Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:11:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691101
  • Total Topics: 118373
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Poll

What 28mm ranges do people want the most?

North Korean
15 (18.8%)
South Korean
4 (5%)
Western Insurgents
34 (42.5%)
Generic Military
27 (33.8%)

Total Members Voted: 79

Author Topic: The Range is Hot! Please see page 13 for quick straw poll.  (Read 42877 times)

Offline fraction

• Librarian
    • RvT Historical Miniature Painting & Gaming
Re: Most Desired 28mm Modern Ranges
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2015, 11:41:56 PM »
I really like what Carlos mentioned. Please add berets,  also europeans.  There is a real lack of these. G3s are also always useful.
Facebook site to share my brushwork: https://www.facebook.com/rvtpainting/

Offline AlexM

• Scientist
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2015, 03:17:51 AM »
Here's my list of 28mm modern wants:

1 - Modern Canadians suitable for Afghanistan
2 - Generic Tactical teams - not as high speed as SEAL type operators, but much like what was seen in the news lately - black utilities, rigs, helmets without covers, ARs etc
3 - Modern up to date Israelis
4 - Modern Civilians - Western, Afghan, Middle East, and ones that don't look like they're from a comedy movie
5 - Strike Back team like guys
6 - CIA SAD / Contractors (ball caps, contractor gear, chest rigs, ARs etc, they don't all need bushy beards)
7 - Hostage types - I know head-bagged HVTs are covered by someone, but something similar for generic games
8 - Street cops - Uniforms, peaked caps, etc, something sufficiently generic, with semi automatics, shotguns, etc

That's about it for now, there's always something else :)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2015, 04:21:57 AM »
Not to try to distract from what people want, but eureka and spectre minatures make a lot of the contracter, generic special forces and alphabet soup organization's style guy's.
Only reason I am not tossing out light kit, Plat career, with only chest rig style US Army rangers and airborne units is because I am sure that I read some place that they where already in the works.
Of course there is nothing  wrong with wanting more.  :D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:23:28 AM by commissarmoody »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline AlexM

• Scientist
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2015, 04:29:07 AM »
Not to try to distract from what people want, but eureka and spectre minatures make a lot of the contracter, generic special forces and alphabet soup organization's style guy's.
Only reason I am not tossing out light kit, Plat career, with only chest rig style US Army rangers and airborne units is because I am sure that I read some place that they where already in the works.
Of course there is nothing  wrong with wanting more.  :D

Very fair point! I think what we're missing are the inbetweeners...The guys in ball caps with some scruff, but not full beards. Empress's SF cover OP Neptune Spear era, or 2001-2 really, there's not a really good representation of ODA types with issue BDUs, Caps, or helmets, scarves, mid-decade gear - OMLT, POMLT, ODA/ETT Types etc. ..

.but maybe it's just me. To Spectre's credits, their figures are cutting modern edge representations.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 04:31:48 AM by AlexM »

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2015, 04:36:59 AM »
True one all points, and even though I am pulling for some IDF, I totally  want to get some Canadians for some red dawn action or to convert over to the Dutch or Danes.
That is right after I get some NORK and ROK action on in Korea...I need to get a better job to support my addiction.

Offline AlexM

• Scientist
« Reply #50 on: July 18, 2015, 12:33:02 AM »
Oh! Forgot to add one -

USMC in MOPP suits, no masks, for Invasion of Iraq/Thunder Run to Baghdad.

That's all.

Offline Damas

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • Re-enactor, modeller, stooge
« Reply #51 on: July 18, 2015, 03:28:17 PM »
I just thought of another personal vanity request, the two riders and bikes from CHiPs (California Highway Patrol) series.
"Old gamers don't die, they just smell like that."

Offline Barbarian

• Librarian

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2015, 11:14:45 PM »
I take it that vehicles are out of the question? Though (as with all equipment) a lot of countries are still using ones from decades ago, and so you can use those (albeit with some conversion work required, that is if you can those at all too), its difficult to get a hold of much of the current generation stuff. The Americans and the Brits are catered for, well at least you can get a hold of the mainstream stuff, but otherwise you're a tad stuffed.

The market in that area's aimed at 1/35th scale kits unfortunately. I guess down to the nature of vehicles being a bit boutique in an a time period which already doesn't have the largest player base. Admittedly people perhaps just don't see the point in making vehicles as games are often played with infantry skirmishes. The array of stuff being used out there's massive too, though saying that even the most common vehicles aren't covered.

There are diecasts out there which are usable, but these are few and far between. For instance right now I'm trying to hunt down a Gaz Tigr (the humvee style jeep that the Russians currently use), and though there were foreign diecasts available years ago, like hell I'll ever find one in 28mm scale. I suppose its an area where you either have to scratch build the stuff yourself or go without. Just a thought though, such as if you're doing Israelis then you could have their stuff (though they aren't perhaps the best example as you can in fact buy Merkavas or convert up Russian tanks to be their APCs).

My point? Hmn, I'm not sure if there is one other than whether its an area you're interested in or not.

Offline arget8

• Scientist
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2015, 02:14:41 AM »
At this point, no vehicles. If the ranges have success, that would entirely be a possibility.

Offline peachy rex

• Bookworm
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2015, 03:56:53 PM »
Just saw that Stan Johansen Miniatures has two packs of IDF about to debut.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2015, 07:50:50 PM »
It may be the painting style, but those Stan Johansen Miniatures look a bit "80s" looking. Of course if there all there is then that's what people will use, though at least with the images on their site they don't really have the same style as Empress' models. Hmn, a head swap may "fix" them however.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2015, 11:21:20 PM »
It may be the painting style, but those Stan Johansen Miniatures look a bit "80s" looking. Of course if there all there is then that's what people will use, though at least with the images on their site they don't really have the same style as Empress' models. Hmn, a head swap may "fix" them however.

Hey, as someone who came of age in the 1980s, I object to the 'looks a bit '80s' being used as a stand in expression for 'looks totally shite'. :)

Be fair, tooth paste is a notoriously difficult sculpting medium.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2015, 12:34:22 AM »
Hey, as someone who came of age in the 1980s, I object to the 'looks a bit '80s' being used as a stand in expression for 'looks totally shite'.  :)

I think it is so often used in other references in the same way (80s sounding - for music and 80s looking - for clothes and hairstyles etc) that it has become a tactful metaphor.
 :D

Offline peachy rex

• Bookworm
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2015, 03:34:33 AM »
They're not quite Empress or Eureka from the pics, this is true; but moderns are so patchily covered that it seems a shame to have any duplication at all.