Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:28:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691075
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 746
Total: 753

Recent

Author Topic: British in the ACW? Perry's new range. More on Page 4  (Read 14100 times)

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
Re: British in the ACW? Perry's new range
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2014, 02:16:52 AM »
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2014, 11:06:15 AM »
You could also use these for the 1859 'Pig War', the armed stand off that very nearly became open conflict betwixt Britain and the US. Do the Perry twins make US Army in frock coats and Hardee Hats? I seem to recall Crusader does.

That was perhaps the low point in US/UK relations over Canada... War over a matter of Pigs!

I wonder what weirdness [from their view point]  the Next Generation (after Millenials) will think of the things Boomers, Gen X, Gen Y, etc.,) will shake their heads over?

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2014, 12:23:32 PM »
Right then, who makes the best pig miniatures in 28mm?
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2014, 12:33:43 PM »
Peter Pig?  lol

LAM has some nice ones.  :-*
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2014, 01:21:37 PM »
So, on the basis of what the Smithsonian and other sources tell me, there's was both the Hardee hat at a forage cap in circulation from 1858. These seem to have replaced the earlier 1851 'cap' which seems to have been a French style felt shako(?) of the type worn by the Perry Early  Federal Militia (ACW 49).

This suggests that possible options for the US 9th Infantry might be either the Crusader Hardee hat and frock coated infantry,  Crusader's frock coated infantry with kepi (close enough to a forage cap for me), or the Perry brothers' ACW 34, Union infantry in frock coats, forage caps and backpacks

The Hardee hat seems to have been almost universally despised by the troops and from what I can gather was principally used as a dress item being largely supplanted by the forage cap. I glimpsed a photo of US artillery on San Juan Island, date unknown and they seemed mostly to be wearing brimmed hats. Maybe a mix of the two Crusader types would be my best bet, they are at least in the same pose and also marginally cheaper. Crusader mix reasonably well with Perry don't they?

I have RN types sorted as I have a number of the Mutiny era Foundry ones. Who makes the best US navy types?

Comments? Suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 01:25:20 PM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Adam

• Scientist
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2014, 02:13:24 PM »
Redoubt does an ACW naval landing party:

http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=51f9b8b83742d7a5cde73fcaab50b96f

Not sure how they size up against other manufacturers. I believe some of their other ranges are on the large size

Edit: also this ironclad crew pack. Pic shows gun crew, but description says marines as well

http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/shop/?page=shop/flypage&product_id=2699&category_id=56e536e171648fca3e86c6200c05f313

« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 02:17:58 PM by Adam »

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2014, 02:30:26 PM »
That was perhaps the low point in US/UK relations over Canada... War over a matter of Pigs!

Right then, who makes the best pig miniatures in 28mm?

How about a new Osprey? 'Armies of the Pig War: Volume One - Boars, Saddlebacks and Guinea Hogs'...

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
How about a new Osprey? 'Armies of the Pig War: Volume One - Boars, Saddlebacks and Guinea Hogs'...

I might get it just to put it on the front room coffee table.... oh, wait, we don't have one...

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2014, 02:55:04 PM »
Well, pigs aside, in the Deadlands setting, the British annex Detroit during the Civil War. Mostly to make a statement, however they don't leave after the war either. I think I need a Detroit detachment now :)
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2014, 03:02:15 PM »
Ooh I could see the British joining forces with the French on a dual approach in the ACW, does sound rather tasty though dont think I would do it

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2014, 03:10:22 PM »
Nice photo of the RM garrison on San Juan Island.

Lots of good gaming fodder here:

http://www.nps.gov/sajh/index.htm

http://www.nps.gov/media/photo/gallery.htm?id=024644B2-155D-4519-3EF5182C0FAEE83D

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2014, 03:12:56 PM »
Ooh I could see the British joining forces with the French on a dual approach in the ACW, does sound rather tasty though dont think I would do it

The Maximilian Adventure as alternate reality?  Heck add Belgium and you could have your own Triple Entente (Belgium replacing Russia) early?  Or you could call it the Triple Neocolonialism Alliance.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2014, 03:16:06 PM »
The Maximilian Adventure as alternate reality?  Heck add Belgium and you could have your own Triple Entente early?  Or you could call it the Triple Neocolonialism Alliance.

Gracias,

Glenn

Oh yes, I dabbled in the Mexican adventure many moons ago when Foundry first brought out their range, also used them for fighting Apache etc ;D

I know the British initially occupied (from memory so dont quote me) Vera Cruz owing to debts needing payment. There would be nothing to stop a combined force :D I remember pulling idfeas for a 15mm Fire and Fury French/Belgian/Austro army together

It would make for a great campaign etc

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2014, 03:16:55 PM »
You could do the SPI (?) Monster Board Game (Invasion America?) with Russia, France, UK, and Spain invading North America trying to make claims reality and/or  reclaiming "breakaway colonies" just for fun.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2014, 03:23:10 PM »
Well, pigs aside, in the Deadlands setting, the British annex Detroit during the Civil War. Mostly to make a statement, however they don't leave after the war either. I think I need a Detroit detachment now :)

Substitute Detroit for New York...

Major Strasser: Are you one of those people who cannot imagine the Germans in their beloved Paris?

Rick: It's not particularly my beloved Paris.

Heinz: Can you imagine us in London?

Rick: When you get there, ask me!

Captain Renault: Hmmh! Diplomatist!

Major Strasser: How about New York?

Rick: Well there are certain sections of New York, Major, that I wouldn't advise you to try to invade.

Gracias,

Glenn