Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 08:02:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Florian‘s 15mm Fantasy (Update: 19/02 Chaos Dwarfs)  (Read 40142 times)

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
Re: Florian‘s 15mm Fantasy (Update: Blood for the Blood God!)
« Reply #195 on: January 08, 2023, 10:13:46 AM »
The Trudvang game dragon is übercool. Now I want to see the rest of monsters you pull from there.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #196 on: January 08, 2023, 11:26:52 AM »
Very nice addition. You are realy motivated the last days! Inspiering!

Thanks! It’s basically the result of weeks of being able to do only minor steps (like basecoating) or leaving minis unfinished. I’m also quite motivated thanks to the resurgence of 15mm threads here! How‘s Hermann coming along?

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #197 on: January 08, 2023, 11:29:52 AM »
The Trudvang game dragon is übercool. Now I want to see the rest of monsters you pull from there.

I hope to have something ready soon. There are several minis that work for 15mm.

@Trudvang: I wasn’t 100% sold on the basic set. Sure there is awesome stuff like the dragon, but then one of the basic monsters is actually a minotaur (called „bull-troll“ to make it even more ridiculous); that is one of the least nordic monsters I can think of…totally out of place if you ask me. Furthermore the box with the stretchgoals is still missing …:(

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #198 on: January 08, 2023, 10:38:16 PM »
The work on that axe is exquisite.  Well done. 

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #199 on: January 10, 2023, 09:58:01 PM »
The work on that axe is exquisite.  Well done.

Merci! I have to admit that GW‘s coontrast colors over a pre-shaded figure do most of the work.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Florian‘s 15mm Fantasy (Update: The Many-headed Terror)
« Reply #200 on: January 10, 2023, 10:13:58 PM »
How large should monsters be in fantasy worlds?

Classic metal models had technical limitations but were also inspired by ancient depictions. Most of those that were made for 25/28mm lines can easily be used for smaller scales imo.

I still remember how much I awed the Ral Partha dragons and The Grenadier war giants designed by Nick Lund and Mark Copplestone.

Then came plastic and monsters grew larger with every year until they reached absurd dimensions. Don’t believe me? Check out the latest stuff by GW or even better the 15mm dragon from Joan of Arc Time of Legends. It would still be a huge model in 54mm scale…

I think those gigantic beasts destroy any suspension of disbelief. Looking at said dragon or the dragon from Peter Jackson‘s Hobbit (he is NOT Smaug!), I cannot see how these beasts could be defeated — even in fantasy.

Anyway, I found this model of a hydra on my pile of shame carefully curated collection of miniatures and consider it almost perfect. It’s from the game Mythic Battles: Pantheon. Sizewise it’s meant to be 28-32mm, but looking at the beastie, I think it would be dwarfed by many an ogre. In 15mm it’s threatening, dangerous indeed. It could chew a few knights, but would it survive an arrow volley or a cannon shot?

Those are things, I consider important. My units are Dragon Rampant sized, so 12 minis max, and will sooner or later kill the hydra in one game or the other.

I went for a slightly different technique here as a hydra is very useful for many settings. So its not bound to a specific chaos god. The base is still WiP, but I wanted to show a picture.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #201 on: January 10, 2023, 10:17:33 PM »
That's nice - a realistic, Komodo-dragonesque hydra!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #202 on: January 10, 2023, 10:23:55 PM »
That's nice - a realistic, Komodo-dragonesque hydra!

Thanks, Hobgoblin! Yes, it’s somehow pseudo-realistic and will also be a great enemy for any historical heroes. I thought the heads resembled moray eels. They’re nice and creepy…and copy neither Gw nor WoW, which I find really refreshing.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Florian‘s 15mm Fantasy (Update: They come from the North…)
« Reply #203 on: January 14, 2023, 09:43:29 AM »
Again a week where my spare time was mostly spent as a nirse, but spring is coming I heard and it’s warming up here!

So, what did I do: spent a couple of minutes here and there and finished a 12ee unit of beastmen. Except for the leader, which is from Magister Militum, these are Demonworld minis. Cracking little nasties! I like that Werner Klocke went for boars and not rams for his beastmen.

I kept them in blueish tones and added clothing and armor in orange, green and red to somehow connect them with the rest of my Nurgle forces. Sorry for the light again, dudes, but it’s around midnight that I paint.

Next on my table are the rest of the nurglings and Khorne followers!

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #204 on: January 14, 2023, 12:10:04 PM »
The Demonworld beastmen are truly original designs. Cracking work you've done on them.
Let the 15mm frenzy go on!

Offline Idle Doodler

• Scientist
    • Idle Doings of an Idle Doodler
« Reply #205 on: January 14, 2023, 01:21:37 PM »
A great motley crowd - I'll have to add those to my wishlist

Online LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #206 on: January 15, 2023, 09:06:36 AM »
The hydra is amazing  :o

And the beastman are as always lovely. They are so nice sculpts, loved to paint them! Great progress as always.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #207 on: January 15, 2023, 10:12:52 AM »
The Demonworld beastmen are truly original designs. Cracking work you've done on them.
Let the 15mm frenzy go on!

Yes, Demonworld is still imo the best range available. Its scultps are pretty good, still on par with the best modern 15mm like Copplestone, but it’s also vast and doesn’t suffer from Scalecreep. Ral Partha thankfully has everything (afaik) back in production. The desire to be different yet recognizable GW is the main charm. Of course they have beastmen, but not *those* beastmen!

A great motley crowd - I'll have to add those to my wishlist
Do that! Just check the prices from „boutique“ 28mm ranges and buy an army for the price of a unit!

The hydra is amazing  :o

And the beastman are as always lovely. They are so nice sculpts, loved to paint them! Great progress as always.

Thank you. That hydra actually lay for years on my pile of shame until I realized that it’s the perfect size for 15mm. And it’s a refreshing break from most comically exaggerated hydras.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2023, 04:00:55 PM by DivisMal »

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Florian‘s 15mm Fantasy (Update: The Army of Nurgle)
« Reply #208 on: January 15, 2023, 10:18:34 AM »
Okay, working on many things simultaneously, but here’s an impression of what I already have painted and battle ready. Papa Nurgle is pleased with me, I hope!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Florian‘s 15mm Fantasy (Update: The Army of Nurgle)
« Reply #209 on: January 15, 2023, 10:19:28 AM »
And some more.