Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:16:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Feudal Host of Scotland  (Read 9926 times)

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
The Feudal Host of Scotland
« on: April 25, 2014, 03:49:47 PM »
And now for something completely different. At least as far as Mediaeval Scottish armies are concerned, anyway…

Been working on this project in fits and starts over the last 18 months or so, in between other projects as my interest in them has periodically waxed and waned. The idea behind it (or rather excuse for doing it) was to represent all the nobility of Scotland through the medium of painting tiny heraldry! As such, the original time period I was going for was the reign of Alexander III, creeping into that of John Balliol and the Battle of Dunbar, so I could have all or most of the nobility present on one side. 

Accordingly, the force will feature a far stronger heavy cavalry element than most Scots Armies normally seen (in DBM terms, 12 bases as opposed to the usual 4…). And it will be that- heavy horse; the nobles of the land were no different from those of any other north-west European nation at the time- they were expected (both legally and socially) to equip themselves for war as befitted their station, meaning a barded warhorse, full armour, shield, sword and lance. The difference between them and those of England primarily lay that-

1) There simply weren’t as many nobles- ergo, less heavy horse. And those that there were, quite often disagreed on which side they should be on, further reducing numbers present at any given time. Granted, Scotland wasn’t quite as prosperous as England, but by no means was it the impoverished, famine stricken hell-hole so beloved by crank historians of a certain bent. If it were, then what would have been the sense in trying to conquer and pay for it? Trading links were maintained with the Continent, with the Hanseatic League being particularly strong partners of the Scots, as well as the Norwegians, French and Poles/ Bohemians ( there was a long established “Scottish Quarter” in Warsaw for hundreds of years…)

2) Scotland’s geography is vastly different to it’s southern neighbour, and internal warfare accordingly so. This had the effect that to a noble from the fertile plains of the central lowlands, owning a fine stable of destriers, rounceys, et al, and the most modern armour he could afford, was of far greater importance that to say, one of the same rank from the Northern Isles, for whom warfare more often took the form of seaborne raids; consequently our Northern lord would be more concerned with keeping a fleet of fine galleys and birlinns, and some much lighter armour, while paying lip service to his requirements- his “conventional” armour may have been older and more outdated in style, and he may not have rode to war very often, but all of the above would be owned and serviceable nevertheless.

3) Scotland, immediately prior to the Wars of Independence, had been remarkably peaceful. Alexander III was a strong and competent king, who by all accounts got on perfectly amicably with his neighbour and brother in law Edward I of England. The last major military operation had been the Battle of Largs in 1263, and that hadn’t exactly been a cataclysmic clash anyway. Correspondingly, there had been no great need for the great and good of the land to spend vast amounts of wealth on the most up to date military apparatus every few years; what you already had was certainly perfectly suitable for chasing bandits, outlaws and the occasional wappinshaw if the King was getting nosey; far better to spend money on that leaky roof, repair the barmikin wall or in divine offering since that strange boil you had really didn’t seem to be getting much better. Likewise, the lack of any great military endeavour understandably allowed the vast majority to let their prowess in such enterprise become “rusty” (although there would have been plenty who would have travelled abroad as paid soldiery, gone on crusade or hit the tourney circuit- a certain Robert de Brus being one of them; he didn’t acquire his reputation as the 2nd best knight in Christendom by sitting on his backside watching spiders…) The nobility of England, by contrast, had been on something of a permanent war footing for some time, between the Barons Wars, Welsh Wars, those of Gascony, etc, and were thus, something of a well-oiled machine by the time they came north to Dunbar…

As such, I’ve all of the top tier of the nobility represented, and a good sprinkling of the lesser lights. Wallace, Murray and Bruce are all there, but not as generals, merely vassals of the King. The major Earls are all equipped with the most modern armour, while those of the more northerly lands and the lesser nobles have older equipment, as per the above reasoning.
Also included is a good smattering of hobilars and lighter cavalry. As much for completeness as anything else, but it will allow me a pretty way of distinguishing between Kn(F) and Kn(I/ O) if playing “formal” DBM…

A far as infantry goes, the obvious usual suspects, the pike/spearmen will be present in droves. I’ll hopefully be representing them in such a way that a progression from the professional soldiers and retainers in the front rank, through the more well off burghers, farmers and what have you in the middle, through to the poorer subtenants, cottars, and “arrant scum” in the rear ranks will be noticeable. Archers will be present. With longbows.  None of that “shortbow” claptrap here; there is absolutely no historical basis for assuming that the Scots used shorter bows than the English and Welsh. Their inferiority lay rather in numbers and tactical employment , rather than equipment. What won’t be present is tartan, facepaint or any sort of raggedy men armed with sticks. Or mooning figures. Just no. Scots infantry (Highlanders/ Islesmen being the probable exception) weren’t any equipped different to those in any other Northern European nation, same as their social betters…

Although I hadn’t planned it initially, a bit of “forward stretch” has inevitably crept in, and I’ll do alternative command bases to represent later Commanders such as Bruce, Wallace, Murray, Douglas, Randolph, etc, as well as some Highlanders and Islesmen for a bit of something different here and there. And since no one really knows much about what they looked like at this time, a lot of educated guesswork will feature here…

Anyway, enough with the history lesson and on with the toys! All are Essex 15s.

The Community of the Realm
The first bases to be done were some of the great and good of the land, here in all their glory (from left to right) John de Strathbogie, Earl of Atholl; Uilleam II, Earl of Ross; Maol Iosa III, Earl of Strathearn; Domhnall I, Earl of Mar; John Comyn, Earl of Buchan; John II “The Black” Comyn, Lord of Badenoch.

]

Atholl, Ross & Strathearn

Mar, Buchan & Badenoch

WIP- Gilbert de la Haye.
At the time of Bannockburn he was High Constable of Scotland, and the office became heritable. However, for the earlier period, I don’t believe the Hayes were the officeholders. So at this point, he’ll just be whatever member of the Hayes was of age to take the field. As befitting his status by the time of Bannockburn, he’ll be based with the Earl Marischal and the High Steward.

The Commonality of the Realm
This first Schiltron is under the Command of Bishop Wishart of Glasgow, an enthusiastic and active supporter of Bruce and the struggle for independence. He’s the one in armour, not the monk, by the way. There’s a great whinging letter written to Edward by one of his commanders, regarding the good Bishop commanding the forces at the siege of Cupar attired “like a man of war”. Here he is, resplendent in his red and white heraldry, and in possession of his trusty mace. While churchmen were (maybe) forbidden to use an edge on another man, nothing it seems was forbidden about enthusiastically spattering out their brains with a blunt object. Bet his sermons were a riot…

Front rank
The good Bishop berates a luckless minion

]

Second Rank

WIP-
Another base of second rank pike, and the first base of archers. Note the longbows!

Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever

Offline Barry S

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
    • http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/
Re: The Feudal Host of Scotland
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 03:58:26 PM »
Lovely work  :-*
Barry

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l12/LeadBear/

Offline Nevyen

• Scientist
    • 5th Column Wargaming
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 03:58:52 PM »
Awesome work in fact :D !

Offline Admiral Alder

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 04:37:22 PM »
Those Essex miniatures are really Great for Painting, and so versatile.
Looks Great!

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 04:43:47 PM »
Great brushwork :-*
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 05:01:22 PM »
Fantastic Iain! :o :o

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 05:04:03 PM »
Excellent painting!

Oldmeldrum Wargames Group were filmed recently (!) doing a refight of the Battle of Barra in 28mm for a local history project. You should take a look at that one as a scenario or even mini campaign (Inverurie - Barra - Aikey Brae). A few of your personalities took part on each side.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 05:07:43 PM »
15mm  - you're a madman Iain!

The knights are spectacularly good. Wonderful paintwork in this scale  :-*

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2014, 05:08:11 PM »
Brill  8) 8)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2014, 05:26:07 PM »
That's some great painting you've done there, very vibrant.

Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Offline Paul

• Mastermind
    • Paul´s Bods
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2014, 06:51:38 PM »
 :-* :-* :-* :-*
I knew the truck didn´t want to hit me...it had dodge written on the front

Paul´s Bods Blog
Federation of Bodstonia

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2014, 08:06:09 PM »
Really nice work on all fronts!  It is my favorite army to game with, even though they can be a challenge!  Thanks for sharing.

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2014, 05:37:30 AM »
Cracking stuff.

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 08:04:11 AM »
I am not a great fan of 15mm but I must say that these are excellent

Offline Little Odo