Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:23:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690647
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lead Painters' League Season 5 Rules  (Read 71676 times)

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Lead Painters' League Season 5 Rules
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2011, 02:37:27 PM »
... yerrsss

African Samurai are going to be a stretch though James  ;)

Shit!  :(
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2011, 05:14:28 PM »

Would a unit of Union ACW African-American count for round 5?

… I’m just kidding ;)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2011, 06:31:04 PM »
Would a unit of Union ACW African-American count for round 5?

Good point  ;)

I will be researching about the Japanese in Africa you know  ;D

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2011, 07:00:09 PM »

Yes, if you want bonus points for a newly painted (i.e. previously unpublished) team, that team - or members of it - should not have previously been shown in a painted state on LAF or elsewhere. If you have previously shown the figures concerned as WIP conversions (up to undercoated stage), that's fine. As long as you haven't shown the painted figures before, they will qualify as a newly painted team.

I'm sorry to need clarification on what seems like it should be an obvious point.

I have published a photo of some partly-painted figures. However, they're not finished. If I finish them can I count them as a newly painted team? Or does the fact that I've painted them at all beyond the undecoat count as 'painted'?

The reason I ask is that 'WIP' figures can't be counted as entries, so I have to alter them to submit them (they're not highlighted or based for instance). So the photos I have of them (already published) wouldn't be admissable for the competition. That kind of implies that they shouldn't be able to preclude me from the competition either... but I'm not really clear on that.

The subsidiary point about them being both unarmed and 'extras' is something I should probably just keep quiet about. Honestly, I intend them to stand in the background and not be a team of investigators at all...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 07:08:47 PM by Red Orc »

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 07:14:02 PM »
I'm sorry to need clarification on what seems like it should be an obvious point.

I have published a photo of some partly-painted figures. However, they're not finished. If I finish them can I count them as a newly painted team? Or does the fact that I've painted them at all beyond the undecoat count as 'painted'?

That kind of implies that they shouldn't be able to preclude me from the competition either... but I'm not really clear on that.

It doesn't preclude you from the competion, it only means you don't get the bonus points. You still get the point for win/loose/draw and the vote points.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 07:41:29 PM »
Correctimundo.

You can quite happily enter teams which have been published / shown online before - but they won't be eligible for 'newly painted' bonus points.

Maybe it would help to explain a bit more about the idea behind this?

The LPL is partly about encouraging people to paint more figures, or figures they might otherwise not have bothered painting.
So there's an incentive for bringing newly painted stuff to the table in each round.
That's what we'd like. But it's not mandatory. In short:
Newly painted teams = bonus points
Old stuff = no bonus points
Not sure I want to worry about what exactly constitutes 'newly painted' and different degrees of 'previously shown'. We could end up with rules about rules about rules. The sentiment, I'd hope, is clear enough, so I'd encourage participants to go with that  :)

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2011, 07:43:43 PM »
Thanks Mac, and thanks too Captain Blood.

It really doesn't help if I'm unclear when I'm seeking clarification does it? The perils of brain working faster than hands...

I meant preclude me entering them as a new team, not precluding me entering them at all. But then I noticed this anyway...

In round one, bonus points will NOT be earned for entering a new team in the league because everyone is entering a new team into the start of the League - even if some of those teams were not 'newly painted'.

As it's my civilians (ie round 1) that I'm talking about I guess it doesn't matter so much! This might actually spur me on to finishing them...
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 07:46:48 PM by Red Orc »

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2011, 08:00:14 PM »
I'm going to try to make it in tis time round! May even get a few bonus points along the way!

Not that I'll win, but what the hell! :D

Offline warhammergrimace

• Bookworm
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2011, 08:24:27 PM »
I'm up for it this year, having missed last years. I like the opening round Civillians. I think I have some knocking around somewhere.

Offline mattspooner

• Assistant
    • Too Much Unpainted Lead
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2011, 09:51:08 PM »
I'm up for this. Am i being thick but other than the 3 specified rounds, are we free to paint whatever we want for the rest?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2011, 11:56:13 PM »
I'm up for this. Am i being thick but other than the 3 specified rounds, are we free to paint whatever we want for the rest?

Yup. And you can paint any team you like to any theme you like in any of the rounds, but obviously would miss out on the extra points up for grabs in the bonus rounds, if you choose not to go with the bonus round theme  :)

Offline Connectamabob

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2011, 01:36:13 AM »
Are there eligibility rules regarding stock commercial figures versus mods or original sculpts?

I ask because although it's clear (IMO) that one wouldn't get points or anything like that for mods or original sculpts (this being a painting contest), I would like to know if they're eligible, in the event that one might need to do such work to round out a team.
History viewed from the inside is always a dark, digestive mess, far different from the easily recognizable cow viewed from afar by historians.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2011, 07:49:46 AM »
Any figures you like, bought, converted or made.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2011, 09:30:04 AM »
Also, from my personal experience, well-executed and unusual entries tend to to get more votes than "run-of-the-mill" ones. So, a clever conversion or sculpt may just be the thing that tips a hung decision for some voters.

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
    • My Minotaur army is only getting larger
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2011, 03:24:11 PM »
Been fancying having ago at this to encourage the brush use!

One question, if we have models that have been shown of the LAF fully painted, but we would like to strip them and paint team a fresh is that allowed?
Saving the last bullet... just in case.

See my wonderful BLOG of stuff!