Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:02:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cheetors Alien Flora & Fauna: Cirripods 25/10/16  (Read 25104 times)

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
Re: Cheetors Alien Flora & Fauna: Hostile Flora added 15/02/14
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2014, 10:29:55 AM »
As the yoof would say, this whole topic is full of win :D

Great painting on a great selection of models.

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 10:44:21 AM »
What a wonderful collection of minis!

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 10:44:49 AM »
Great stuff, I must get some plants for my own projects.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 10:49:12 AM by matakishi »

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 11:42:38 AM »
Thanks for the encouraging feedback everyone!  

The plants were good fun to paint (and I am now a lot more familiar with the lyrics from the Little Shop Of Horrors as a result).

I really like RT creatures, I had some ideas for these creatures but you did a much better job finding close proxies.

Some of the model choices were just sudden inspiration when I saw a friends model in hand (the Devil) or a model in a bargain bin (the Cudbear).  The Ferro Beasts are not-Rust Monsters anyway, so that was a straightforward thing, like the not-Beholder = Enslaver.  

The process gets a bit more "music inspired by the motion picture" when dealing with Death Ferrets (no official image available as far as I know, plus ferret models are thin on the ground) and things like that, but that s fine.  Im looking for analogous stuff rather than exact matches really, although things that look as close to the original illustrations as the Ice Wyrm to the Devil and the SotTR werebear to Cthells greatest hug machine are a definite bonus.

Great stuff, I must get some plants for my own projects.

Armorcast didnt ship my order with the plants in it for three months.  I never had that problem with orders from them before and they did respond to emails and I am happy with the product that I eventually... but its worth noting I guess.

The plant models are fun though, heavy on the pulp factor, so I would recommend them.

I have the Ramshackle mutant plants and some other similar stuff ready to photograph when I get the opportunity.  They are in the same vein as the Armorcast models really, just smaller.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 07:52:34 PM by cheetor »

former user

« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 12:34:08 PM »
oh man - I am so stunned and envious and and it is so inspiring!
THX for sharing

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 01:28:51 PM »
Armorcast didnt ship my order with the plants in it for three months.  I never had that problem with orders from them before and they did respond to emails and I am happy with the product that I eventually... but its worth noting I guess.

The plant models are fun though, heavy on the pulp factor, so I would recommend them.

I have the Ramshackle mutant plants and some other similar stuff ready to photograph when I get the opportunity.  They are in the same vein as the Armorcast models really, just smaller.

I'll probably go with Ramshackle, I like Curtis' stuff even though I find it a bugger to degrease.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2014, 03:00:07 PM »
WOW  :o

That armorcast stuff is just brilliant! Your painting really brings it all to life!

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2014, 08:31:27 PM »
 Great new additions to the collection.The armorcast pieces are very nice.Like the extra plant pieces you have added to yours.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2014, 02:31:04 PM »
Great new additions to the collection.The armorcast pieces are very nice.Like the extra plant pieces you have added to yours.

Thanks.  I have a very large pile of aquarium plants on the table in the man-cave at the moment being prepped to make an alien jungle.  Those bits were added to the resin pods and traps to try to integrate those pieces in with their surroundings a bit.  They also help to make the models look a little more 3D somehow, less like a series of rounded cast shapes.

WOW  :o

That armorcast stuff is just brilliant! Your painting really brings it all to life!

Thanks Jonas.  These pieces do have a certain prehistoric vibe that would look good with your dinos I think.

oh man - I am so stunned and envious and and it is so inspiring!
THX for sharing

The models are a little on the pricy side, particularly including transatlantic shipping, but they are quite unique looking and satisfyingly big and impressive models, so they were worth it I think.

I'll probably go with Ramshackle, I like Curtis' stuff even though I find it a bugger to degrease.

Hmm. Other than a quick washing up liquid and warm water wash after sanding I havent had that problem with Ramshackle stuff.  I Have been using Fairy Power Spray to strip miniatures recently and its great.  Its intended for cleaning burnt, greasy pots.  I mjiight use that on the next batch of Ramshackle resin that I clean.

Speaking of which, I hope to get some photos of the Ramshackle mutant plants up early next week, maybe tomorrow.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2014, 02:47:52 PM »
I have wanted some armorcast terrain for a long time, but the prices have been putting me off for now. I guess it will have to wait untill a day I feel rich or surf their page while drunk  lol

Offline Doomsdave

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2014, 04:25:25 AM »
Excellent realization of all these classic beasties.  I really like the blue Dungers.  I might steal that idea.  Looks great over all. 
This is my boomstick!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2014, 12:35:53 PM »
Excellent realization of all these classic beasties.  I really like the blue Dungers.  I might steal that idea.  Looks great over all. 

Thanks Doomsdave, progress is good and I am happy enough with most of it.

I have nearly finished the generic space jungle (read "vividly coloured aquarium plant") portion of the Deathworld project, which is the largest element by a long way.  I should have some images of that over the next few days.  But today I will post up the remainder of the more interesting flora.

Firstly the technorganic terrain elements from Sedition Wars.  I figured that the shapes on these would work well as part of this project, so a quick paint job later and they are part of the Deathworld.

I dont want to get into a discussion about SW here - there is plenty written about it in other places - but the short version regarding the terrain set is that its hard plastic of some sort - not restic - and its really rather high quality.

Next up is a quick refurbishing job on some Horrorclix.  I didnt fully repaint these, I just rebased, ink washed and drybrushed them to tie them in with the rest of my terrain and figures a little better.  The Pod Zombies will be used to represent models that have been infected with the Spiker plants invasive reproductive techniques: these guys will represent miniatures transmogrifying into plants and getting in the way.  A low effort/high return sub-project :)

Lastly is this selection of Ramshackle Mutant Plants.  Like almost everything in this project they have been painted more quickly than I would paint a normal 28mm figure, but I like how they turned out.  Ramshackle figures are fun to paint quickly.

Thats the last of the more interesting jungle plants finished for now, but I should have photos of the large quantity of aquarium plant jungle photographed over the next couple of days.  In the meantime the blog posts about the bits above with more photos and discussion are HERE (Horrorclix) and HERE (Ramshackle and Sedition Wars).

Comments and criticisms all welcome of course.

Offline Jonas

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • OUT OF PRINT!
    • Deathworld Adventures
Re: Cheetors Alien Flora & Fauna: Ramshackle/Sed.Wars/Horrorclix added 18/02/14
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2014, 10:59:53 PM »
Oh yeah! This is just so great!!!!

Please take some photos of your complete flora and fauna soon  :-* :-* :-* :-*

I am following the blog already, so I already saw most of this, but my jaw still drops each time I see your stuff!!!

o_o AWESOME!

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2014, 11:25:29 AM »

Thanks for the enthusiastic encouragement Jonas :)

I tried taking some group shots last night as I have the aquarium plant space jungle elements finished.  I think that I have been staring at the lurid vegetation for too long to be able to see it objectively now though.  I want to table to look vague likely like the Star Wars planet "Felucia", but at this stage I am afraid it might have ended up like a Playmobil desert island set with regurgitated Skittles all over it.

Anyway, photos of the table to follow later, maybe today.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2014, 12:30:29 PM »
 :o :o :o

Oh, my giddy aunt!!!

There is so much goodness in this thread it should be banned!
Far too good.
 :-* :-* :-*

I HAVE to get loads of those plants, so many uses.
I have a couple of bits that you have but some of these are 'must haves'

Thanks for the heads up, cheetor!
 :D :D :D

Have you considered these lovely little critturs, Vardu Sprouts from Hydra Miniatures:

And some more here with one of those Horrorclix thingies on the base.

http://shop.hydraminiatures.com/index.php?cPath=3_30