Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:35:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689615
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 531
Total: 537

Recent

Author Topic: Frostgrave w/Races  (Read 5945 times)

Offline CthulhuPunk

• Librarian
Re: Frostgrave w/Races
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 02:53:15 PM »
It just seems like after you get four or five games under your belt, everyone's warband will be composed of all the "upgraded" versions of the soldiers. For example, no more thieves because you can afford to take Rangers or Treasure Hunters. No more thugs because you can afford to run Barbarian, Knights, or Templars. Is this how it is?

It kinda depends on style of play of the group I think. It's tempting to upgrade everything until you are running 80-100gp dudes only, but I have found myself (and opponents) going for interesting rather than elite. Finding the perfect theme and miniatures seems to be the priority! What can I say...

Follow more witterings on Twitter: @CthulhuPunk

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 03:09:01 PM »
Nope, as Skaven could only have 20 members in the warband, including giant rats.

If I were gaming with you I would wholeheartly agree.
But in the book it says you can have unlimited number of giant rats. It is not meant to say you can have whatever number you like up to twenty because it is plenty of troop types you can have unlimited number of within the max in every warband. I never saw anyone try to pull that at the table but it was what the author intended.

Offline Darkson71

• Mad Scientist
  • Rolling 1s so you don't have to since '95
    • Home of the ARBBL
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 03:25:49 PM »
Going off topic, but it's clearly spelt out in the rules that a Skaven warband can only have 20 models:

"The maximum number of warriors in the warband may never exceed 20."
Giant rats are listed as "Warriors".
Anyone claiming otherwise isn't even ruleslawyering, they're just wrong.

If you're claiming you can have as many Giant Rats as you want because of the "Your warband may include any number
of Giant Rats" line, then you should also be taking as many Verminkin ("Any number of models may be Verminkin.") in Skaven, Ghouls and Zombies in Undead, Sisters in Sisters of Sigmar etc as you want.
Home of the ARBBL
"I survived the 525"

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2016, 05:13:08 PM »
It just seems like after you get four or five games under your belt, everyone's warband will be composed of all the "upgraded" versions of the soldiers. For example, no more thieves because you can afford to take Rangers or Treasure Hunters. No more thugs because you can afford to run Barbarian, Knights, or Templars. Is this how it is?
Everything has it's own place in a war band, and it depends what type of play style you have.

I'm very aggressive with my Apprentice always ending up in combat, and often on my enemies table edge.
I always take Thieves for chasing down the treasure. Sure a Treasure hunter is better, but the guys that go for the treasure are the ones most likely to get shot, spelled, or shredded to death, and at 20 gold I'd rather it was a thief who is easily replaced.
I know the voices aren't real .... but they have such FASCINATING ideas!

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2016, 05:49:53 PM »
I always take Thieves for chasing down the treasure. Sure a Treasure hunter is better, but the guys that go for the treasure are the ones most likely to get shot, spelled, or shredded to death, and at 20 gold I'd rather it was a thief who is easily replaced.

Not to mention that the point of a treasure-fetcher is to get them off the table with the treasure, removing them from the game on purpose.  No need to drop the money on an elite that you're trying to take out of play yourself.

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2016, 06:44:44 PM »
Another possible approach to differentiating races might be to vary their cost and applying penalties to some stats instead of only giving bonuses.  +1 Fight is certainly very big, but you could compensate by increasing cost and/or applying a -1 Will.

Whether it's worth doing is questionable, though.

Offline Knightofspades

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2016, 11:12:33 PM »
"The maximum number of warriors in the warband may never exceed 20."
Giant rats are listed as "Warriors".
Anyone claiming otherwise isn't even ruleslawyering, they're just wrong.

Ok I checked out the wording again and googled it.
And the whole "you can have as many as you want" thing actually means that you can have as many giant rats you want in a henchman group and nothing else. Apparently there is a limit to how many henchmen you can have in each group. But just as the number of giant rats it is something that have never have come up in any of my games. So I was wrong and you are right.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 02:02:18 AM »
If I was to do races in Frostgrave I would put negative effects in as well. Maybe the +1 Fight could be balanced with a -1 to armour and shoot. Also having the dwarves move slower etc (although as said that would slow them from getting treasure)

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 10:09:23 PM »
I'm generally against individual, racial stats for Frostgrave, but it is fun to think about.

Dwarves:  -1 Move / +2 Health / +1 Item Slot (extra item must be weapon or armor)

Elves:  +1 Move / +1 Shoot / -2 Health / -1 Armor if model equipped with Mail Armor

Orcs:  +1 Fight / -1 Will / -1 to Wizard/Apprentice Casting

Halflings:  -1 Fight / -2 Health / May carry treasure without movement penalty

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2016, 10:52:57 PM »
We tried doing race specific with stat modifiers and it just didn't work.mthe dwarves never got anywhere with their stumpy little legs, and the elves had a MASSIVE bonus with either +1 move or fight.

I'd be interested to see what you come up with, but for me the beauty of Frostgrave is the non race specific stats.

C J.   = )

Offline Tokhuah

• Assistant
  • Wicked Lich of the West
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2016, 01:06:53 AM »
I am totally into the fluff of multi-race characters but am not at all in favor of them messing with stats.  Following are some of my fluff choices:
Elf Ranger
Anthropomorphic Fox and Cougar Archers
North African Apprentice
Pacific Islander Thug

Also, on the fluff side, I name all characters because, without changing the rules in any way, none of my Warband ever really dies.  I pay the cost as if hiring new members, but the Lord of Light always brings them back because he is not done with them yet.  Frostgrave is cold and full of terrors but the fire burns them all away...

...do not calle up That which you cannot put downe; either from dead saltes or out of ye Spheres beyond.

Offline Azzabat

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2016, 01:39:52 AM »
Like.    ;)