Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:48:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Heroscape scenery anyone ?  (Read 10205 times)

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
Heroscape scenery anyone ?
« on: May 22, 2012, 07:04:59 PM »
Hi,

Last year I bought a big bunch of Heroscape boxes (4 valkirie sets ), only for the hex scenery, to play Battletech :

Once you remove the figures (I've got plenty of spare figures, dices, and stuff like that. Some figures could be nice bases for custom projects, I guess...Especially some nice mounted orc and dragon), the 4 sets can be placed in 3 of the original boxes :

Here's some examples of "blank" tables. No really scenery, but a good way to see the potential of 3d  tables :

But I now think it could be also a good terrain base for any kind or miniatures gaming (you can also easily replace the rulers, 1 inch = 1 hex, for example), since I saw (on heroscape forum) really nice 3d wargaming tables.

Any other people here interested in heroscape scenery, to share ideas, tips and photos ?

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Re: Heroscape scenery anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2012, 07:24:21 PM »
I've bought 5 boxes for the same reason - for the hexes. But I usually use them to supplement my own table scenario:

If you have an big enough table (not my case) you can do some pretty impressive hills on there. I only did it once, using the 5 sets and it sure beats using books under the tablecloth...

And using the hexes is a great way to resolve ranges when firing. If you know the sizes of the hexes, you know how many hexes you need to count to get the other guy in range. No need for rulers and such.

PS - do you still have the Marro guys? I'm always lookig for more for this project:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=7872.msg440533#msg440533

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 08:49:25 PM »
I thought about buying a bunch of boxes for BattleTech myself, but then realized I don't play it anyway and the boxes are not too cheap on eBay and prices will only rise the longer they are OOP  :'(

then I thought about making molds and re-caasting the tiles so I can make my own hills and stuff, but somehow this got also shelved because I don't think the puzzle-style connecting mechanism of HeroScape tiles will work when made in plaster.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 02:50:12 PM »
@predator : yes I should have them somewhere. Maybe we can find something to trade together. Let me a few days so I find where the figs are hinding, and I'll send you a PM.

@CHerno : don't go on ebay for such things. In France, I bought each set on "flea market" : on wargame forums and boardgame forums. I bought each valkirie set (the biggest sets of all heroscape range) around 30-40euros each one (including shipping). 2 of the 4 sets were completed (the 2 other ones only included the hexes), and one of them was brand new sealed.

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 03:29:08 PM »
Heroscape was a great game and I was sad to see it cancelled.  It was my introduction to miniature gaming, and I wouldn't be here if not for it.

If you have the desire, you can make the terrain look even nicer with some flocking.

Timing is bad, as it is a bit more expensive now.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 04:21:56 PM »
Yes, some paint and flock seems to be a nice scenery improvement (except the stock trees I don't like) ;)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 04:37:48 PM »
It's weird that no manufacturer has something similar on offer, cheap modular hex terrain would sit really well not only with BattleTech players but also with wargamers that don't want to spent time or money building their own terrain. I hope someone will pick it up and re-release HeroScape or something similar :)

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
The stock heroscape trees are pretty horrendous, but I still used them as they were 'official'.  I did have a fair amount of model train trees that I used before I ever acquired any official trees.

Not sure how true this is, but I think I heard the interlocking mechanism of Heroscape tiles is trademarked, or something along those lines, meaning it can't be copied as such.
Still, I'm surprised there isn't something else out there.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 04:41:13 PM by A_Train »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 05:34:16 PM »
That's why I bought these sets. It 's (was? at least in 2011) quite easy to find on the price range I indicated, here in france. Because no other brand or products range offers the same kind of products as far as I know.

I know some companies sells hex tiles, but without the great "lego-ish" system offered in Heroscape. Most of the time, it's "just" hex tiles for classic 2d terrain mats.

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2012, 03:40:43 AM »
I was sad to see Heroscape killed as well.  My sons and I still play at least twice a month.  They love to build the boards (lego vibe) which makes less work for me.  We have about 300 figures and most of the large sets.  I missed out on a lot of the medium sets though.

Try this website for individual terrain pieces and parts:
http://www.auggiesgamesonline.com/
This is my boomstick!

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2012, 02:04:28 PM »
Well, if the sets start going for high enough prices on ebay, somebody with the wherewithal may start to smell a business opportunity.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2012, 04:38:20 PM »
A single squad (packs come with 2 squads for $12.99 retail) were selling on ebay for $50 before the game was cancelled, yet Hasbro couldn't see money in the game.   I don't think anyone else will at this point either.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2012, 05:23:44 PM »
Hasbro's a big, big company, so I'm sure there was some cold math there. And they may have also simply have decided not to be in that segment of the toy market (minis games). That business decision may look a lot different for a wargames-specific manufacturer, so long as the sets can be sold at a decent profit.

Offline Rocktroll

• Assistant
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2012, 07:00:57 PM »
Heroscape is actualy the game I play, its how I found these boards looking for information to convert Mega Bloks ships for Heroscape.

Few things I wanted to respond too,

The main site for Heroscape players is the fan site, Heroscapers.com you can find all sorts of things there, from custom terrain, custom figures and tons of maps.

If your looking for Master set figures, like the Marro, Vikings, Matrix looking agents, WWII soldiers they are dirt cheap, even more if you dont want the official base. ( I actualy have a ton of spares if any one is looking for any of these units let me know, at the very least I can point you to some one who is selling for dirt cheap)

One of the biggest places we go to find our figures is here;
http://auggiesgamesonline.3dcartstores.com/
Auggie ( Adrew) has great customer support, very friendly and ships international. Local to the US is a flat $3.50 shipping. Its the cheapest place to buy terrain right now.

Best place to score good deals online for heroscape in the US is craigslist, heroscapers.com and boardgamegeeks.com

Prices are starting to drop on rare squads on ebay too. Pricey units like the greeks, Gladiatron robots, Elf archers and dwarves usted to go for $40 each now they are going for around $20. Terrain is going up though. Most expensive terrain is Ice, although Jungle and lava are still kind of pricey. The trees are always hunted down by heroscape players as you can never have enough.

The names of these terrain packs are
Thaelenk Tundra - Ice tiles and glaciers
Volcarren Wasteland - Lava tiles - Toys R US Exclusive
Ticalla Jungle - Jungle trees and bushes
Road to the Forgotten Forest - 5 trees, road tiles and a bridge

There is also a small castle set, goes for pretty cheap,
Fortress of the Archkyrie

A lot of people said the same thing as you guys, that the secondary market is insane for some of this stuff, a $20 Aquilas Alliance monsterpack from 2007 keeps selling on ebay for close to $200 frequently. One of the main reasons most think hasbro dropped heroscape was because they wanted to concentrate on their core games ( thats what they told us ) Like Magic the gathering , plus they felt it was too much plastic for the price ( thats what we assumed)

Also they recently started using the heroscape interlocking tile system ( which they have patented) to display Avengers figures.

A bunch of us have tried to make copies of these tiles but they never seem to fit right, its easier to buy the cheap castle tiles from Auggies and flock or paint those. ( About .33 cents each)

I am sure there is more but I really should get back to work, any questions about heroscape I would be happy to answer as its my favorite game.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2012, 09:24:39 PM »