Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 08, 2024, 02:28:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696801
  • Total Topics: 118794
  • Online Today: 508
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - General Discussion  (Read 77774 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Re: The Lead Painters League Season 8 - General Discussion
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2014, 07:41:26 PM »
If I enter this year I'm doing blue gradient background as well. It's pretty clear that some vocal or influential LAF members want the 'playing field leveled' for whatever reason- as evidenced by the new rules. There's also been some commentary that the LPL is a 'photo contest'. The fact is that anyone showing their figures in a contest online needs to know how to take a crisp clear photo. Anyone that has an tripod, lightbox, etc, and any training at all is at a distinct advantage no matter what sort of scenic backdrop or knowledge of Photoshop one has. No way around that. Some have also said that having terrain is an advantage (I won't argue with that to be honest as think it tipped the scales in my favor more than once) but really the big advantage some people have is time. A great majority of the thematic terrain I used in the past was made during the LPL as I worked on the figures, it wasn't like I had it beforehand.  

Matt, terrain is not forbidden, feel free to use it in your entries.

Having tried terrain and nice backdrops this year and had the photo's rejected, I'm now using the plain blue background that came with my light tent.

Paul, you know, your entries were rejected because your backdrops were printed images. And I have mentioned in my reply to you that you are allowed to use terrain.

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2014, 08:09:10 PM »
Paul, you know, your entries were rejected because your backdrops were printed images. And I have mentioned in my reply to you that you are allowed to use terrain.

Uh oh, I didn't realize the non-printed images requirement when I read the background section of the rules... Time to pull out the camera again!

Thanks
n

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #137 on: March 19, 2014, 08:17:05 PM »
Uh oh, I didn't realize the non-printed images requirement when I read the background section of the rules...

This is the rule again, pretty clear, I think.

6. Photography Backgrounds

Your photo backdrop may be a single colour, a gradient, or a scenery setting including terrain pieces. Note that the backdrop must be in the photo from the start (i.e. you must photograph the figures in front of it), you may not add it digitally at a later point.

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2014, 08:24:09 PM »
Tonight is photo night for the first four rounds. I have never used printed scenes for backdrop, but was thinking about it for a winter scene (our winter has been so awful this year, I felt compelled). Glad I read that....! In the long run, I probably wouldn't have gotten around to printing out an image, anyway. Now, I have an excuse for my laziness...!  ;D lol

My round 5 entry is prowling around on my desk top now...back, you!  :o Vicious little buggers...they want to be done before the deadline to beat the "5 rounds done before March 21" goal...!

Mike Demana

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2014, 08:43:26 PM »
And, rather importantly, thus far, Admiral Benbow!

Well folks (and you know who you are ...), where have you all been last year when only the bravest stood their ground and competed in LPL7? Lame excuses all over all ...  8)

Now it's my time to settle back and enjoy the products of your hard work!

:D

Offline Neldoreth

• Mastermind
    • An Hour of Wolves and Shattered Shields
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2014, 09:01:52 PM »
This is the rule again, pretty clear, I think.

Thanks for the response Prof., I didn't mean to complain! You are right, it's absolutely clear. But still, I was glad to see that post otherwise I would have entered at the last minute only to find out that my pictures didn't qualify! :)

Thanks again,
n

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2014, 10:04:28 PM »
Well folks (and you know who you are ...), where have you all been last year when only the bravest stood their ground and competed in LPL7? Lame excuses all over all ...

Guilty as charged.   :?  My head hangs in shame... ;)

Offline GemGames

• Bookworm
    • Gem Games & Hobbies
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2014, 11:40:33 PM »
Prof, I confess that I was a bit surprised that painted backdrops would be disallowed as well.  But I respect the rule. I am only mentioning it so that my fellow participants don't spend any time painting a custom backdrop.

Bill

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2014, 12:20:30 AM »
Hmmm, i'm not sure printed and painted backgrounds are equivalent... But I'm sure Prof will weigh in if he feels the need to... :)

Back on my head (at the painting table, at least...)

- pacarat

Offline GemGames

• Bookworm
    • Gem Games & Hobbies
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2014, 01:16:01 AM »
I wouldn't have thought so. But my painted (not printed) backdrop was disallowed. Fair warning, chaps.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2014, 02:32:45 AM »
Well, I'll keep you company then. I won't bother with scenery (with a possbile exception for the last round). Blue gradient background it shall be.

I'm going to be all over the place in staging entries. Of my first three team pics, I have one with none, one with some and one with alot of terrain/scenery...  :?

Perusing the LPL archives i've been very impressed with the creativity and splendor of many of the entries. In many cases it seems that "set design" has taken priority over the figs themselves.

So, I've been going back and forth for a while now, on how or whether to stage my teams.  Alot will depend on genre, what I have on hand, and available time.

I'm also doing both 28mm and 15mm scales - in the smaller scale I'm finding it very difficult to inlude any significant scenery, while still being close enough in to see any detail. In other test shots the scenery seems to detract from the figs...

So, i'm probably hosed either way...  :D

- pacarat

Offline Bobbo

• Librarian
« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2014, 03:45:05 AM »
Just submitted.  I look forward to being a small speed bump in other's paths to greatness!  :D

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2014, 06:48:45 AM »
Hmmm, i'm not sure printed and painted backgrounds are equivalent... But I'm sure Prof will weigh in if he feels the need to... :)

It doesn't matter  printed or painted, according to the rules there is no place for both:

Your photo backdrop may be a single colour, a gradient, or a scenery setting including terrain pieces.

Updated list:

1. Frank
2. Hu Rhu
3. Orctrader
4. Strutter
5. gnomehome
6. Captain Blood
7. GemGames
8. Thargor
9. Steam Flunky
10. Calimero
11. Pacarat
12. Hammers
13. Michi
14. Prof.Witchheimer
15. stevedaccs
16. CPT Shanks
17. Broonkah
18. wolfie907
19. Hubbynz
20. ollv
21. XCIV
22. Darth Jaymz
23. mikedemana
24. Bobbo
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 12:39:38 PM by Prof.Witchheimer »

Offline wolfie907

• Librarian
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2014, 07:15:03 AM »
sorry to beat a dead horse but do I need to retake my entry photos as written it does not say a printed background is against the rules the way I read it was that a scenery setting is one of the options im not complaining and maybe I misunderstood but my round two entry has a magazine picture behind the minis do I need to submit a new one

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2014, 07:52:17 AM »
I did check your entry again. I see only a tree and some plain background. The pic is a bit dark though. The best would be you contact me via email again.