  (Read 12352 times)

Offline magnusthetraitor

• Assistant
Very nice so far, like how well the Dead Snake scout painted up. I can't think of any idea as to what to use for an explosive tip for the spears ether. Maybe grenades or molotov cocktails tied to the ends?

I found a nice youtube clip of the mad max scene in question:

Looks like a slightly wider bit of rod, with some feathers or streamers sculpted on behind it, and a slightly rounded tip with a button or dot at the extreme end. Way less complicated than it was in my head...

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
So pretty much a bomb with a pressure trigger. should be pretty easy to make.
Now how to represent them in the rules. Maybe a javelin with increased armor pin.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline magnusthetraitor

• Assistant

This is what I worked up as a test. Apologies for the crappy pic, I snapped it in a hurry this morning. He looks a little too shiny and chrome. :-p

As to the spear? Close enough, I think! Some green stuff feathers or streamers would make it look nicer, but the core shape works.

In This is Not a Test, I'm starting off running them as grenades. They have a limited ammo; and you can throw them. Not so much a melee weapon unless you are having a bad case of the Witness Mes. A thrown spear with a set strength of 7 and Ignore Armor 1 would probably do it, too! I gave him a machete in a sheath so he can hack at people even if he throws all of his explosive-tipped spears.

I figure I'll post up this pic in the TNT facebook group and see what folks brainstorm. Since I'm running these guys as Tribals, your basic rank and file warriors have something called Rag Tag, which limits the equipment they can have to a fairly low value of 15 bottlecaps. It turns out Grenades and a Light Weapon come in nicely under that threshold, so I can have a swiftly charging pack of loonies armed with explosive sticks. My dreams, they are coming true!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Seems like a great idea to me.  Grenades and blades would be just their thing. If the bombs don't get you, they will get up close and spike you in the back.

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
Sounds good and looks great mate.  :-*

Offline Achilles

• Mad Scientist
  • Heal them, with fire from above.
    • Guerrilla Miniature Games
These look really great Magnus! I was going to use my Muskets and Tomahawks natives as tribals, but these are really the ticket!

All life is an experiment.
The more experiments you make, the better.
To see more painted Toy Soldiers, check out my Blog!

Offline magnusthetraitor

• Assistant
I've been painting up tribals whenever I could over the last few weeks. Here are all the painted figs I have so far!

However, I've experienced some of the most lethal gameplay in any campaign game I've ever played. Despite winning 3 of my 4 games, I've paid dearly in the lives of my men. The grand total so far is:

Strife the Champion
Boner the Warrior
J Man the Scout
Hulk the Berserker
Milk the Tribal
with an honorable mention of Lizmajic, who is out for the next three games.

This pic is showing the results of the third and fourth games.

Our little league of This is Not a Test has between 8 and 10 players right now, and my dead pile is bigger than EVERYONE ELSE COMBINED. Son of a... I need a good medicine man but I can't afford one after vainly attempting to replace all of my dead warriors. It is hard being a cannibal warlord.

On a positive note, the spear-wielding badass pictured above is now a member of the warband and will get painted up soon! He is Nub the Warrior, and he has a great deal of work to do.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 07:50:58 PM by magnusthetraitor »

Offline Scorpio

• Scientist
  • justice wears a mask
    • Metal Skirmish
*Wow.* It's hard out there for a tribal.
PMMDJ
http://metal-skirmish.blogspot.com/

"Seriously, there is an outrageous amount of running involved."

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
I don't think the medicine man is doing his job.

Offline magnusthetraitor

• Assistant
I don't think the medicine man is doing his job.

I know right? My Shaman is really focused on psychic death bolts applied liberally to enemy brains. A healer he is not. He is the skull-masked gentleman in the pic with the warclub.

There is a psychic healing ability but it is a random power on the chart.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
We all have are talents

Offline Deathwing

• Mad Scientist
    • World's End Publishing
You know how much I love this warband.  I am thinking about coming up with a more friendly injury table that folks could use.  That might make an appearance in the second book.  Not mandatory, but for those that want a wasteland with a little less bite.  For now, get a sawbones!

Joey
Joseph McGuire, President/Janitor at World’s End Publishing; producer of the upcoming post-apocalypse skirmish warband game This Is Not a Test.

https://www.facebook.com/TNTGame

http://worldsendpublishing.com/

Offline Brummie Thug

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Brummies Wargaming Blog
Nice to see them painted up dude they look ace :D

Offline magnusthetraitor

• Assistant
Got five more in painting queue right now. You know, to replace the soul crushing losses. ;-)

Offline magnusthetraitor

• Assistant
Re: magnusthetraitor's Fallout project
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2015, 05:47:16 PM »
I dragged out an old Marx Cars of the Future from a few years back and made a mold this weekend. It got a new windshield sculpted on beforehand. As soon as it came out of the mold, my son grabbed it and started zooming around the house with it. Luckily I had some resin on hand and cast a few more up so dad can play with toys too!

For folks who weren't lucky enough to pick these up when they were on ebay at $10 for four cars, I'm sorry. They are a cool addition to any post apoc table. I wanted more though, and don't want to pay the $50 price tag they go for these days (if you can find them!). So I found the terrain at the club that sheltered this beauty and ripped it right off the base.

That is okay though! The old one was painted up really fast for a tournament we host, and it looked like crap. Now it will be replaced by some nicely painted wrecks like this one.

I painted up the base color first, then the windows and seats, then the bumpers and tail lights. Then the rust got splorched on with a piece of sponge. First Rhinox Hide ( a really dark brown), and then some Trollslayer Orange got mixed into the palette. A combo of those colors was used to line and add rust drips. Then the brighest orange was applied splotchily in places.

After all that was dry, a bit of black lining where necessary and a light wash of Agrarardexeasx Earthshade in the crevices and for another layer of weathering.

The Iron Snakes know that the best place to look for radioactive gum and gas masks is in the glove box of old convertibles!

Now I gotta go find the rest of those cars and make another mold or two. I want a proper parking lot, damn it!