Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:37:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Poll

What 28mm ranges do people want the most?

North Korean
15 (18.8%)
South Korean
4 (5%)
Western Insurgents
34 (42.5%)
Generic Military
27 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: The Range is Hot! Please see page 13 for quick straw poll.  (Read 42886 times)

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
Re: Most Desired 28mm Modern Ranges
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2015, 03:22:47 AM »
I second the Canadians!!!
Some sort of uniformed middle eastern troops (Iraq, Iran, Syria, Egypt etc)
Same as above but African.
Same as above but South American.
Easy right?
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
« Reply #31 on: July 15, 2015, 10:20:04 AM »
commissarmoody:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Danish_Army

I find Wikipedia great for giving an overview of minor nations like this.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #32 on: July 15, 2015, 11:23:11 AM »
right?
I Remember a few years ago a guy tried to do a Kickstart for and Indian modern range but it didn't get funding. I blame  that mostly on not getting the word  out to enough folks about his project and myself being unemployed at the t8me.
Would have bought into it otherwise. lol
And the Latvian, Estonians and modern Finns might work.  That is one reason why I said Germans because the Latvians seem to use a lot of their equipment at the moment and I said Canadian because I believe the Dutch use lots of the same kit also..what to the Danish land forces use these days?

He posted here too. His problems: no green, no real idea of what he was doing, no willingness to put even a bit of effort before the KS. I blame mostly on him about more like a scammer than a serious KS.   lol
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2015, 12:21:16 PM »
He posted here too. His problems: no green, no real idea of what he was doing, no willingness to put even a bit of effort before the KS. I blame mostly on him about more like a scammer than a serious KS.   lol
That two,  it was awhile ago so I forgot about that part, and this is Von Lucky.  I actually found the link last night, but was at break at work so could not look it up when I replied earlier.
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2015, 12:43:24 PM »
I can promise you that I will be doing some up front investment on this range before I ask anyone else to put their cash forward. I remember that kickstarter as well. I understand that people want to see what they are paying for before they put their money forward.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2015, 01:24:49 PM »
Do you have any examples of anything you've previously sculpted? I'd be interested in seeing the style, etc. :)

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2015, 05:52:14 PM »
I wont be sculpting them myself. I am in the process of finding one. I can't remember if I mentioned it in this thread, but the plan is to have them scale with Empress and share a similar style. I am considering ebob, trying to contact Tony Boustead, and also considering the digital sculpting option.

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #37 on: July 15, 2015, 06:02:59 PM »
I can promise you that I will be doing some up front investment on this range before I ask anyone else to put their cash forward. I remember that kickstarter as well. I understand that people want to see what they are paying for before they put their money forward.

Well... there is always Up Front kickscammer... I think that one burned a lot of wargamers, and left some short of several hundred dollars. Me? I did not back that one, and got a cheap legit print on demand copy from Wargame Vault. That was lucky :)

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2015, 07:58:54 PM »
Well... there is always Up Front kickscammer... I think that one burned a lot of wargamers, and left some short of several hundred dollars. Me? I did not back that one, and got a cheap legit print on demand copy from Wargame Vault. That was lucky :)

Ouch, just looked that one up. It seems that a lot of people lost a lot of money. These kind of fiascoes are why nobody trusts kickstarters farther than they can throw them. This is why I made sure to understand that they are an investment that pays out dividends in discounted products. I have invested in a few kickstarters and a couple have been chronically slow to come to fruition, but I know that backing a kickstarter is not buying from a webstore, it is investing in a project that has every possibility of failure that a normal business does. Business investors understand that investments don't always pay off and sometimes you lose. However, this is why most shrewd investors only invest when they have fully researched their market and the project itself.

Sorry about the mini rant, but I wanted to put that out there. Anyone backing a kickstarter of mine will be clearly informed that there is indeed true risk of delays, failure, and complete loss of their investment. I also want them to understand that I will be investing more of my own money than anyone else will be and I will be making non-refundable, up-front investments, such as commissioning sculpts for proof of concept. This project will be my baby and I do not want people to be able claim that I have any less skin in the game.

Anyway, back to our wishlisting!

Offline worrywort

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2015, 07:59:40 PM »
Tony boostead will be very nice

I love his job with empress and underfire miniatures

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2015, 08:16:53 PM »
While they may be less realistic, I'd like to see "Hollywood" type soldiers without helmets. Maybe in t-shirt and jeans or cargo pants.
Something similar to the characters from Strike Back for instance.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #41 on: July 15, 2015, 08:52:18 PM »
While they may be less realistic, I'd like to see "Hollywood" type soldiers without helmets. Maybe in t-shirt and jeans or cargo pants.
Something similar to the characters from Strike Back for instance.

If I do western insurgents, they will look an awful lot like what you describe.

Offline DeltaBravo

• Assistant
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2015, 09:44:13 PM »
Arget, what is your timeline for this?  Don't suppose you're UK based are you?   I only ask as I've been mulling over a small range recently (DRC/East Africa, African Union etc, potentially Entebbe era IDF) and wouldn't want to overlap.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2015, 12:14:46 AM »
A repeated suggestion, no not just mine, that pops up from time to time is generic OPFOR. Separate heads, body armour, chest webbing and then separate arms with a range of typical weapons. AKM, M-16, Galil, G3 etc. Same deal with support weapons, FN MAG, Minimi, PKM, MG-3 etc. Then you do another couple of dollies for a figurewith chest rig webbing but without body armour.  Give head options of Kevlar pot, beret, bush hat/boonie hat etc

They won't be 100% accurate for any particular army but would form the basis for most armies around the world. That means if you doa  good job of them you have the widest potential market.

Some people don't like separate heads but if people are careful they can look quite good, look at the Red Star Indochina range, GB's Mofo range, Empress etc.

Years ago Eureka did something along this lines with their SWAT range. I thought it was a good idea. Separate legs, torsos and helmets, allowing mix and match. For those of us old enough to remember it was like the old Timpo plastic soldiers that many of us grew up playig with as children.

Anyway, just my two cents, which due to currency fluctuation is worth considerably less than it was a year ago.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: July 16, 2015, 08:47:37 PM »
Well, the generic military will be similar to what you describe. They will likely be Chicom rigs with BDU style uniforms and weapons in the AK family. The plan is to have separate heads for the generics so that we can have several heads. The plan is to eventually have:   Bare Heads: Middle Eastern ,Bare Heads: African, Bare Heads: European, PASGT: Middle Eastern, PASGT: African, PASGT: European, Ssh-68: Middle Eastern, Ssh-68: European, and M1: African

I'm thinking 4 separate heads per sprue. While this means a decent amount of repetition, most of these minis will be used for OpFor, which means that it shouldn't cause too many issues. Also, at 28mm, there is only so much visible variation in faces outside of being stereotypically racist, like many non-caucasian faces from many companies.

Gunnar