Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:44:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686616
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ogrob's fantasy projects - We need axes 17/3  (Read 128751 times)

Offline Seditiosus

• Bookworm
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Painted mounted rangers 19/8
« Reply #495 on: August 27, 2021, 08:38:27 PM »
They look great. The birch seeds really give them a nice touch...

speaking of birch seeds... are you painting these? The ones I just recently collected have a more greyish-brownish color.. if so, is there any special trick involved?

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #496 on: August 27, 2021, 09:54:49 PM »
The trick is to be too lazy to do it yourself, and buy them pre-stained. Greenstuff World has tubs of green and orange leaves, which I believe are stained birch seeds, but not idea on how they do it.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #497 on: August 30, 2021, 10:48:21 AM »
The trick is to be too lazy to do it yourself, and buy them pre-stained. Greenstuff World has tubs of green and orange leaves, which I believe are stained birch seeds, but not idea on how they do it.
I agree whole heartedly., but they look good.
https://www.green-scenes.co.uk/store?productlist-categories=little-leaf-company
There was a discussion about their source here: https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=116831.0

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
« Reply #498 on: August 30, 2021, 12:00:06 PM »
Stellar stuff as usual. Really love the tones you choose, as always.

How are you finding SAGA Age of Magic? Is it replacing Oathmark for you?

My gaming group has cooled slightly on Oathmark recently with a few players stating it feels a bit 'samey'. Hoping we get at least another few months of use out of it though.
" ... the seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."

-Thrall Flavor Text, Myth: The Fallen Lords

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #499 on: August 30, 2021, 03:15:47 PM »
Stellar stuff as usual. Really love the tones you choose, as always.

How are you finding SAGA Age of Magic? Is it replacing Oathmark for you?

My gaming group has cooled slightly on Oathmark recently with a few players stating it feels a bit 'samey'. Hoping we get at least another few months of use out of it though.

Not at all, different games for different occasions. I love Oathmark's military expeditions, and I honestly haven't had a chance to play very many games over the last year so I want to play the new onces in Bane of Kings. During the period the gaming club was closed I've had one regular opponent who lives near me, and we have played maybe five games of Oathmark. Not played SAGA in about a year, but eager to get back to it.

SAGA is a great pickup game, especially if you have Book of Battles, Oathmark probably wants some narrative or campaign structure to shine and not get too samey.

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #500 on: November 21, 2021, 11:18:38 AM »
I received my Oathmark light dwarf infantry preorder the other day, and thought I would do a little mini review on here. Haven't seen too many of these out in the wild yet.

Let's start with a quick look at the metal heroes. In my opinion these might be the best metal heroes North Star have done yet for Oathmark. Full of character and lovely clean sculpts. Casts are also really good for the most part, but my drummer is missing a little bit of the thin rim from his drum.

On to the plastic kit. Overall, I'm really happy with this kit. I thought there was going to be repeat heads from the regular Dwarf Infantry, but it is all new sculpts and plenty of them as well. Nice character and a good mix of hats, hoods and helmets. I plan to mostly build Border Guards with this kit, so hoods are going to be my first choice. However, I have one big issue with this kit. They are meant to be built as either archers or with two-handed weapons but not a single of the five bodies has a pose that can work for shooting a bow. They are all either mid stride or in wide dynamic stances with their hips turned in completely the wrong direction for archery. There are arms posed as if loosing an arrow, but I feel like they do not work at all. I opted to build all of mine as fighting with a one handed weapon and just holding their bows in their off hand.

Still, between the great heads, cool set of improvised two-handed weapons and nice bits and pieces I have to say this is a really nice kit.

I built five Border Guard almost straight from one sprue, just with one regular Dwarf Infantry head, and two small pieces of equipment from a Frostgrave sprue.

I also replaced a few heads from some Brambles Dwarf Soldier, and as you can see the heads swap over easily between kits. The head on the right with his hood down is probably my favourite of them all:

What do you think?

Offline Knight-Captain Tyr

• Mad Scientist
  • Journal Keeper
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Oathmark light dwarves mini review 21/11
« Reply #501 on: November 21, 2021, 11:27:35 AM »
Glad to see this project back!

One quick Q - did you find the metal dwarf heroes slightly smaller than their plastic brethren? For the Undead release, the metal heroes were noticeably smaller than plastic counterparts, which looks a little odd when ranking up.

Keen to see the dwarves painted up - definitely grabbing a sprue of these when I can.

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #502 on: November 21, 2021, 11:33:07 AM »
They do seem to be a little smaller, you are right. When I've built a little more I'll get a photo with a metal hero in a unit.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #503 on: November 22, 2021, 07:08:48 AM »
Thanks formte review, they look great! I definitely need some.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Baconfat

• Librarian
    • baconfatblog.blogspot.com
« Reply #504 on: November 25, 2021, 01:55:03 AM »
What exactly are Brambles Dwarf Soldiers?   

My googling failed.

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #505 on: November 25, 2021, 06:19:48 AM »
"the Brambles" is the name I picked for my Dwarf and Halfling kingdom for Oathmark, somewhere back in this thread. They've not yet been painted unfortunately.

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #506 on: December 14, 2021, 01:56:35 PM »
Hey guys, back again with another little review! Not so much time for painting right now, but as always, managing to add more and more to the grey pile.

This time, Fireforge's new Spanish Almughavars. I have no idea about the historicity of these, and I don't terribly care. What they do offer in my view is a nice complement to the Oathmark and Frostgrave series of plastics, as they fit really well with these as far as size and proprotions.

The kit comes with some nice options that Oathmark is missing, especially the javelins. They also have cleavers, swords and spears available. There's also a nifty accessory sprue which has a variety of shields and some nice packs of javelins. You can see sprues on Fireforge's page here

I assembled one quickly out of the box, and here is what he looks like next to a Victrix Saxon, an Oathmark human and a Perry man at arms.

All told, I really like this kit. It fills in some missing options in the generic dark age human range, and scultping is pretty good. Not quite as good detail as Victrix, but pretty similar to Oathmark and Wargames Atlantic.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Re: Ogrob's fantasy projects - Fireforge plastic spanish mini review 14/12
« Reply #507 on: December 14, 2021, 02:47:17 PM »
Thanks for taking a look at the set! I'd totally missed the announcement on those!

It's great to see them slightly skinnier than some of the older Fireforge kits so they scale in with the other ranges, and having a source of mail bodies is always a bonus  lol

Offline Porsenna

• Assistant
« Reply #508 on: December 14, 2021, 03:27:20 PM »
I can't quiet tell by looking at the pics on thier website- are some of the bodies armored in scale armor?

Online Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #509 on: December 14, 2021, 03:33:50 PM »
I can't quiet tell by looking at the pics on thier website- are some of the bodies armored in scale armor?

No, there's two in mail, three in some leather jerkin type things and one body with a fur or sheepskin over his mail per sprue.