Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:27:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Early renaissance Scots army, latest update page 10  (Read 17819 times)

Offline Griefbringer

• Scientist
Re: Early Scots Pike
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 05:04:40 PM »
They do not look that early to me, but then again lately I have been more into Middle Ages than all this new fangled 16th century stuff...

That said, this reminds me that I have some spare plastic Perry foot knights and a few left over pike arms from the Mercenaries set, I should try combining those at some point to provide some well-harnessed Flemish foot. But that will probably wait until next year.

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2020, 09:32:08 AM »
I'm a bamboozled by the pavise question- how would one carry a pavise and a pike unless it was slung on the back? And even then?

Not sure if this is accurate, but weren't the front ranks of the schiltron noblemen?  If so, wouldn't they have retainers to maybe carry the pavisse in front of them?
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2020, 10:44:41 AM »
Thinking of it, there are other examples of similar heavy infantry from the period like this

Online Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2020, 10:45:57 AM »
Not sure if this is accurate, but weren't the front ranks of the schiltron noblemen?  If so, wouldn't they have retainers to maybe carry the pavisse in front of them?

Who knows? This is the problem with just about all Medieval sources. another problem might be; do we know there were enough Noblemen to fill the front ranks of the pike blocks?

I'm trying to remember whether I read about the front ranks from a secondary (or more likely tertiary) source quoting a primary source or no..... it's something that I would have to go back to.

So, to launch ourselves back OT. The standard of the putty work is top notch Stuart and I cannot wait to see them painted up and ready for action  8)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 10:49:25 AM by Atheling »

Online Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2020, 10:50:56 AM »
Thinking of it, there are other examples of similar heavy infantry from the period like this

Hmmm.... good point. At what point does a large shield end and a pavise begin?

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2020, 11:18:32 AM »
It’s what you do with it that counts  ;)

Online Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2020, 12:27:25 PM »
It’s what you do with it that counts  ;)

True. And everyone has their own interpretation of what they feel to be right from the sources etc.

I look forward to seeing more- it all looks very enthralling thus far  8)

Offline whiskey priest

• Scientist
    • the Leadpile
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2020, 07:27:36 PM »
do we know there were enough Noblemen to fill the front ranks of the pike blocks?

I think if you look at the rolls of the Scots Nobility who died while at Flodden while fighting in the front rank you get and idea of how many must have been fighting. The Scots nobility was hamstrung for a generation after the battle.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2020, 08:29:54 AM »
I think if you look at the rolls of the Scots Nobility who died while at Flodden while fighting in the front rank you get and idea of how many must have been fighting. The Scots nobility was hamstrung for a generation after the battle.

Well, if I was a nobleman or the son/wife/brother/parent of a nobleman who died in battle. I would want the records to show that I died valiantly whilst fighting in the front rank.
Those kinds of records are seldom truly trustworthy. There are often so manny people who die fighting in the front rank, that you might think that there are no other ranks...

Edit: Ohh and back on topic. The conversions look amazing.

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
Re: Early renaissance Scots army
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2020, 11:52:41 AM »
I thought i'd modify the title so I can just keep this thread going as the Scots units take shape. It's also a small encouragement to myself to create many many units !

Here's the first completed unit prior to basing, some hardy borderers looking for trouble. You can see the finished unit over on the blog;

https://stuartsworkbench.blogspot.com/2020/09/scots-borderers-and-english-infantry.html

Thanks

Stuart

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2020, 11:59:28 AM »
Great looking bunch. Well done!

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2020, 12:01:43 PM »
Wonderful creations, so much character packed into 28mm.  They look fearsome and there is only a few so far...great anticipation of more to come.

Online Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2020, 01:15:22 PM »
Superb work Stuart- all little works of art in their own right  :-* :-* :-* :-*

The chap with the gambeson on the right is excellently sculpted- very impressive one and all :)

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2020, 01:32:58 PM »
Thanks should go to Michael Perry for that one. It’s from a pack of open handed standing bill / pike. I just added a cap to the helmet  :)

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2020, 02:20:48 PM »
Excellent work! And nice conversion of the Henry VI figure too!