Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:31:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686615
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 10mm figures what are the pros and cons?  (Read 7926 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: 10mm figures what are the pros and cons?
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 06:08:02 PM »
At Crisis in Antwerp i saw the new Romans from Van Dyck-
http://vandyckmodelsandfigurines.be/index.php/furniture/living-room/roman-army-imperial-era.html
These are easily the best 10/12mm miniatures i have ever seen. He had them under a microscope and they were still perfect.

Well, that's more than stunning, indeed.

Offline blacksmith

• Mad Scientist
    • Javier at war
« Reply #16 on: December 02, 2012, 12:43:08 PM »
I'm a huge fan of 10mm. Pros as already said are price, space and painting time but there's another one: terrain scale fits better than with 28mm. I mean that a hill or a forest in 10mm look much like a hill or a forest than in 28mm IMHO.
Someone said Mordheim in 10mm. Here you can see mine:

And my 10mm gallery: http://javieratwar.blogspot.com.es/search/label/Gallery.%2010%20mm.

Offline smokezombie

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 04:10:35 PM »
Lol. I think we spoke breifly over on Toms boring Mordheim forum Blacksmith. Lovely table.
"The sword sung on the barren heath,
The sickle in the fruitful field;
The sword he sung a song of death,
But could not make the sickle yield."
William Blake

Offline Legion1963

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 07:25:53 AM »
Would like to get people's view on 10mm figure, likes and dislikes hopefully there will be a lot more likes. so just a few words on your thoughts

Regards
Not for me. Just to small. And i do not like the look of them when painted. But that's just me talking. The big advantage however, is that you do not need a lot of space for say a battlefield, town or ocean. If and when i'll start my future/apo/scifi thingy i just might consider Khurusan 15 mm.

Offline Conan

• Schoolboy
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 12:09:04 PM »
I like to play mass Battles in 6 and 10mm,
and Skirmish Games in 15 & 20mm.

For modern Mass Battles like BKC & CWC I prefer 6mm, for Ancient and Black Powder Games the 10 mm Miniatures from Pendraken or Magister Militum.

For 15mm Skirmishes Peter Pig and others, for 20mm Elhiem.

What speaks for 10mm is, that they have still good Details, easy and fast to Paint, they are Cheap, easy to store and look fantastic on the Table.

Some People also use them for skirmish, but I never tried that.

Cheers,

Peter

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 11:24:09 PM »
I find them much bigger than my 1/600th scale figures.   :D

I am the kind of guy who used 1/300th figures for skirmish though...   o_o

The pros and cons have been pretty much addressed by previous posters.   8)

I originally decided against the scale when there were much larger selections for 6 mm figures (tells you how long ago that was...) than for 10 mm and I had grandiose dreams for covering ancients through SF/Fantasy with 6 mm.   ::)

That availability should no longer be a factor with the current array of manufacturers.   :)

When I switched my aircraft to 1/600th and my ships to 1/6000th I pretty much,  except for legacy skirmish, guaranteed I would stick with one scale (1/600th) as much as possible.

I think you would not go wrong to build all your armies (and terrain) in 10 mm sized figures today.

Gracias,

Glenn

Edit: for tense of a sentence.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2012, 11:28:42 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Online FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 02:30:25 AM »
Back in the mid-nineties I put forth a rather long posting (history dot rec or whatever it was) about the benefits of 10 mm.  In a nutshell, the big selling point for this scale was that it provided the best balance of ground to figure scale and still being able to identify what was being seen across a five or six foot wide table as essentially pointed out by others here.  My lament then was that there just wasn't enough to convert but that, if the situation were different, I'd do all my gaming in that scale.  Alas, I now have far too many 15s to make the switch.  But the argument that was sound then is true today - but with the benefit of considerable choice.

On the terrain front, N-scale buildings and animals can be used to fill some of the gaps that do still exist, albeit at considerable expense relative to the cost of our hobby's products.  (and we complain about prices!?)

I have been hemming and hawing about adding a period in this scale recently, Seven Years War,   Haven't decided yet but just realized that doing so would blend the two "perfect" scales and period: 10 mm which gives the best table feel of a game and the most balanced and colorful and playable period of history (horse and musket at least).  Opinion, only, but that's what I have to say on the period.  (Those Romans are stunning.)

Offline 6milPhil

• Galactic Brain
    • Slug Industries
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »
I like to play mass Battles in 6 and 10mm,
and Skirmish Games in 15 & 20mm.

I agree. I'm doing vietnam in 10mm so I can do things like the helicopter scene from Apocalypse Now. I could do it in 28mm but I'd need to be a lottery winner with longer arms so I might reach across the size of table needed.

If you pick the right scale for the game there are only pro's surely?

Offline The Baggagetrain

• Bookworm
    • the-baggagetrain
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2012, 02:59:36 PM »
here are some of my Late Roman 10mm sculpts:

Regards
Stephen
The Baggagetrain
http://www.the-baggagetrain.com

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2012, 05:16:12 PM »
I'm a recent convert to 10mm, having considered it a few years back but decided against for reasons of fading eyesight. I didn't think I'd do a good enough paint job. Since discovering reading glasses to be effective for my use, I bought two small forces for AVBCW and find 10mm easy and quick to paint, and they have an effective appearance. Really, I wish I'd used it for SYW, and might do yet.

I can speak highly of Pendraken in terms of quality of product and service.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2012, 09:18:11 PM »
Pros:

a) Well at least they aren't 3mm.

b) Space. Footprint on the tabletop is greatly reduced and you could salt a lot of the little buggers away in a cigar box.

Cons:

a) They aren't 28mm. Actually they aren't 6mm either which rather ruins (b) in the Pro section and I'm not sure the trade off of detail re 15mm is worth the space factor or the price factor.

b) Too few people making stuff that I'm interested in. Could I be bothered collecting 15mm and 6mm again there's plenty to choose from. 10mm, not so much.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline The Baggagetrain

• Bookworm
    • the-baggagetrain
« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2012, 08:52:02 AM »
I game in 6mm, 10mm and 28mm, having sold off all my 15mm armies many years ago. I will keep gaming in 6mm for Napoleonic’s and doing my Dark Age skirmishing in 28mm, but the rest I will do in 10mm.

There are more and more 10mm companies coming onto the market and some of the figures are better than some 15mm ranges, to mention but a few.

Tridentebologna, Pendraken, Old Glory, Magister Militum, Kallistra, Adler and Van Dyck models

Some people say that there is not much support or products out there for 10mm, but there is and it is growing. With terrain there is the vast collection of N gage building and scenic’s, a bit more expensive than what wargamers are use too but it’s a very large selection. The figure ranges are getting better and larger all the time.

I plan to add more 10mm terrain and scenic’s to my own ranges and complete my late Romans figures I also plan on doing all the enemies of Rome from about 200AD-500AD this I must admit has been slow.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2012, 11:16:26 AM by The Baggagetrain »

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2012, 09:37:00 AM »
10mm and 6mm are great, have alook on the fantsy boards