Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:49:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Lead Painters' League Season 5 Rules  (Read 71756 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: Lead Painters' League Season 5 Rules
« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2011, 03:11:00 PM »
Andy, I'll take down the current matches just before loading the round 2 matches.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2011, 03:22:35 PM »
Capt,

Can you give us an idea how the match ups are picked?  is it a random number generator type of thing?

Also...if we can't get a new team done in time for the next round can we supply new pictures of the old team?

thanks!

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Pil

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • One shot at glory
« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2011, 04:04:10 PM »
Capt,

Can you give us an idea how the match ups are picked?  is it a random number generator type of thing?

Also...if we can't get a new team done in time for the next round can we supply new pictures of the old team?

thanks!

Blue

1) everyone is matched up at random but the captain makes sure no one is matched up against the same person more than once. I believe all the random matchups are manual labour, and making sure there are no duplicate matchups is even more manual labour so I think we must all say a big thank you to the captain for his efforts! And to Ray of course for his incredible efforts of manual score-keeping.

2) of course, it's not a new team so won't earn you newly painted bonus points but a fresh picture may win you some more votes than an old picture.

I'm not the captain but I think the rules are quite clear on both accounts 8)
Let me hear the battle cry
Calling on the wind
Let me see the banners fly
Before the storm begins

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2011, 05:40:19 PM »
Pil,

thanks for the info...I had been considering using my first team again with better pictures (the Round 1 pics were taken in quite a rush!) but in the spirit of getting as much painting done as possible...and sharing it with ya'll...I have opted not to do this and have just sent in my round 2 entry....now I just have to wait until Sunday....why is it so far away!  o_o

Cheers,

Blue

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2011, 07:06:34 PM »

Yes. I have all your names on pieces of paper and I pick them out of a cardboard box. Quite sophisticated huh?  ;)

The Prof uses a clever spreadsheet with algorithms and all sorts when he does it, but that's too clever for me, I prefer old technology.

So yes, the draw is random, although there is an element of manual moderation - if one of the blindingly brilliant top-end painters draws one of the really rudimentary paintjobs, then I will redraw it because it's in no-one's interest (and not very entertaining) to get a 400-0 walloping. But I do this as little as possible. I adjusted 2 draws this way in Round 1.

However, in the later stages, there will be more manual intervention in the draw, since we need to make sure that the top contenders get to play each other in the later rounds. Again, this makes it more of a real challenge for all concerned, and more entertaining for the voters.

I'm afraid you'll just have to trust me that any such interventions are made completely neutrally. I have no vested interest and don't care who wins or loses. I just want a good entertaining league  :)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2011, 07:32:48 PM »
Yes. I have all your names on pieces of paper and I pick them out of a cardboard box. Quite sophisticated huh?  ;)

The Prof uses a clever spreadsheet with algorithms and all sorts when he does it, but that's too clever for me, I prefer old technology.

So yes, the draw is random, although there is an element of manual moderation - if one of the blindingly brilliant top-end painters draws one of the really rudimentary paintjobs, then I will redraw it because it's in no-one's interest (and not very entertaining) to get a 400-0 walloping. But I do this as little as possible. I adjusted 2 draws this way in Round 1.

However, in the later stages, there will be more manual intervention in the draw, since we need to make sure that the top contenders get to play each other in the later rounds. Again, this makes it more of a real challenge for all concerned, and more entertaining for the voters.

I'm afraid you'll just have to trust me that any such interventions are made completely neutrally. I have no vested interest and don't care who wins or loses. I just want a good entertaining league  :)

So there is a chance that we will be matched with the same contender more than once?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2011, 08:06:52 PM »
No, you'll never be matched against the same contender more than once.

Offline Bobbo

• Librarian
« Reply #172 on: March 22, 2011, 03:15:30 PM »
Round 10, grand finale bonus theme: Scenes (or teams) from famous movies!

Now this is slightly tricky because one person’s definition of a famous movie may not be the same as the next person’s.
So to be clear, by ‘a famous movie’, we mean a movie which a majority of LAFers would have seen, heard of, or come across. You’re just going to have to play by the spirit of the rules on this one.
If you submit a team and claim it represents a well-known scene or group from a movie which neither The Prof or I have heard of, then you won’t get the bonus points. The Moderators’ decision is final.
I’m sure everyone understands what is intended by this theme, so please try to paint an entry which lives up to the theme, rather than trying to find ways around it!

Paint a team of five or more miniatures representing a recognisable scene or group from a famous movie, and gain 10 bonus points.
Paint a team of five or more miniatures representing a recognisable scene or group from a famous movie, and include a second team of five or more miniatures portraying their opponents, and gain 20 bonus points.
Paint a team of five or more miniatures representing a recognisable scene or group from a famous movie, include a second team portraying their opponents, and include a vehicle, large animal, creature, or piece of scenery specific to that movie*, and gain 30 bonus points.

* Note this is an exception to the usual rule that terrain cannot count as part of an entry, only serve as a backdrop. For the purposes of bonus points in round 10, a recognisable piece of scenery specific to the movie concerned will qualify for the extra bonus points.

Ok, quick question about the ‘piece of scenery specific to that movie’.  If my scene was the swordfight scene from The Princess Bride (which it isn’t and doesn’t meet the criteria anyways…) could my recognizable piece of scenery be the ground that they are fighting on?  If I had the broken tower that Wesley is almost pushed off and the bar that he does his flip on and the rock with the rope leading over the edge, would that qualify for the bonus points?  Or when you say piece of scenery, do you mean “Here is Luke Skywalker and his Aunt and Uncle on Tatooine and here is their moisture vaporator.”

It’s not my intention to shoe-horn something in or try to weasel my way into bonus points or anything, but want to understand the criteria.  The scene that I’ve chosen unfortunately doesn’t have any vehicles or large creatures or anything, but when I’m done hopefully it will be recognizable as the scene from the movie. 

Thanks!

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #173 on: March 22, 2011, 03:21:27 PM »
My question about the bonus rounds is this...are we still limited to one 800x800 pixel picture?  or one for each group of figures?

Just want to make sure I'm doing this right!

Thanks

Blue

Offline D@rth J@ymZ

• Runner-Up of the LPL
  • Mastermind
  • CotBG #5
« Reply #174 on: March 22, 2011, 09:36:05 PM »
My question about the bonus rounds is this...are we still limited to one 800x800 pixel picture?  or one for each group of figures?

Thanks

Blue

You could do a composite shot but the main photo has to contain all of your elements (5 good guys, 5 opponents and scenery/vehicle).  You could insert close-ups of the individual groups into the main photo.  Check the archives (especially in round 10's of old...) for some good examples.
Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb...
- Dark Helmet

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #175 on: March 22, 2011, 10:14:36 PM »
Ok, quick question about the ‘piece of scenery specific to that movie’.  If my scene was the swordfight scene from The Princess Bride (which it isn’t and doesn’t meet the criteria anyways…) could my recognizable piece of scenery be the ground that they are fighting on?  If I had the broken tower that Wesley is almost pushed off and the bar that he does his flip on and the rock with the rope leading over the edge, would that qualify for the bonus points?  Or when you say piece of scenery, do you mean “Here is Luke Skywalker and his Aunt and Uncle on Tatooine and here is their moisture vaporator.”

I mean something obviously, specifically recognisable to the movie in question. Like the mealie bag redoubt in 'Zulu', the Trojan Horse in 'Troy', or the ramp of Helm's Deep in 'The Two Towers'. Kind of iconic settings associated with the movie in question. Generic scenery won't count to bonus points.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #176 on: March 22, 2011, 10:18:15 PM »

Thanks

Blue

One 800 x 800 pixel picture.
As D@rth says, it can be a composite, providing your team is shown in a group shot somehwere prominently within the picture.

Offline Bobbo

• Librarian
« Reply #177 on: March 22, 2011, 11:53:15 PM »
I mean something obviously, specifically recognisable to the movie in question. Like the mealie bag redoubt in 'Zulu', the Trojan Horse in 'Troy', or the ramp of Helm's Deep in 'The Two Towers'. Kind of iconic settings associated with the movie in question. Generic scenery won't count to bonus points.

Ok, excellent.  Thanks for clarifying.

Offline ugsome

• Librarian
« Reply #178 on: April 10, 2011, 05:32:33 PM »
One 800 x 800 pixel picture.
As D@rth says, it can be a composite, providing your team is shown in a group shot somehwere prominently within the picture.

I assume that you can have one team in each part of the picture as a number of people have done so,
but I thought that you were supposed to have both team in the same picture/scene.
So considering the number of split pictures with a team in each part then I suppose that I can
do that in the last round also. It is much easier to take pictures that way.

Offline Tomsche

• Mastermind
  • Crescat Scientia, Vita Excolatur
    • Società di archeologia e cimeli
« Reply #179 on: April 10, 2011, 06:00:13 PM »
but I thought that you were supposed to have both team in the same picture/scene.

Yups, made the same assumption / mistake.  Not that it would matter for me personally  lol