Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2024, 01:43:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1695384
  • Total Topics: 118685
  • Online Today: 529
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Zombie Obsession  (Read 5536 times)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
Re: Zombie Obsession
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2009, 02:22:45 PM »
No one can say that you've "done it wrong" - painting, rules etc etc

Would be nice if that were true, but I have seen a few posts criticising other people's choice of colours for zombie flesh. I don't think non-historical subjects are much more imune to this kind of thing than historical ones. A little, but not much more.

Some are even worse, if you take your inspiration from books, telly or films. There are some truly anal people out there  :(

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2009, 02:34:20 PM »
I have to agree that the setting lends itself well to cooperative play which really appeals to me and one of my primary gaming buddies.  That, and playing Vietnam games using FNG are the only games we play cooperatively.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2009, 04:56:17 PM »
... I have seen a few posts criticising other people's choice of colours for zombie flesh.

Really? I don't see the brains in that!

lol

I guess it's not just 'zombies' as there are sub-genres: there's traditional slow zombies, there's fast zombies, there's infected, there's mutations ......

I'm not such a great fan of the traditonal zombie - bit too slow and predictable for me, in movies I like the fast-moving infected.  28 Days and Resident etc were/are great movies, then more recently there's I Am Legend and IMHO quite possibly the best so far, Quarantine.  I spose the germ that started it for me was a friend asking which of some local apartment blocks would be the best bet if it all went 'Legend'.  Plus having a childhood in the 60s/70s/80s I lived through potential Armageddon (anyone else remember that TV documentary assessing which was the best back-garden nuclear shelter?  If I remember right the 6'x4'trench won!).

Gaming wise, zombies are easy, fun, solo-able, etc, in fact all that Akula has previously said. I take my niche WW2 stuff way too seriously, zombies are pure escapism with all sorts of variation possible.

Quarrantine??? Yet another american frame for frame copy of a great foreign film, just cause they don't do subtitles. Go and watch REC the original.

And I am Legend.... I am suffering with rubbish cgi. ;)

Best house is not the big brother house i can tell you, rent DEAD SET, (uk channel 4 film) you won't regrett it.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2009, 06:44:22 AM »
I Am Legend was IMO fuggin' awesome save for the crappy CGI.  Totally broke my suspension of disbelief!  And they could do sooooo much better.  I just don't get it.
Author of the Origins Award 2013 Nominated Brink of Battle: Skirmish Gaming through the Ages; Epic Heroes: Skirmish Gaming in the Realms of Fantasy; and Scrappers: Post-Apocalyptic Skirmish Wargames published by Osprey Games

Offline tjantzen

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2009, 12:16:56 PM »
Another very intriguing aspect of the zombie genre that has not been mentioned yet is the effect of psychology.

“Normal” armed conflicts are all at the bottom line simply a struggle of “guts” – the effect of morale.  The side who breaks first, looses the conflict. Different combatants have different means to trigger this “morale test” – superior numbers, technology, combat skills, fighting brutality or other psychological trigger effects.
In the zombie genre games the psychology is one sided - Only the “human” players are susceptible to moral break down. This make for a very intriguing (and scary) kind of struggle, where normal moral trigger mechanism are ignored by the zombie opponent.

In “normal” struggles the breakdown of moral furthermore means the ceasing of hostile acts between the two fighting sides. In zombie games the “human” side only has one option – Win or die. - Kill all zeds otherwise they’ll keep coming at you until you become one of them.  8)

These facts as well as our ingrown fear (unease) of anything unnatural and dead makes for a whole different gaming experience and are some of the main reasons that this genre has intrigues so many people.

regards
Thomas

« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 12:20:22 PM by tjantzen »

Offline Faust23

• Mastermind
  • Father of Sorrows
    • Strategic Elite: Skirmish Wargames for the Discerning Strategist
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2009, 02:26:41 AM »
Well, I'm simply zombied out. I like mummies.......

Offline pnweerar

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2009, 03:23:02 AM »
You're not the only one. I feel zombies are overdone, but its much easier for me to jump on the bandwagon after the fact, rather than be brave enough to start a thread like this ;) .

If it makes people happy that's cool, but I do feel they're being over done.

Offline Cranky

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2009, 04:14:45 AM »
I think zombies are overdone. Everyone knows their weakness (shoot the brain) they move too slow and if you wait a week or 3 they will rot away to immovable parts.

Also for note, the bad cgi things from I am Legend were more like Feral Vampires than Zombies. Unless the word zombie is now a blanket term for everything dead.

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2009, 04:16:22 AM »
Yup, well it's really just a matter of palates I suppose. Personally I like both Zeds and the mummies and their purses curses. Thanks for the TP tail!

I agree with tjantzen. The moral issue presented by zombies is good fun. It's an interesting side to miniatures games, especially if they emulate it well. Characters with weak minds/hearts/bladders/whatever don't last long in these scenarios and it shows. Fun tool for game strategy, methinks.

And they're almost as plentiful as tides of aliens and other gribblies. Lots of painting practice (and yes, I've decided to put as much effort into painting them as any other miniature), crazy me ;D .
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2009, 02:48:43 PM »
I feel zombies are overdone, but its much easier for me to jump on the bandwagon after the fact, rather than be brave enough to start a thread like this ;) .

Not sure you need to be brave - its personal choice afterall.... ;)

I would love to know what you mean by "overdone" though - overdone, compared to what?

Napoleonics?

WW2 ranges?

Is it because the others are "real" periods....just a thought.

:)