Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 10:48:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696775
  • Total Topics: 118790
  • Online Today: 508
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - General Discussion  (Read 77768 times)

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - General Discussion
« Reply #120 on: March 18, 2014, 10:46:06 PM »
seconded!

updated list:

1. Frank
2. Hu Rhu
3. Orctrader
4. Strutter
5. gnomehome
6. Captain Blood
7. GemGames
8. Thargor
9. Steam Flunky
10. Calimero
11. Paracat
12. Hammers
13. Michi
14. Prof.Witchheimer
15. stevedaccs
16. CPT Shanks
17. Broonkah
18. wolfie907
19. Hubbynz
20. ollv
21. XCIV

Fanstastic list of participants - just missing Grimm and Chambers, of course!  ;D

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #121 on: March 19, 2014, 12:57:34 AM »
I still need to paint a third team- I may not make it in this year.
I've been painting a bunch of stuff for Wargames Factory that I'm not allowed to show  :'(
What?! Who do we have email to file a complaint?  You can't buy a better pre-release advertisement than a team in the LPL.  :)
Painted:  2024: 170; 2023: 37; 2022: 56

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #122 on: March 19, 2014, 10:44:03 AM »
Looking forward to your entries! Mine won't be in at all due to the bloody real life thingy that I so often try to avoid :(

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2014, 11:41:15 AM »

Fanstastic list of participants - just missing Grimm and Chambers, of course!  ;D

And, rather importantly, thus far, Admiral Benbow!

(And where is Bugsda??? Does he have a note from his mum???)

;)

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #124 on: March 19, 2014, 12:13:41 PM »
And, rather importantly, thus far, Admiral Benbow!

(And where is Bugsda??? Does he have a note from his mum???)

;)

Agreed.  I was hoping to see the Admiral's teams.  And I need Bugsda to be "in" as, apart from him being a great painter, if I'm the only "sorry, no scenery" chap it will be lonely.   ;)

Offline gnomehome

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2014, 12:31:24 PM »
if I'm the only "sorry, no scenery" chap it will be lonely.   ;)

Well, I'll keep you company then. I won't bother with scenery (with a possbile exception for the last round). Blue gradient background it shall be.
I like my games like my orange juice: pulpy with no added sugar or artificial sweeteners

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #126 on: March 19, 2014, 01:12:52 PM »
if I'm the only "sorry, no scenery" chap it will be lonely.   ;)

I'm trying Malcolm but it's going to be a close run thing, If I don't make it I'll be on the sidelines with the weezy boys and the half time oranges :D
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #127 on: March 19, 2014, 02:24:55 PM »
Agreed.  I was hoping to see the Admiral's teams.  And I need Bugsda to be "in" as, apart from him being a great painter, if I'm the only "sorry, no scenery" chap it will be lonely.   ;)

Not to worry mate...I'll be in the "Gradient Club" too....assuming I can get the shields for team one done tonight!

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #128 on: March 19, 2014, 02:40:01 PM »
Not to worry mate...I'll be in the "Gradient Club" too....assuming I can get the shields for team one done tonight!

Cheers,

Blue

(Looking at your bottom tag line I see myself quoted. That's a good one, I was not aware I could be funny that way. :) )

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #129 on: March 19, 2014, 03:31:49 PM »
If I enter this year I'm doing blue gradient background as well. It's pretty clear that some vocal or influential LAF members want the 'playing field leveled' for whatever reason- as evidenced by the new rules. There's also been some commentary that the LPL is a 'photo contest'. The fact is that anyone showing their figures in a contest online needs to know how to take a crisp clear photo. Anyone that has an tripod, lightbox, etc, and any training at all is at a distinct advantage no matter what sort of scenic backdrop or knowledge of Photoshop one has. No way around that. Some have also said that having terrain is an advantage (I won't argue with that to be honest as think it tipped the scales in my favor more than once) but really the big advantage some people have is time. A great majority of the thematic terrain I used in the past was made during the LPL as I worked on the figures, it wasn't like I had it beforehand.  

It may not seem like it but I don't have much of a competitive streak and I love doing the LPL because it forces me to get stuff done, and I like the self-challenge of knocking out new terrain at the same time. I think the LPL is getting more homogenized and is turning into a genuine 'competition'- but if that's the way it is, then that's the way it is. The only thing I had a problem with in the past is the Photoshopping of bases into the environment, which I think is misdirection and modification/obfuscation of reality.

Next year, when everyone is required to take a blurry photo of their figures on a cluttered kitchen table, with the camera in their phone so that the playing field is truly level, I'll still participate because I love the marathon :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:32:40 PM by Dr Mathias »
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #130 on: March 19, 2014, 04:08:33 PM »
Having tried terrain and nice backdrops this year and had the photo's rejected, I'm now using the plain blue background that came with my light tent.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #131 on: March 19, 2014, 04:30:26 PM »
If I enter this year I'm doing blue gradient background as well. It's pretty clear that some vocal or influential LAF members want the 'playing field leveled' for whatever reason- as evidenced by the new rules. There's also been some commentary that the LPL is a 'photo contest'. The fact is that anyone showing their figures in a contest online needs to know how to take a crisp clear photo. Anyone that has an tripod, lightbox, etc, and any training at all is at a distinct advantage no matter what sort of background or knowledge of Photoshop one has. No way around that. Some have also said that having terrain is an advantage (I won't argue with that to be honest as think it tipped the scales in my favor more than once) but really the big advantage some people have is time. A great majority of the thematic terrain I used in the past was made during the LPL as I worked on the figures, it wasn't like I had it beforehand. 

It may not seem like it but I don't have much of a competitive streak and I love doing the LPL because it forces me to get stuff done, and I like the self-challenge of knocking out new terrain at the same time. I think the LPL is getting more homogenized and is turning into a genuine 'competition'- but if that's the way it is, then that's the way it is.

Next year, when everyone is required to take a blurry photo of their figures on a cluttered kitchen table, with the camera in their phone so that the playing field is truly level, I'll still participate because I love the marathon :)

It is pretty obvious the LPL has favored a combination of creativity, scenery, painting and photo skills. All season winners have been people who knows how to show their miniatures. What does this mean? With the risk of stating the obvious, it is what the voting members like, encourage and want more of. Myself, I am using a piece of shit camera this year and hope fI can do something with the other three. :)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #132 on: March 19, 2014, 04:45:09 PM »
I'd rather see creativity than crisp paint jobs to be honest. Sure, some might argue that it's unfair that some people get more votes just because they decided to spend an extra 50 hours on an entry. Oh wait...

Offline Bobbo

• Librarian
« Reply #133 on: March 19, 2014, 05:14:54 PM »
I'll be joining the blue background crowd as well.  Actually, the new rules do make composing the entries quicker and make it much less likely that I'll misspell some key words again.  I also like only lining up a single shot per entry.

Ok, photos this year will be interesting.  I broke out my nice camera after a photography break and found moisture in my lens, so that's out.  The point and click is taking some horrible pictures so the best option I have thus far is... the cell phone camera.  :? Truth be told it is getting some pretty decent shots.

I'm fine with the new rules as they are.

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #134 on: March 19, 2014, 07:18:20 PM »
Having tried terrain and nice backdrops this year and had the photo's rejected

...what?