Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:26:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Florian‘s 15mm Fantasy (Update: 19/02 Chaos Dwarfs)  (Read 40184 times)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: Florian‘s 15mm Fantasy (Update: The Ghost of Living Fire)
« Reply #165 on: December 23, 2022, 10:43:46 AM »
That’s a very cool figure and I love how you painted it. I’ll echo what you said about the contrast medium, it is very useful stuff. I find it very helpful when working with the darker contrast paints - it produces much subtler gradients.

Thank you, Pattus. I only discovered it some weeks ago as usually it way sold out in the hobby store, I usually visit. And you are totally correct, suddenly all those very dark shades become interesting again.
I mixed it just using a clean brush, but I think I need another solution to replicate certain formulas.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Florian‘s 15mm Fantasy (Update: Ogre Mage of Nurgle)
« Reply #166 on: December 23, 2022, 10:45:30 AM »
:D I didn’t know I had such power.

Love the result, ready to tear some dwarfs apart.

Try to test it on someone else! Maybe you have super powers?! Yeah, Balin‘s expedition will be the logical next step. But first I need some more orcs for him!

Fantastic additions! Especially like the Magician

Great work on both of those! That hobgoblin shaman is one of my favourite miniatures of all time.

Thank you, Malebolgia and Hobgoblin! It’s a sculpt I really cherish, because seriously: no one makes such models anymore! With the Oldhammer revival we have many pastiches of the late 80s/mid90s comical GW style, but now one has really discovered what was before (and parallel to) it!

And a strange side effect of all this 15mm painting is a renewed interest in the old Nick Lund Fantasy Warriors line…oh my as if I don’t have problems focusing within one scale…🤦‍♂️
« Last Edit: December 23, 2022, 10:51:12 AM by DivisMal »

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #167 on: December 24, 2022, 09:06:55 AM »
Try to test it on someone else! Maybe you have super powers?! Yeah, Balin‘s expedition will be the logical next step. But first I need some more orcs for him!

ORCS ORCS ORCS, you never have enough of them. That reminds me that i'm in dire need of some. What is a dwarf without a orc to slay.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #168 on: December 24, 2022, 11:21:56 AM »
ORCS ORCS ORCS, you never have enough of them. That reminds me that i'm in dire need of some. What is a dwarf without a orc to slay.

Hmm Father Christmas is using all his powers to block yours, but I will see what I can do!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Florian‘s 15mm Fantasy (Update: The Father of Dragons)
« Reply #169 on: December 26, 2022, 08:09:06 AM »
„Glaurung, the first of the Urulóki, the fire-drakes of the North, issued from Angband’s gates by night“ (J.R.R. Tolkien, The Silmarillion)

Some time ago, I ordered an excellent wingless dragon from Khurasan. Brooding over what to do with him coincided with my rereading of the Silmarillion, which indeed gets better with my own aging. Anyway, I decided to do him as Glaurung, the father of dragons.

I was hugely inspired by this excellent blogpost from Mogsy telling all you 28mm guys how to get an imposing tolkienesque dragon out of a Schleich toy for less than £15:
https://mogsymakes.net/2021/10/27/glaurung-the-first-dragon-of-middle-earth/

The project stalled in the summer suffering from new „Oh shiny!“ models, but this year’s Christmas had my sister give me a beautiful book full of strange and fascinating images drawn and colored by Prof. Tolkien himself (highly recommend). Its title illustration is none other than said Glaurung. Remark the yellow back, the wyrm-like shape and the blueish/greenish face!

So I sat down the last two evenings (wife and daughter are still sick, coughing and sneezing…) …😎

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #170 on: December 26, 2022, 08:11:16 AM »
Looking at it now, I think my Glaurung is a bit too blue…my first attempt was pretty green so I „repaired“ it yesterday night with poor light 🙄

Anyway here is the father of dragons based for HotT:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2022, 08:12:48 AM by DivisMal »

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #171 on: December 26, 2022, 08:15:04 AM »
The beast is very difficult to photograph with my mobile, here’s a last attempt.

Seeing it now, I am happy with the colors, strange and not what everyone has been served by d&d and Warhammer, but I need to go over that rock base again…🤦‍♂️

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #172 on: December 26, 2022, 10:20:16 AM »
Lovely oldschool Lindwurm. I think you captured Tolkins imagination very well, with the color scheme. Your evil forces grow fast, pretty worrisome.

Offline Ethelred the Almost Ready

• Mastermind
« Reply #173 on: December 27, 2022, 12:15:12 AM »
Nice sculpt and great painting.  I like the oicture looking into Glaurung's eyes - you have done a good job there - easy to believe the powers of a dragons gaze!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #174 on: January 03, 2023, 07:22:40 PM »
Lovely oldschool Lindwurm. I think you captured Tolkins imagination very well, with the color scheme. Your evil forces grow fast, pretty worrisome.

Nice sculpt and great painting.  I like the oicture looking into Glaurung's eyes - you have done a good job there - easy to believe the powers of a dragons gaze!

Thank you, Peter & Ethelred! Currently have a little aversion against those orcs…but they’ll cone one day or the other. About the model, it’s really strange how difficult it is to find dragons not clearly ripoed off of GW. This one is a real gem!

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Florian‘s 15mm Fantasy (Update Jan 2023: Giants & Drow)
« Reply #175 on: January 03, 2023, 07:26:27 PM »
A happy new year to you , fellow LAFers!

Over the holidays I had nearly no time to paint. Finally it was my time for a cold and then we cross-infected ourselves a little.

I did manage to finish some older models, though. Here, for a start, is an excellent 15mm giant by the one and only Mark Copplestone. A brilliant model as usual.

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #176 on: January 03, 2023, 07:36:24 PM »
Nice giant! A good start for 2023.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #177 on: January 03, 2023, 07:36:44 PM »
This one is one of my favorites. It’s a dark eelf from Splintered Light Miniatures. Bloody awesome sculpt. Sadly not compatible with the Demonworld Dark Elf range, but I’m gonna use the latter for something different then.
This guy screams hero to me and that’s how he’s going to be used in my SoBH games.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #178 on: January 03, 2023, 07:37:45 PM »
Nice giant! A good start for 2023.

Thank you! And happy painting to you, too!

Offline LoxIslay

• Scientist
« Reply #179 on: January 03, 2023, 07:40:47 PM »
This one is one of my favorites. It’s a dark eelf from Splintered Light Miniatures. Bloody awesome sculpt. Sadly not compatible with the Demonworld Dark Elf range, but I’m gonna use the latter for something different then.
This guy screams hero to me and that’s how he’s going to be used in my SoBH games.

That’s fast. Amazing Model, he’s a perfect hero. Also ready to slice himself through hordes of zombies