Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:04:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690584
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 822
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Vermis' Dragon Rampant efforts. Episode One: A Foolhardy Venture.  (Read 1471 times)

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
The LR epidemic has got to me. It's one of those rare games that gets me itching to do some army building, and I'm going to show it off. So this'll be like my gang warfare topic, only bigger. :) The forces will also be more uniform, being less random minis from my lead pile, and more small armies I'd already started to collect for Warhammer and other battle games. They include...

- Skaven. I've had three aborted army-building attempts with these, so far. The last time I'd decided to go with one of the minor clans in the official fluff, Clan Grutnik. Owners of large warpstone mines which means they can afford lots of Clan Moulder and Skryre goodies, and also means lots of mutant slaves! Sounds good to me. Though there's another official clan I'm tempted by...

- High Elves. Relatively convenient thanks to the eighth edition starter set; a 28mm counterpart to one of my Warmaster armies; and a bit of a change from the grungy armies I usually go for.

- Dark Elves. A counterpoint to the high elves. Also an excuse to get those Jes Goodwin cold ones, before they disappear.

- Ogres and Halflings. This is an old project, started back when Ogre Kingdoms showed up in Warhammer 6th ed. I thought the plastics were okay but preferred the old imperial, less obese look. I dunno why, but I also got a kick out of their affinity with halflings, so I took the fluff of migration and culture assimilation and transplanted a tribe beside the Moot. Bodyguards and militia, well-paid with halfling cuisine.
Problem is it meant a lot of conversion and use of gnoblar rules that I wasn't satisfied with, so it fizzled out. It almost got started again with God of Battles (ogres and halflings in the mercs list) and Mayhem (whip up your own stats), but I think Dragon Rampant will be a good fit. For one thing, I don't know if I can afford or even get many more old C11 halflings to fill out the mass-battle ranks. Other halfling ranges just don't appeal as much...

The bits and pieces of the old O&H project can be seen here. I'm going to scrape some of the putty back and strip the paint, and see where I go from there.

Though before that, I'm going to do a little high elf modelling. To begin with, take a bunch of spearmen legs...