Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:30:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686615
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Mountain of 15mm Fantasy (New 12/03/23 - Friends go Forth)  (Read 30766 times)

Offline CPBelt

• Bookworm
    • League of Ordinary Gamers Blog
Re: Mountain of 15mm Fantasy (Update 01/17/2021 - Pigs have a Home)
« Reply #90 on: December 05, 2021, 04:19:02 PM »
This project did not start off well because the chipboard base totally warped.  I even tried the reverse side PVA glue and water technique.  Initially, it look liked it was going to work, but the end result is below. 

My son saved the day as he 3D printed a very thin base that worked out great.  I have always struggled to find thin material for terrain projects that would not warp and this may be an excellent solution. 

I'm coming to this thread really late, but I have used two approaches. Our local Home Depot sells thin-ish plywood in smaller sheets. I can't remember the size. It's maybe 2'x3'? Hold up well. Downside is that lumber prices are through the roof--a few months ago I looked at getting some more sheets and got sticker shock.  :o

Another good alternative is artist canvas boards. They come in many different sizes and are not very expensive. I paint them with gesso first, which they are designed to take, and then decorate and attach buildings. The local art supply store carries them. I'm not sure if Hobby Lobby does.

Just a couple possibilities.

I'm slowly getting back into real miniature painting. I love this thread!

Home of fantasy, ancient, and dark age paper armies for WM & other games.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: Mountain of 15mm Fantasy (Update 11/13/2021 - Laketown Completed!)
« Reply #91 on: December 05, 2021, 05:11:01 PM »
Thank you for the kind replies.  It is appreciated. 

Skipper,

The bases I am using are also LITKO as well.  It is a 0.75 inch diameter and 1.5mm deep circular base. It is one of their standard offerings and I brought them by the hundreds. 

While I plan to use my figures for Dragon Rampant, to allow my individual based figures to be used in DBA style games I custom ordered bases to hold them.  Working with Litko they designed a 3.5" x 1.5" bases with 4 slots for infantry and 3 for Cavalry.  I intended to base by Cavalry (once painted) on 1" circular bases.

Please let me know if you need more info

CPBelt,

Here was the solution for me on that project.  My son printed a base from his 3D filament printer.  The plastic was study and did the job.   

Take Care

Offline Chief Lackey Rich

• Mastermind
« Reply #92 on: December 07, 2021, 12:06:40 PM »
Now I can’t wait to see how you build Laketown.  :)
Dan

An empty lake with lots of stumps sticking out the water.  It is post dragon attack.   ;)

Don't forget the blue cloth for the lake surface.  Bonus points if you can paint it so it looks like there's a crashed Smaug beneath the surface.  :)

Or for a later War of the Ring version, I suppose it would be his skeleton.  The books went out of their way to say no one dared to disturb his body for all the gems it was encrusted with, so the bones should be pretty intact.  The new Laketown was built on the shore quite a ways away - superstitious dread, or the negative environmental impact of a rotting dragon corpes, you decide.  Could still have a battle or series of skirmishes near the old ruins, maybe with the remains of the temporary shelters on the shore part of the table. 

Hmmm...maybe a scenario where some of Mordor's minions are trying to recover Smaug's bones for some nefarious purpose, and/or the jewels from the muck beneath them?  The good guys have to stop them or Something Bad happens.  In D&D that'd end up with the Baddies trying to raise a dracolich or zombie dragon, but that's not Tolkein's style at all.

Speaking of the effects of having a rotting dragon in your drinking water and fishing reserve, I imagine you'd start to see some funny kids a generation in or so.  In D&D terms, you want dragonborn, that's how you get dragonborn.  None of this noble magical hatch out of an egg thing, just slow mutation and corruption like less-fishy Deep Ones without the piscine intercourse thing.  But that's not Tolkein either.  :)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2021, 12:41:24 PM by Chief Lackey Rich »

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2022, 08:19:36 PM »
A friend gave me a lovely 15mm tower.  I just had to paint it up.  The maker is unknown to me.  It is one big solid piece of resin.

Enjoy

The sentry blows the horn! 

Thank you

Offline CPBelt

• Bookworm
    • League of Ordinary Gamers Blog
Re: Mountain of 15mm Fantasy (Update 07/02/2022 - Tower)
« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2022, 10:29:16 PM »
I've never seen this. It looks cool, and you did a great job on the painting! I'm a sucker for towers. Now you just need a dragon landing on it!  :D

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: Mountain of 15mm Fantasy (Update 07/02/2022 - Tower)
« Reply #95 on: August 09, 2022, 12:04:41 AM »
Hello all,

You can be forgiven thinking I had forgotten my LOTR project.  But no, I have returned!  I was simply distracted by a mass of mechs and a tip into AWI. 

Here we have the start of the Woodland Realm forces.  The elves of Mirkwood.  These miniatures are Mirliton from their 15mm fantasy line.  The castings are excellent. 

The first spear unit. 

A close up of the character models.

Detailed shot of the three casts of spearmen.

I have a very large group of archers ready to be primed behind them. 

Thank you and enjoy

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mountain of 15mm Fantasy (Update 08/08/2022 - Elf Spears)
« Reply #96 on: August 09, 2022, 12:36:35 AM »
Those are beautiful figures! Nice job on the painting and basing, too.

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #97 on: August 09, 2022, 08:58:40 AM »
Excellent figures and most excellent paintjob.
Such a shame that Mirliton has those excessive shipping costs, really discourages from ordering something from them even though Italy isn't that far from Spain.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #98 on: August 09, 2022, 09:13:50 AM »
Great stuff - really nice paintwork!

Those ex-Grenadier 15mm figures are lovely.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #99 on: August 14, 2022, 05:16:53 AM »
Hello all,

15mm paints so much faster than 28mm.  I present three glorious units of Elven archers.  A huge milestone because this is half of the army done.  3 more unit to go!

These are once again Mirliton miniatures. 

Please enjoy 

The whole group. 

The command element with the very shinny "Captain of the Bow" 

Some details of the various cast. 

Because I was very proud of the result, a backside shot showing the awesome flowy elven cloaks. 

Thank you

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Hello All,

The Elf spearmen are complete!  A nice group for 40 for most wargaming needs.  There is only ONE unit left to paint to complete the army, the king's guard. 

Please enjoy, but forgive my deer head banner.   ;)

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 04:20:43 AM by LouieN »

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
Re: Mountain of 15mm Fantasy (Update 08/22/2022 - Elf Spearmen Complete)
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2022, 04:14:00 AM »
Hello All,

Three cheers...Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!  

The last of the five armies is now complete.  I present the King's guard and the full force of Mirkwood. Please enjoy 

This is how 2 years of painting and five 15mm armies look like in storage.

BUT WAIT....THERE'S More!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yikk2Ye9rQw

The Eagles are coming the Eagles are coming!

These are D&D great eagles miniatures recruited for the cause of light.  Their size fits my image of a great eagles.   This was my first use of the GW contrast paints.  I was impressed with the brown, but less with the gray.  I can see why they are good.  They made the initial base painting very fast.

Anticipating the ask for comparison shots to the 15mm troopers...

As always Thank you
« Last Edit: August 29, 2022, 04:16:27 AM by LouieN »

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
The Battle of the five armies is ready to play!  A two-year project is now truly complete.  Huzzah!

We completed the terrain over the weekend in a mad burst to be ready for the game.  I could have not done it without the kids (slave labor) and a good friend (bribed Labor).  I really appreciated their help. 

I wanted a nontraditional flat grey for the mountain ridges.  I am very pleased with how the colors came out. 

Finally, I was able to deploy the horde of minis for tomorrow's battle

Please enjoy

It started like this. 

and it ended like this

Here is Thorin I think he is saying something... 

"GET OFF MY LAWN!"

Prepare for Battle!

Thank you

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
That's a superb set-up!

Really great work - you must report as the rocks are stained black with goblin blood!

Offline Old Hob

• Scientist
The Battle of the five armies is ready to play!  A two-year project is now truly complete.  Huzzah!

Congratulations! I saw your final set-up and I instantly wanted to play the game. That looks like it's going to be a total blast. Do let us know how the it goes down.

The first wargame I ever made (when I was a wee young hob) was the Battle of Five Armies, with the arms of the mountain and the river drawn out on gridded paper (nicked from school) and with little cardboard counters for the units. So seeing your 'proper' wargame version makes me very happy indeed.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2022, 09:19:25 PM by Old Hob »