Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:53:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Tales of Assumption, Oklahoma (update: 10-02-28 - Assumption: The Final Chapter)  (Read 13472 times)

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
I've posted some photos and links to Old West action here before, but as many LAFers have done before me, I'm going to create one thread (this one) for my reports to keep it all together.  

Assumption, Oklahoma
Assumption lies north of Cheyenne on the plateau.  The folk are hardworking, and like many old west towns, the inhabitants are first generation occupants, having built the town with their own hands.  Many sacrifices have been made, and criminals and outlaws will not be tolerated.

Sheriff John Henry Mast
The town was young and prosperous, and a couple of upstanding citizens approached Old Gabe MacIntyre and offered him the position of Town Sheriff.  Gabe was flattered, and not unfit for the position.  However, as an older man, he knew someone more in his prime should take on the role of protecter of a prosperous town, a town that would surely draw the attention of theives and outlaws.  He knew just the man.  A westerner who had fought with the North during the war, and later spent years riding as a guard for the Rollins Stage Company.  Gabe had crossed paths with John Mast during some trouble down Clearwater way when rustlers had to be driven out by a band of scared townsmen.  Mast, who had just been passing through, took matters in hand and inspired the townsmen to deal with the lawless men.  The rustlers were driven out and their leader was tried and hanged.

John Mast accepted Gabe's offer.  He was unmarried and had no children.  More importantly, he lived by a personal creed that would match perfectly with the values of Assumption and her folk.  For the past two years, the Sheriff has kept the peace, and all has been well in the town and surrounding countryside.

The Arrival of the Outlaws

The well-to-do town had been doing well... perhaps too well.  At the end of summer they arrived.  Bands of roving outlaws from the South and the west.  Gangs of outlaws, rustlers, and murdererous wretches led by infamous desperadoes.  Men who see Assumption as a gold mine ready to be drained.  The only hitch to their plan... John Mast and the Assumption Defenders.  God help the man who tries to take away what they have built.

All the previous posts are here:
- The Day Trouble came to Town
- More Trouble...
- Upstanding Citzens
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:06:43 AM by jet »

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
Re: Tales of Assumption, Oklahoma
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 01:45:15 PM »
UPDATE: The Law Comes to Hackett Farm
All of the other photos and commentary are right here: http://geektactica.blogspot.com/2009/02/law-comes-to-hackett-farm.html

Many developments have taken place since we last looked in on the Assumption Vigilence Committee. There were even more violent engagements in Assumption itself. More brave citizens joined Sheriff Mast's cause, and the infamous outlaw leader, Gentlemen Earl himself, was gunned down by Mast. (He had been warned - J)

After driving the outlaws and remants of the 17th Cavalry from the town proper, the Sheriff received a visit a few days later from Jake Hackett, a local farmer with a respectable spread a couple of miles outside of the town itself. Jake informed Gabe and the Sheriff that the outlaws were holding up in his farm. His wife and children were in hiding at the old mill, and Jake was looking for vengence. Without delay, Sherrif Mast, his deputies, and a great number of concerned citizens mounted up and sped off to the Hackett farm.

All looked peaceful when they arrived. However, close inspection showed much trampling in the kitchen garden.

Lawmen and citizens prepare to drive the 17th cavalry off the property.

The major attempting a sneak attack.

The final showdown.

Facing off against the Bullrun Gang.

Bull Tucker, the Calamity Kid, Bill Scranton, and new blood from the South.

The outlaws prepare for one more stand.

Ken's newly-painted outlaw gang.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:37:21 PM by jet »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2009, 02:34:04 PM »
Woo-hooohh!
Inspirational, and cool!

Rules are LotOW?
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2009, 02:49:41 PM »
"Oooooh-klahoma!"

That is a very nice terrain collection you have there (although I´ll admit that, ignorant European I am, I always thought Oklahoma was a rather dry spot). And the figures look nice in there, too.

I´d really like to play some Wild West some time again...

Offline Lordblackwing

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2009, 03:19:53 PM »
Beautiful layout Jet. I love how your buildings have painted up. Please keep up the reports.
@Westfalia Chris... Oklahoma was grren and fertile til the drought and duststorms in the 30's. Nowdays it is more dry country.

A fellow follower of the Lead Mountain

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2009, 05:08:39 PM »
Brilliant!
I love the vegetable patch
I'm really enjoying your game reports

Offline THEHERMIT

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2009, 11:22:19 PM »
Very nice!

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 11:59:58 AM »
that was awsome nice story line.

Offline Skunkape

• Bookworm
    • http://www.johnprime.com/games.php
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 04:07:10 PM »
Great looking terrain, I'm jealous! :)
Skunk

You wanna be alright you gotta walk tall

Long Beach Dub Allstars & Black Eyed Peas

Offline THEHERMIT

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 10:46:45 PM »
Jolly good read, and lovely scenery and figures!

The vegetable patch is a great touch

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2009, 10:08:52 PM »
Hi Gents,

Haven't posted in a while, but that doesn't mean the Old West has stopped coursing through my veins.  Since last time I build a new road and a Hotel, as shown below.  As always, all the rest of the photos can be found on the blog: http://geektactica.blogspot.com/2009/04/road-to-assumption.html

Later,
JET
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 10:13:48 PM by jet »

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Tales of Assumption, Oklahoma (update: 09/04/20)
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2009, 10:20:32 PM »
That is some mighty fine paintin' and terrain buildin' ya gat there pardner!! Wow!! The little vegetable garden is a very nice little add on feature. Great work, and the figures....impressive!! Thanks for sharing!! Keep up the great work...

:o :o :o :o :o
(A 5 out of Wow smiley face rating!!!)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2009, 10:51:06 PM »
Excellent! Great terrain, really nicely painted models, a story with heaps of tension and atmosphere - this is a fantastic! Looking forward to seeing more!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline jet

• Mad Scientist
    • Geektactica
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 04:55:50 PM »
(original post: http://geektactica.blogspot.com/2009/05/assumption-defenders.html )

We've decided that it's time to play some Legends of the Old West again. During our last bout of gaming, different players were joining the campaign at different points, generally depending on when models were getting finished. Such a difference in each posse's ability level had developed that the games were getting a little one-sided.

We are going to play some games this weekend with new posses selected from the main rulebook. Some of the names and character references may be carried over from the first campaign, but the important thing is that we'll all be starting on the same footing.

The Heroes:

Sheriff John Henry Mast has been called away to Dartmouth, Nova Scotia on pressing family business and will be gone for some time. With Mast leaving, the town's protection was passed to his younger cousin Tom Gunne from Wichita. Tom brought his associate Sam Blake with him from up north, and deputized local businessman Bill Chafe.

(L to R) Deputy Sam Blake, Sheriff Tom Gunne, Deputy William Chafe

The Henchmen:

John Mast encouraged Assumption's concerned citizens to continue their fight against villainy under the capable leadership of Tom Gunne. Some of the original Assumption Vigilence Committee have stayed on - Old Gabe, Ep, and Jake Hackett. Gus Carver, the local undertaker, as well as local barman and entrepreneur John Duffy have also joined the cause.

(L to R) Augustus Carver, Gabe McIntyre, Heinrich Epstein, Jake Hackett, John Duffy

For those who play Legends of the Old West, here's how I spent my $200.00 to enlist the posse:

Sherriff Tom Gunne
    repeating rifle, knife ($46.00)

Deputy Sam Blake
    sixgun, knife ($26.00)

Deputy William Chafe
    repeating rifle, sap ($36.00)

Upstanding Citizens x 5
    sixguns x 4, shotgun x 1 ($92.00)

Grand Total - $200.00 exactly

Keeping the Peace:

Ever since John Mast ran the Bullrun gang out of town, there has been little cause for concern in Assumption. The town now has a strong reputation for dealing swift justice to outlaws and thieves. Although there have been sightings of the Virginia boys to the north, Mast feels that the town is well-protected, and that there should be no cause for worry during his absence. Time will tell.

Later,
JET
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 04:58:25 PM by jet »

Offline duhamel

• Mastermind
  • voyageur
Re: Tales of Assumption, Oklahoma (update: 09/05/30)
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 05:14:42 PM »
 :o :-* :-* :-* 8)
“Le courage consiste à avoir peur mais à continuer tout de même.”

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" The courage consists in being afraid but in continuing all the same. \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"