Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 06:53:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: CapnJim's Modern Stuff (Next Northern Gambola game back on...Pg 25 - 09 Apr 24)  (Read 44914 times)

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
A mighty fine Batrep Jimbo  :-*

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
A mighty fine Batrep Jimbo  :-*

Thanks, M'Lord.  Appreciate that...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
And I think things are gonna heat up there in Balszakistan, with US and Russian troops getting involved.  I've got an idea for a scenario that could involve US infantry and Balszaki resistance fighting Russian VDV and Motor Rifle Troops, over some damn bridge. 

Gotta paint the US platoon and the VDV platoon, but I have everything else done...and said painting should commence this summer, after I finish a few more figures and buildings for my US 1920s Battle of Matewan scenario I plan on running at cons later this year... 

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Actually, I think a few intermediate scenarios are in order, as things heat up and get out of control in Balszakistan.

First, the Balszaki rebels (the Balszaki Freedom Front, or BFF), are pissed (not to mention a bit embarrassed) about the US's successful hostage rescue.  So I think a BFF attack on the US Consulate in Balszakistan is in order (think about the movie Rules of Engagement...).  That will lead to broader US involvement, one way or the other.

Then, I think there needs to be a border incident between Balszaki border guards and Russian Interior Ministry troops, which will give the Russians an excuse to intervene.

Then, perhaps an attack by the People's Balszaki Resistance (PBR) on Russian troops will introduce another faction.  At that point, we'll have the US, the Balszaki Armed Forces, and the PBR aligned against the Russians, the BFF, and local armed gangs/thugs.  That oughta do it...

Then I think the afore-mentioned fight for the bridge can be safely conducted...and we'll go from there...
« Last Edit: April 30, 2023, 04:24:05 PM by CapnJim »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Gotta paint the US platoon and the VDV platoon, but I have everything else done...

Check that.  Gotta have some Balszaki national troops.  I've ordered Khurasan Miniatures 28mm modern Ukrainians to form the basis for my Balszakis...once them come in next week, I'll see about augmenting them somehow...

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Between preparatory activities for my 1920 West Virginia Coal Mine wars Battle of Matewan scenario (see my Pulp thread...), my weekly gaming group is going modern-ish Friday.  I've put together a scenario that takes place in about 1990(ish) in the Peoples' Republic of Northern Gambola (PRoNG - my fictional African country, ever in a state of political and military disarray...).

I've attached the Scenario sheets, Force Lists, and Scenario Special Rules we'll be using below.  Please note that this little scrum will be in 28mm, and we will be using Fistful of Lead: Bigger Battles rules.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
And here are a few shots of the battlefield, perhaps obtained by aerial photo recon... ;)

And, of course, I will post an illustrated AAR once hostilities have ended (for this battle, anyway.  it seems hostilities never end in Northern Gambola...). 

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Re: CapnJim's Modern Stuff (Back to Northern Gambola...Pg. 12 - 14 Jun 23)
« Reply #172 on: June 14, 2023, 06:45:53 PM »
Good grief — that city looks like it's gone through a lot of strife!
: 3

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #173 on: June 14, 2023, 10:28:13 PM »
Yes, well, Northern Gambola has seen more than it's share of strife...and that's just in our games...the back story is full of colonial doings, uprisings, the War of Independence, coups, rebellions, civil wars, insurgencies, foreign interventions...

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #174 on: June 15, 2023, 07:18:48 AM »
the back story is full of colonial doings, uprisings, the War of Independence, coups, rebellions, civil wars, insurgencies, foreign interventions...

Busy Wednesday then? :D
Looks a great table to play on.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #175 on: June 17, 2023, 01:32:05 AM »
Thanks has.been.  It was a great table to play on, if I do say so myself.   :D

We played the Northern Gambola battle today.  But before I dive in to the AAR, an administrative note - the Gambolan BTR80s and the armored cars (a Saladin and a Panhard AML90, as it turns out) actually have Damage Ratings of 3.  The light truck only has a Damage Rating of 2.

First we rolled off to see who played who.  I ended up with the US Rangers.  Ted ended up with the PRoNG Colonel, RPG team, and a Motor Rifle Platoon. Gene took the PRoNG armored cars and the BUM militia platoon.  This was essentially a company attack on a prepared platoon defense.

The US Rangers deployed, all starting hidden, per the pic below.  The AT teams forward, with one in a sandbag position at the right approach to the bridge, the other on the roof left of the road behind sandbags.  The sniper team was in a sandbag position at the left approach to the bridge (they had a door into the nearby building handy so they could deploy to a secondary firing position if they needed to).  The Platoon leader and 1st Squad was on a rooftop (again with sandbags) right of the road, with the Platoon Sergeant and 2nd squad on the roof right of the road (yes, with sandbags).  3rd Squad was in reserve, located near the intersection, out of sight of the enemy.  The Rangers had also placed dirt berms across the road as it entered the western edge of Bangerizi.

The PRoNG and Gum units deployed as shown in the pic below, having just crested a low ridge just west of the bridge.  The motor rifle platoon (all mounted up) was astride the road, the armored car platoon left of them, and the GUM militia in among the rocks left and behind the armored cars.  The Colonel and the RPG team, in the light truck, were behind the motor rifle platoon. 

This is how the forces would be arrayed when hostilities commenced.  But before I get into the AAR proper, a teaser prologue...

As the Ranger Battalion Commander approached where 1st platoon, A Company had fought, he saw to his right the Dustoff bird taking off.  As his Humvee rounded a curve in the road, he got his first glimpse of the aftermath of 1st platoon's demise.  He could see 2 stationary BTRs blocking the road, with what looked like an abandoned civilian car blocking the side road.  He could see smoke from a burning vehicle behind the left BTR, and more smoke coming from the bridge.  He thought that looked like another BTR.  He could also see guys from the rest of A company going about their business.   Then he saw the bodies.  Too many dead Rangers, he figured 15 to 20 of them, all lined up in the road, with other rangers collecting dog tags and personal effects from them.  He could also see some Gambolan dead, about as many as there were Rangers.

His driver stopped the Humvee near where the dead Rangers were lined up, and CPT Brittle approached.  "What the f*** happened here, John"? Asked LTC Kurts. "It ain't good, Sir, but there's a silver lining to this dark cloud." replied the Captain.  "LT Gridley radioed for help as they were being overrun, but 3rd platoon got here too late.  It was over by then, except for chasing off the Gambolan survivors."  "How bad is it?" asked Kurts.  "Well, the owner of that car was holed up on the roof of this building..." he pointed to the single-story building next to the LTC's Humvee "...and he saw just about everything.  The poor guy was trying to get away from the Gambolans, his car broke down, and he and his son ended up watching this shitstorm from up there."  Brittle continued.  "18 of 1st platoon's 23 men are dead.  5 survived, but they're all pretty badly wounded.  LT Gridley and Sergeant Chisolm both survived - they're on the medevac you saw taking off.  They both talked a bit while the medics worked on them, and we interviewed the Gambolan fellas.  I'll tell you what, sir, 1st Platoon took it in the shorts but good, but they didn't let any of those Gambolan bastards get through their position.  So far, we've got 2 knocked out BTRs, one that looks like it was abandoned, a knocked out truck, and about 18 dead Gambolans.  But you gotta see this guy, Sir".  Brittle led Kurts over to one of the Gambolan dead.  His dress uniform was singed and bloody, and he had 2 bullet holes in his chest, but he was recognizable to Brittle and Kurts.  "Holy shit!" exclaimed Kurts.  "That's The Colonel.  We got The f***in' Colonel!  We need to get that up to Regimental S2 ASAP."  More from Brittle; "And I'm putting Chisolm in for a Silver Star, Sir.  I don't think he went go down none too easy..."

And with that little teaser, y'all will have to wait a little longer for the actual AAR (a report drawn up from the information obtained from LT Gridley, SFC Chisolm, and the 2 Gambolan farmers).  I should get to that Sunday...   
« Last Edit: June 17, 2023, 03:20:31 AM by CapnJim »

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Looking forward to the battle report...

Mike Demana

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
As always Cptn Jiml lots of interesting things going on in the background to your games.
This sounds like a hum dinger of a fight and I'm looking forward to reading it.

The scenery looks pretty damn good, up to your usual standards. In the first picture, can you remember who makes the building on the left hand side. The one with the thick but very irregular walls?

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
Looking forward to the battle report...

Mike Demana

Thanks, Mike.  Please see below...

As always Cptn Jiml lots of interesting things going on in the background to your games.
This sounds like a hum dinger of a fight and I'm looking forward to reading it.

The scenery looks pretty damn good, up to your usual standards. In the first picture, can you remember who makes the building on the left hand side. The one with the thick but very irregular walls?

Thanks, Vagabond.  The AAR is below, replete with pics below it....;D :D

As for that building, it's an older Crescent Root Studio building.  Sadly, it's OOP. 

And now, on with the show....again, this was a 28mm fight, and we used the Fistful of Lead: Bigger Battles rules.

To:  Commander, 1/75 Inf Rgt (Ranger)

Subject:  After Action Report:  Action of 23 February 1993, Bangerizi, Northern Gambola.

On 23 Feb 93, A Co, 1/75 Inf Rgt received the mission of defending 2 bridges over the River DoHali at the western edge of Bangerizi, in the People's Republic of Northern Gambola (PRoNG).  The purpose of the mission was to delay or halt the advance of PRoNG forces as they attempted to advance toward the airport in Bangerizi where Foreign Nation armed forces, including those of the United states, were evacuating their nationals from the country.  I tasked 1st Platoon with defending the Highway 17 bridge and 2nd platoon with defending the National Road bridge.  I held 3rd Platoon as the company reserve.  I will provide the AAR for 2nd Platoon under separate cover.  This AAR focuses on the actions of 1st Platoon. 

Given the circumstances and aftermath of 1st Platoon's actions, this AAR is based on statements made by 1st Platoon Leader 1LT Homer Gridley (WIA), 1st Platoon Sergeant SFC Bucyrus Chisolm (WIA), and 2 Gambolan nationals who witnessed the action. 

1LT Gridley set up his prepared defense per the previously-provided diagram.  At 1148 hrs, a company-sized element of Gambolan military forces advanced toward the Highway 17 bridge from the west, over a low rise just west of the River Dohali.  The Gambolan Force's attack was led by a Motor Rifle Platoon mounted in BTR80s, who advanced across the Highway 17 bridge.  1st Platoon's anti-armor teams engaged the lead BTRs without effect as they crossed the bridge.  Gambolan armored cars and Gambolan United Militia (GUM) members provided covering fire for the Motor Rifle Platoon as it advanced across the bridge.  This force, as it it is now known, was led by Colonel Sigmund Kongabo, known as "The Colonel" (the Queen of Spades in the "Wanted" Deck of cards).

As the BTRs advanced into the western edge of Bangerizi along Highway 17, with their infantry mounted in them, 1st Platoon elements opened fire from their prepared positions.  The anti-armor teams destroyed the trail BTR on the bridge, while small arms fire and M203 grenades forced the crew of a 2nd BTR to abandon it in Bangerizi proper.  However, 1st platoon began to take casualties from the supporting fire originating from across the river.

Elements from 1st Platoon then destroyed the 3rd BTR as it attempted to pass the abandoned BTR, with well-placed grenades from 1st Squad's M203.  The Colonel followed his Motor Rifle Platoon across the bridge, and 1st Platoon's sniper team took the Colonel under fire, killing him, his driver, and an attached RPG team, and destroying his truck after the sniper team re-deployed to a secondary firing position.  Concurrent with this, the Gambolan armored cars and militia advanced across the Highway 17 bridge into Bangerizi.

However, with Highway 17 effectively blocked, the Gambolan force commander KIA, and with several 1st Platoon casualties, 1LT Gridley order the remnants of his platoon to redeploy rearward to 1st Platoon's Rally Point.  He also called for the assistance of the Company reserves, which I immediately ordered forward to 1st Platoon's positions.  However, no members of 1st platoon made it to the Rally Point, as they were pursued by dismounted Gambolan infantry and made casualties.  One notable incident during the pursuit was the wounding of SFC Chisolm.  While attempting to evacuate the building he was in, SFC Chisolm was attacked multiple times by both Gambolan regulars and militia, single-handedly withstanding 2 separate close-quarters assaults before being seriously wounded in a third.  SFC was the last Ranger of 1st Platoon to begin evacuating his position, and the last to become a casualty.   

3rd Platoon arrived just after the firing had subsided somewhat, and interrupted Gambolan forces from executing wounded Rangers.  3rd platoon drove off the remnants of the Gambolan forces, and secured 1st Platoon's positions.  However, 18 out of 1st Platoon's 23 Rangers were KIA, and the other 5 (including 1LT Gridley and SFC Chisolm) were WIA.  Confirmed Gambolan losses include 17 Gambolan regulars, the Colonel, 3 BTR80s, and a light truck.  While every Ranger in 1st Platoon became a casualty, they succeeded in halting the advance of Gambolan forces across the Highway 17 bridge.

I plan to recommend SFC for a Silver Star for his actions here, and I will do so under separate cover.

John R. Brittle
CPT, Commander

And there we have it.  The Rangers narrowly won a very costly fight preventing any Gambolan forces from getting through their positions, but while taking 100% casualties.

As all 23 Rangers were Out of Action, I rolled a d10 for each of them. On a 10, they were "only" WIA.  Otherwise they were KIA.  A it turned out, the 1LT, the SFC, 2 squad-members, and an anti-armor team member were WIA.

I think if I run this scenario again, I will keep the Rangers at d10s, but give them a trait or 2.  I may also give them on-call mortars.  And I may downgrade the Gambolan regulars to d8s.  I'll discuss this with the lads, and if we decide to do it again, I'll post new scenario sheets and troop lists.   

As previously mentioned, pics of the action are below...