Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:18:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691287
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Elbows' new Fantasy Thread  (Read 61736 times)

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
Re: Elbows' new Fantasy Thread
« Reply #360 on: December 28, 2021, 03:21:32 PM »
I'm interested to see where Merciless goes, development-wise. Since everything is round based, is it safe to assume you ditched the flank/rear arc rules?
https://www.instagram.com/notify_grout/
Current projects: collecting way too many vintage Warzone models.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #361 on: December 28, 2021, 03:53:57 PM »
Yeah Merciless is a different project, a skirmish game akin to stuff like Mordheim.  I took a break from the dungeon crawl rules after becoming burned out ....so I decided to relax by making, another rule set.  That then also spawned a post-apocalyptic version since my buddy wanted to play "Necromunda" without Necromunda rules, etc.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline NotifyGrout

• Librarian
  • Sub-Random, Cut-Up, Trident
« Reply #362 on: December 29, 2021, 03:16:36 PM »
Yeah Merciless is a different project, a skirmish game akin to stuff like Mordheim.  I took a break from the dungeon crawl rules after becoming burned out ....so I decided to relax by making, another rule set.  That then also spawned a post-apocalyptic version since my buddy wanted to play "Necromunda" without Necromunda rules, etc.

Sorry, I was referring to a specific rule in the original Mordheim- they actually had rules for flank and rear attacks. They wanted to have a justification for square bases when most games of that scale used (and still use) round bases. While I see the appeal for more "realism" (with finger quotes), for the most part I think it's a relic best left in the past.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #363 on: December 29, 2021, 03:47:05 PM »
Ah, gotcha.  Yeah, mechanically this has nothing to do with Mordheim - other than it's a fantasy skirmish where you buy/build your warband and they develop over time and gain skills, etc.  Filling that itch without any connection mechanic-wise to the game.  Mordheim is one of the many games that...I love in theory, but disappoints when I play it.  In typical GW fashion, the minis, the idea, and the lore/IP were great.  The game rules broke down pretty quick (particularly when you have a friend who enjoys lightly abusing the rules and making it incredibly unfun). :D

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #364 on: December 29, 2021, 06:38:55 PM »
Mordheim.  I took a break from the dungeon crawl rules after becoming burned out ....so I decided to relax by making, another rule set.

If you're looking for another play testers, I've been looking for a dungeon crawl game. Been thinking about adapting Sellswords to a dungeon crawl, but that would be a tonne of work. Yours looks really interesting.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #365 on: December 31, 2021, 11:11:34 PM »
Hey Burg, I'm squared away on playtesters - just in the final portion of having to write down the rulebook.  Also, it's a game reliant on hundreds of cards of various sizes/shapes, etc. so it's not just a PDF game, etc.  Had to keep the playtesting to the local area and some friends in another city, etc.

The plan was to have it done this Christmas, but got burned out.  So...maybe by the end of 2022 it'll actually be a thing. :D

Offline Burgundavia

• Mad Scientist
    • Coreyburger.ca
« Reply #366 on: December 31, 2021, 11:22:17 PM »
Hey Burg, I'm squared away on playtesters - just in the final portion of having to write down the rulebook.  Also, it's a game reliant on hundreds of cards of various sizes/shapes, etc. so it's not just a PDF game, etc.  Had to keep the playtesting to the local area and some friends in another city, etc.

The plan was to have it done this Christmas, but got burned out.  So...maybe by the end of 2022 it'll actually be a thing. :D

I hear you there. Working on this stuff is a tonne of work. I am doing a minor revision to Sellswords in the form of new event cards and even that has taken me hours and hours of work.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #367 on: January 05, 2022, 08:56:16 AM »
Some 3D printed Beastmen I knocked out.  Didn't turn out great, but I needed some to do pictures later for inclusion in some games.  Will use these guys in my Merciless warbands and for dungeon crawling.

I really like these. It’s nice to see beastmen types that are not necessarily “feral bloodthirsty savages”

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #368 on: January 05, 2022, 05:50:01 PM »
Yeah they have a strong...not necessarily Greek, but ancient-civilized vibe to them.  If I use them in Merciless with my others, I'll probably pretend they're a separate tribe (with obvious animosity).  Didn't stop me from pointing out the leader with blood on his horns - a pre-battle ritual or some such (ala head canon).

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #369 on: January 09, 2022, 09:39:33 PM »
First minis of 2022, some more choppy boys for my secondary "opfor" warband.  I'm not really excited about finishing this band, but I will knock out another six and move onto something else.

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #370 on: January 10, 2022, 01:18:01 PM »
They look pretty nice to me.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #371 on: January 26, 2022, 11:40:38 PM »
Finished another six - more or less completing the secondary "loaner" warband for Merciless.  I'm digging the group more now that I've knocked out a few more interesting minis.

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #372 on: January 27, 2022, 07:15:40 AM »
 Such a great thread.Love the Beastmen figures.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #373 on: January 27, 2022, 09:27:02 AM »
I really like these. It’s nice to see beastmen types that are not necessarily “feral bloodthirsty savages”

agreed.

can't see what didn't turn out great either - superb miniatures / prints (seem better quality than the ones I've bought off ebay / etsy so far - but it could just be your paint-job).

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #374 on: April 11, 2022, 07:43:44 PM »
While I've been cranking out science fiction minis lately, I've been scheming behind the scenes with more fantasy stuff on the way.  This is range I picked up off Etsy.  He'll be joining the human force against my Chaos Beastman warband.