Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 10:48:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690846
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Alternative bodies compatible with War of the Roses Perry Miniatures (new set)  (Read 62197 times)

Offline Hupp n at em

• Mastermind
Ah man, a few sets of these would surely extend the mileage of my medieval plastic mountain even further.  lol  Results so far are absolutely excellent, great sculpting!  :-*

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
I started 3 full minis in fancy Romanesque armours, they are still in the ''naked stage'' as I call it. Usually I making the broad strokes of a naked body and then ''dress it up''. Thats my way of remaining consistent and avoiding anatomical accidents  lol

Here are 2 pics of the 7 bodies so far

I will add one in hauberk and I like the idea of some bringandine combo. The only issue are those bloody rivets lol

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
They look great all together!

If you're still thinking about doing more and open to having random suggestions thrown at you, I'd love to see....

- A fully armoured man-at-arms in a tabard, in a walking pose. So armoured legs with covered torso (a tabard as opposed to a coat or jacket). The two like this in the Perry plastic sets are both in stationary poses, I want one advancing!
- A pose suitable for a well-equipped archer. Some combination of brigandine, mail, or jack, with perhaps plackart or livery jacket over the top, with EITHER armoured legs or riding boots, in a suitably realistic shooting posture.

You really should check out the latest book in Tobias Capwell's series which Simon linked earlier. I've just finished reading it, and it's been really eye-opening. Made me understand different forms of European armour more than just the classic 'Milanese' and 'Gothic' styles we all know. It covers European armour in England, particularly Italianate and Western European forms (he makes the point that there is no real evidence of German styled armour in England during this period). These can be roughly categorised as:
- Italian 'heavy cavalry' armour (the familiar Milanese style optimised for mounted combat).
- Italian export armour (more 'budget' armour, roughly Italian in appearance but adapted for Western European and English tastes, so better suited for foot combat and a little bit more fluting).
- The 'Western European Fluted Style' (quite unique and ornate, could be confused with either English or German, but seems to have been more of a French or Burgundian style).
- Flemish (Italian in appearance with smooth clean surfaces, but with differences, notably one-piece breastplates).
Point is, if you take a look in that book, you'll get plenty of inspiration should you want to try out some more fully-armoured figures in the future ; )

Offline GulKelan

• Librarian
You really should check out the latest book in Tobias Capwell's series which Simon linked earlier. I've just finished reading it, and it's been really eye-opening. Made me understand different forms of European armour more than just the classic 'Milanese' and 'Gothic' styles we all know. It covers European armour in England, particularly Italianate and Western European forms (he makes the point that there is no real evidence of German styled armour in England during this period). These can be roughly categorised as:
- Italian 'heavy cavalry' armour (the familiar Milanese style optimised for mounted combat).
- Italian export armour (more 'budget' armour, roughly Italian in appearance but adapted for Western European and English tastes, so better suited for foot combat and a little bit more fluting).
- The 'Western European Fluted Style' (quite unique and ornate, could be confused with either English or German, but seems to have been more of a French or Burgundian style).
- Flemish (Italian in appearance with smooth clean surfaces, but with differences, notably one-piece breastplates).
Point is, if you take a look in that book, you'll get plenty of inspiration should you want to try out some more fully-armoured figures in the future ; )

i can only agree. all 3 books but particully the last of them are phenomenal. all the details and "little" things you learn is great value for sculpting.
it also gives a impression on how these people were thinking about armorstyles.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
All 7 look great. looking forward to seeing the Roman Romanesque figs as well.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
They look fabulous. Looking forward to getting some Perry heads and arms on them in the future!
Have you decided on how you’re going to produce them? :)

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
Beautiful sculpts!

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Fantastic! I'd love to get my hands on these!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline David H

• Scientist
Great idea, and fantastic sculpts!
I'll add my name to the list of people who would like to get their hands on them.  :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Any new updates?  ;)

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
Any new updates?  ;)

Have a look at his instagram, looks like he put up a new one today....

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Thanks  :D

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
2 more bodies and the 10th and last for this set is coming soon

This is inspired by the French Scots Guard

And a plain hauberk wearing poor guy, hoping for some upgrade from the spoils

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
Hurrah, more bodies! The one with plate armour and livery coat looks particularly useful.

Do you think you will sell these without the arms and heads first, or wait until they are done as well before releasing them?

Offline magyar

• Bookworm
What a treat! They all look fantastic, I especially like the hauberk lad.