Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:57:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690458
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 634
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Lead Painters' League Season 5 Rules  (Read 71662 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Lead Painters' League Season 5 Rules
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2011, 05:35:32 PM »
One question, if we have models that have been shown of the LAF fully painted, but we would like to strip them and paint team a fresh is that allowed?

Yes, it's allowed.

Don't forget though, you can enter 'old' (i.e. previously shown) teams of figures. They just won't get bonus points as 'newly painted' entries.

Offline mattspooner

• Assistant
    • Too Much Unpainted Lead
« Reply #46 on: February 03, 2011, 06:19:35 PM »
Is it sad that I already have my Round 10 idea sorted!!? lol

Offline alone_withmyaxe

• Scientist
  • Cthulhu Hunter
    • My Minotaur army is only getting larger
« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2011, 07:17:07 PM »
Yes, it's allowed.

Don't forget though, you can enter 'old' (i.e. previously shown) teams of figures. They just won't get bonus points as 'newly painted' entries.

Ahh, so if it is stripped and repainted it can get bonus points as a newly painted entry?

I am only asking stupid questions as my painting feels like it has got better, now I am trying some new things, and some of the stuff that would fit in to the Africa round could do with some fresh paint!
Saving the last bullet... just in case.

See my wonderful BLOG of stuff!

Offline Donogh

• Librarian
    • Land War in Asia
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »
I'm very tempted - but am afraid that with my current busy-ness (new baby!) I wouldn't be able to keep up with the weekly deadlines...
What would happen if a deadline is missed?
My Wargaming Blog:  Land War in Asia

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2011, 09:12:31 AM »
I'm very tempted - but am afraid that with my current busy-ness (new baby!) I wouldn't be able to keep up with the weekly deadlines...
What would happen if a deadline is missed?

You only need to make sure you get the entry for round 1 in. Then you can forfeit the new entry bonus for the successive rounds at your own pleasure.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2011, 09:16:05 AM »
If you take no action yourself, your entry from the previous week rolls over and competes again. I believe if you have nothing new you may pick any of your previous ones to compete, though. I don't think it has to be the last one.

Nothing is lost except you won't get the bonus points for a new entry, and if I'm honest, I think repeat entries do tend to suffer a little in the voting.

Edit: Hammers beat me to it!  :)
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2011, 09:39:52 AM »
Nothing is lost except you won't get the bonus points for a new entry, and if I'm honest, I think repeat entries do tend to suffer a little in the voting.

I did beat you to it but I think that if getting good scores is important to you (as in the person it concerns) the above aspect needs to be stressed.

I have in the past gotten a fair amount of points for a repeat entry over a few weeks but experience tells us that it won't put one in the top ranks in the long run.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 09:45:58 AM by Hammers »

Offline Donogh

• Librarian
    • Land War in Asia
« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2011, 09:41:10 AM »
Thanks guys - to be honest, with my painting I won't be getting into the top ranks anyway!

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #53 on: February 04, 2011, 09:46:30 AM »
Thanks guys - to be honest, with my painting I won't be getting into the top ranks anyway!

Nonsense! You are much too modest! :)

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #54 on: February 04, 2011, 02:07:24 PM »
Another couple of quick questions if that's ok

- previously shown work

Does it count as being previously shown if it's only appeared on a blog that nobody reads  :'(

I suspect the answer is yes, but if I enter I'm going to need all the bonus points I can get  :D

- film scenes

If it was on TV before becoming a film, but they redesigned some of the characters for the film (not an improvement, but that's a different thread), are we allowed to submit the original characters, or must they be the film ones?

Thanks

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #55 on: February 04, 2011, 02:10:57 PM »
Another couple of quick questions if that's ok

- previously shown work

Does it count as being previously shown if it's only appeared on a blog that nobody reads  :'(

I suspect the answer is yes, but if I enter I'm going to need all the bonus points I can get  :D

- film scenes

If it was on TV before becoming a film, but they redesigned some of the characters for the film (not an improvement, but that's a different thread), are we allowed to submit the original characters, or must they be the film ones?

Thanks

I am 99% sure Cptn Blood will tell you that "yes, it counts". Remember that the original purpose of the LPL was to shrink your backlog. (also known as the lead pile).

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #56 on: February 04, 2011, 02:26:06 PM »
@Hammers - that's what I suspect.

I have to admit though, that the notion of the lead pile "shrinking" just seems wrong to me. That would imply that I paint more than I buy - and where would the fun be in that  lol

edit : Couldn't find this when I first looked http://www.larryleadhead.org/bonus_car1.html, but it warns of the danger of shrinking the lead pile - perhaps the contest should carry a health warning  :)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:29:05 PM by zemjw »

Offline Arcturus

• Scientist
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2011, 10:10:03 AM »
I have one question regarding previously shown stuff.
If i take a picture of, let's say 10 Miniatures, 5 of which have beenn shown before. Would this still count as a new entry? Because i could have just left the previously shown out and it would definitely be a new entry.

That's especially interesting for my planned movie entry.

Thanks for an answer.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2011, 10:50:08 AM »
Thank you for the questions  :)

Most of the questions so far, here and by PM, seem to have been about the 'new team' bonus points and the 'Movie round'.

So let me put it as simply as I can.

1. If you include any figures in a 'newly painted' team, which have been previously shown anywhere, ever, in print or online, then that team is not, by definition, newly painted for the LPL, and so will not qualify for bonus points.

2. A movie is a feature film which has normally had a cinematic release, although occasionally they do go straight to DVD. If your round 10 entry is portraying characters or a scene from a movie, whether or not that movie was based on a TV series, then it will qualify for theme bonus points. Feature length TV episodes are not movies. It has to be a movie that most people would have seen / heard of, not something totally obscure.

I hope that clears those points up  :)

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2011, 12:49:31 PM »
Well I think I'm in to take another thumping. Got most rounds already planned. Just need to figure out what I am going to do for round 10.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +104